Iceland Vs Look What We Found meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Right, I got the pouches out of the bin and here is what they say

ICELAND

PER 100G AND PER POUCH

ENERGY 155KCAL 618KCAL

PROTEIN 11G 44G

CARBS 5.9G 23.6G

FAT 9.7G 38.7

FIBRE 25G 99G

SODIUM 0.5G 1.8G

SALT 1.1G 4.5G

LWWF

ENERGY 145G 363G

PROTEIN 7.5 18.8

CARBS 6.5 16.3

FAT 9.7 24.3

SODIUM 0.21 0.53

SALT 0.53 1.33

Nothing in either that will kill you but a lot more energy in the Iceland meal.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
If you don't like what it says on the packet, make your own, then you have control ovewr content, portion size etc. made in bulk they will probably be better tasting than any shop bought, and less expensive too. I dehydrate mine for backpacking. Great value compared with retail brands.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Looking at both plates of food it is clearly obvious where the additional weight is coming from; and that would be added water. To even the score a bit add a small cup of water to the lwwf meal, give it a quick mix and there we go. Tis nice to chomp into a bit of chicken though, all be it don't pretend for one second it came from a happy hen hoose, but then where did the lwwf one come from? 6 and half a dozen if you ask me, but the weight issue is simply one of water.

EDIT - After some squinting I see the lwwf meal says free range chicken. Which by UK standards is marginally better than a barn chicken in most cases, not a debate to get into or out of with my sanity.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
This is a really stupid question I no, but as Iceland is predominantly a freezer shop, are these pouches on a shelf in store or fridge etc?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Looking at both plates of food it is clearly obvious where the additional weight is coming from; and that would be added water. To even the score a bit add a small cup of water to the lwwf meal, give it a quick mix and there we go. Tis nice to chomp into a bit of chicken though, all be it don't pretend for one second it came from a happy hen hoose, but then where did the lwwf one come from? 6 and half a dozen if you ask me, but the weight issue is simply one of water.

EDIT - After some squinting I see the lwwf meal says free range chicken. Which by UK standards is marginally better than a barn chicken in most cases, not a debate to get into or out of with my sanity.

Actually - no it isn't! Check out the contents, calorific value, protein etc of the two containers listed by Rik. Unless water contains considerable amounts of these, water isn't the explanation!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Has anyone used the lwwf rice ?
It only has microwave instructions. I Wer wonderin if it could be safely boiled in bag ? I mean as in safe to eat ? And how long did you boil for ?
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't eat meat, but I do shop in Iceland. I do buy packs that go into the freezer.
It's not high end 'all green, all organic, all from the farm half a mile away' food, but it's straightforward, what it says on the packet, in decent sized portions, with variety, food, and at a price that doesn't break the bank.
They also pack with very clear labels, so the allergen's that irk the living daylights out of me are easily spotted if they're included. Good for folks watching salt, E numbers, gluten, dairy, etc.,

I don't feed HWMBLT frozen meals very often, but he does like their Chinese sweet and sour chicken or pork ones as an occasional change, and I like the mixed packs of veggies.

Would I buy the sachets that Richard first mentioned for him going camping ? Yes, I would. Not so over spiced and seasoned that the guts get upset, but tasty enough that it's a good meal with rice or bread. Easy to carry, to heat up and little fuss to clean up behind, especially if you pack a long handled spoon :)

http://www.iceland.co.uk/our-food/our-food-quality

atb,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nope, looks like they do similar but in packs/trays and not the bags. While I remember, B&M are selling mylar packs of sliced spud with ham and Spanish omelette for about a quid a pack some are 250g and others 300g.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those boxed sachet things Richard mentioned; I bought the potato and onion ones and fried one pack up for lunch. It's a bit tight for two but a hearty meal for one :)

M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Those boxed sachet things Richard mentioned; I bought the potato and onion ones and fried one pack up for lunch. It's a bit tight for two but a hearty meal for one :)

M

Thats what we found when they sold them a year or two back, but for brekkie with a couple of eggs, beans, black pudding, sausages, and bacon did nicely for two... typical bushcraft breakfast :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've used similar pouches that I got in Tesco in the ethnic food shelf area.
Very cheap, and not bad tasting.

In my experience, the LWWF meals are great tasting, but the portion size is a little small after a day out in the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE