Ice fishing in UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just wondering if it's possible and if anyone has done it?
Well, I know that it's possible if we have a deep and long enough freeze, but then I don't know what you'd be fishing for if we did.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Here ice fishing is one of the favorite ways of getting off home in winter time. Perch is the main catch but almost all species can be caught. Freezing my bottom off in the middle of a lake is not my way of fun, I prefer cross country skiing.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not ice fishing in the traditional sense Tony, but i used to smash the ice up to fish when i fished things like the winter league, fished with very fine tackle, often a wire tipped float held in the surface skim with a smear of Vaseline, 12oz hook length with bloodworm & joker and we fished for eyes as we called them (tiny roach, rudd, gudgeon & perch), the comps used to be won with mere ounces sometimes, good fun though.

We used to use a 5lb sledge hammer head attached to length of chain, tied to a rope, throw the head out smash through the ice then use the chain as a saw to cut the ice, keep going until you have cleared a big enough area to fish in, the smashed ice got netted out and/or pushed under the ice sheet.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, TLM, I'd be surprised if you hadn't ice fished!!

Kepis, yeah, that's how I imagined it, although I've not seen anyone do it. Thanks or the vid! goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE