Iceland - Roadtrip - April 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just dropped the hammer on flights, camper van hire and two nights at a Hotel in Reykjavik for Easter next year.

We've talked about going for ages but after a very difficult year, Debs and I have decided to go for it.

We'll be spending a fortnight on a circular tour visiting the sights and taking lots of photos I hope, then a couple of days in Reykjavik to round things off.

I know a camper van isn't very "bushy" but it represented the best way for us to cover a lot of territory and also remain flexible on where we stop overnight.

The purpose of this thread then is to gather ideas and inspiration for places to go, things to see and perhaps things to avoid. I'm sure some of you will have been there before so I'm looking for good advice.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good on you; I hope you have a marvellous time.

From what I hear about the place it's impossible to imagine anything to avoid, apart from maybe the rotting shark...

The museum of witchcraft could be worth a punt?

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Never been, I'd take a fishing rod and see if I couldn't connect with an early sea run arctic charr, but thats just my OCD kicking in. There are certain key words that trigger it, "Iceland" being one.

Sounds like a good way to scope the place out, and a camper van seems eminently sensible in that regard.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It sounds like a great adventure Gary and I'm glad you're both in a good position to able to do it.

I'll be looking forward to the pictures and write up when you get back from it :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You will love it up there, i used to go twice a year, you have to go the Blue Lagoon and if you get right up north take a trip to Akureyri, it's absolutely stunning, look up Palli Kristjánsson (http://www.knifemaker.is/) just outside of Rey, he used to offer home cooked meals at his house too, but not sure if he does this any longer, his blades are incredible though, when you are in Rey, go to the Cathedral and take the lift to the top for a superb view of the city.

The shark sounds worse than it is, ive eaten it many a time up there and enjoyed it, ive not been to Rey for a few years now, but the chef at the Radission SAS Saga by Rey airport was renowned at one stage for the best Arctic Char in Iceland, the restaurant you want is the one on the top floor, it wasnt cheap by any means, but by god, was it tasty, not sure if he is still there though.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Some of my pics from ages ago to whet your appetite

ViewoverREYfromCathedralC.jpg

ReyCathedral.jpg

MountainsonroadfromMosfallbaerG.jpg

MountainsonroadfromMosfallbaerCC.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a wonderful trip, campervan and all. It has to be a great way of touring but remember to take you maximum duty free tipple with you, a tot over there is pricey,

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There is/was a member here, Michel Blomgren, who walked across Iceland and made a video about the trip, the video can be viewed on Vimeo. Its mostly in Swedish but might give you a feel for the land and maybe some of the people.

There was a kit related webpage for the trip however I cannot find the link.

[video=vimeo;21532113]http://vimeo.com/21532113[/video]

Edited to add:

Found the related webpage via the wayback machine.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE