Ideas for Two large panes of Glass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have Two large Panes of Glass with alum edge so stiff and rigid and I believe the glass is strengthened.

They measure 1.5m square.

I was thinking what i could do with them and so far the ideas I have are :-

Cloche tops
Giant Solar Dehydrator
Solar thermal heater.

Anything else I could do with them?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... before you think of most thermal applications check if it has a selective coating, that spoils most of them.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depending on the dimensions, they could be used as cooker hob splash-backs. You could do original artwork on it, either painted or with a print behind it, mount it 'clean' side out, and you'd have a unique splash-back design. Typically, the artwork should bring in/combine the colour scheme of the kitchen decor.

This is one I've designed for a kitchen with various shades of green as the decor :)

Hob Glas Back Design - 2056.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At that size, 60" square or so, they'd make a roof and windbreak panel for a garden nook :)
Someplace to sit and chill out, enjoy the day or night without getting sodden wet :rolleyes2:
You could practice with the firebow, carve a something ? make some rope, have a quiet brew......

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Isn't it the case that even if they have a UV blocker that only works one way round? So put inside out and the heat will come through?
I suggest an invisible A frame tarp type shelter.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
For something completely different, an ant farm.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
On a similar vein to the ant farm, maybe a wormery/composter. You could probably earn huge money by testing just how biodegradable all the new packaging materials truly are and posting timelapse videos on YouTube. You think I'm kidding don't you :)

My vote would be cold frame though as I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself, there's a upvc window place up the road who leaves all the old windows and frames outside up for grabs.

Reactions: TeeDee

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Huge solar wax extractor was first thing that came to my mind, but then I am a hobby beekeeper after all.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Isn't it the case that even if they have a UV blocker that only works one way round?
Some metallized foils act as UV filters but what is usually put on windows is an IR reflector coating.

So far they have always worked both ways.

Mar 14, 2014
USA
For something completely different, an ant farm.

That would make a good and educational project for kids.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE