Iceland Vs Look What We Found meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
For a good tasting curry just make up a simple base curry and stick it in zip lock bags when needed pour into your pan add whatever you want meat or veg wise, this guy takes you through making authentic tasting Indian curries, H4ppy leader.com he is on you tube, Iceland is somewhere I don't shop in but I will give the sachet meals a try.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a point actually; you know how we can make jarred sauces, etc. (what the Americans call canning), does anyone have any information or links to bags that can be filled, sealed and then pressure cooked to make them sterile/safe to store, like these pouch things we've been talking about ?

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's a point actually; you know how we can make jarred sauces, etc. (what the Americans call canning), does anyone have any information or links to bags that can be filled, sealed and then pressure cooked to make them sterile/safe to store, like these pouch things we've been talking about ?

cheers,
Toddy

The retort pouches are very hard to find in domestic quantities - the jars have that "one way valve" ability in the two part lids - it is hard to re-create that cheaply in domestic pouches.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go

[video=youtube;RUkln2Qd_zo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUkln2Qd_zo[/video]

In effect, seal in a heavy retort pouch - always cold pack (but pre-cook red meats), then pressure can in a presealed state

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Has anyone used the lwwf rice ?
It only has microwave instructions. I Wer wonderin if it could be safely boiled in bag ? I mean as in safe to eat ? And how long did you boil for ?
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Seems all the follow on replies, don't help a drunk in a field ....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Chis :) I don't know about the lwwf rice, but I know that the ordinary rice in bags that can be nuked, can be heated safely in the bag in boiling water. I tore a tiny wee edge of the top corner of a pack and boiled it up. In a micro the John West ones (49p a pack just now in Home Bargains) take two minutes. I put mine into a pot, covered it with hot water and put a lid on the pot. I was using one of the cassette stoves and it was near the end of a cartridge so it was going slow. I reckon I gave it maybe five minutes at most. It came out fine, hot, and wasn't hard. I suspect I didn't need to tear the bag at all, but I was playing it safe.
You could try it at home and see how it works out for you?

cheers,
M

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Sorry Chis :) I don't know about the lwwf rice, but I know that the ordinary rice in bags that can be nuked, can be heated safely in the bag in boiling water. I tore a tiny wee edge of the top corner of a pack and boiled it up. In a micro the John West ones (49p a pack just now in Home Bargains) take two minutes. I put mine into a pot, covered it with hot water and put a lid on the pot. I was using one of the cassette stoves and it was near the end of a cartridge so it was going slow. I reckon I gave it maybe five minutes at most. It came out fine, hot, and wasn't hard. I suspect I didn't need to tear the bag at all, but I was playing it safe.
You could try it at home and see how it works out for you?

cheers,
M
Had a nosey in Home bargains, the choice of bagged Rice was good. Fairly priced too goodjob

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
It only has microwave instructions. I Wer wonderin if it could be safely boiled in bag ? I mean as in safe to eat ? And how long did you boil for ?
Cheers

I've used them. They're pretty good. Boil in the bag for 5 - 10 mins according to the LWWF website.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The microwave rice in pouches will boil in the bag no problem, its pretty much pre cooked and drop the bag in boiling water for a few minutes to finish it off, thats all the microwave does and everyone seems to be selling it cheap enough these days from B&M/Poundstretcher for about 60p a go to Tesco/Iceland/Asda. Long shelf life and they come in 'exotic' flavours these days...perfect for you lazy blighter's who can't be asked to boil some rice and season as needed (see pot cozy thread for saving fuel);)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Cheers

Never tried the LWWF rice mate, but uncle ben's microwave only rice "boils in the bag" just fine.

Last edited:

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
How do you dehydrate yours then PDA1? I haven't tried but I like the idea.

Thank you to the OP for posting ... Im off on expedition next week so I will be popping into Iceland first!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
The retort pouches are very hard to find in domestic quantities - the jars have that "one way valve" ability in the two part lids - it is hard to re-create that cheaply in domestic pouches.

Does that mean you have to cook the meals in pressure cooker all the time before sealing them? What's the process?

I was looking into maybe getting a vacuum sealer with some bags from Lakeland as they do make Boil in the Bag (BITB) bags. I though that I'd make something fresh then portion it out and then vacuum sealing.

I think that proper sous vide is to seal up raw and then cook very slowly in hot (not boiling) water. I saw your post about moving stuff from cans to pouches too, and why you might want to do that as it might introduce air which then give botuslism a chance. I do think that using pouches would be a good idea, but then again I was brought up on BITB rather than cans, so I just prefer to use them, especially as you need to have enough water for dehydrated rations (either carry or purify).

Sorry, rambling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE