Ice Claws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Funny I've never see these before, but might make some. Thanks for the info

This tickled me
Breast pockets are probably a reasonable place to carry them. Places that are either poor or useless include pockets that are harder to get to, packs, tackle boxes, gear buckets, glove compartments, or at home.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Funny this has been brought up, I have some I made few years ago and can't find them so I was going to make some more and started searching the web for other ideas and couldn't find much info, so thanks for the link Wayland.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland, are you thinking of the advanced?
It would be nice to meet you.
My best.
Chris.

It all depends what sort of year the business has but I'm thinking that the logistics of getting there are half the job, so once I'm there I might as well do both.

A lot depends on the dates though, One week will have to be half term and I need the dates so I can ring fence them and shepherd bookings away from them to other available time. I'm not going to be able to afford them both if I have to turn down work as well. Once I take a booking I will always honour it.

I hope they put the dates up soon as I'm already taking some bookings for next year.

These safety picks are a must have in Sweden for long distance skating and cross country skiing on frozen lakes. I have a couple of pairs somewhere, normally worn them draped around the neck, outside clothing. Just pull down sharpish on cords to release. Scandi members will probably be the ones with more info though.

forestwalker

They can be made (not even remotely rocket science, just shortish points in handles). Points worth noting include

1. Wear them close up by your neck, at least for skating. If not they may end up in your face if you take a fall (same as a neck knife would), and also harder to reach if you are close to the ice and deep in the water.

2. Some sort of lanyards is normally included.

3. Some of the long distance ice skateing fanatics mount them on the shoulder straps of their skating backpack; a backpack with waterproof liner and a complete change of clothing is de rigeur in those circles.

4. If you are skiing and suspect the ice; loosen ski bindings until you can easilly kick them off, and also the wrist straps on the poles. The poles make a decent pair of ice claws...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I finally got around to making some of these.

Ice_Claws-1.jpg

Ice_Claws-2.jpg

I had a bit of nice beech (I think) lying around in the workshop so I used a bit of silver steel rod for the points and 4mm bungee for the lanyard.

The black bands are cut from a cycle inner tube and stop them falling open before they are needed.

Ice_Claws-3.jpg

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think they look pretty useful in their intended environment ice covered lakes etc. I would be careful transporting them in the UK as an overly officious police officer would see them as concealed weapons.

forestwalker

Looks very nice. Where do they ride when you wear them? They are most usefull on "clean" ice, once you have a thick layer of snow they are less usefull; it is easier to get a grip on the snow withut them, and they will have a hard time penetrating
thick snow.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think they look pretty useful in their intended environment ice covered lakes etc. I would be careful transporting them in the UK as an overly officious police officer would see them as concealed weapons.

I can't see much need for them in the UK, it never freezes enough to take chances on the ice in my opinion here.

These will probable only be used out in Norway or the like.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Looks very nice. Where do they ride when you wear them? They are most usefull on "clean" ice, once you have a thick layer of snow they are less usefull; it is easier to get a grip on the snow withut them, and they will have a hard time penetrating
thick snow.

They hang about mid chest height. The bungee stretches far enough to use them without having to take them off the back of my neck but they should not throttle me if they get caught up on something.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Having been a member of a Search and Rescue team in the US for a time many years ago, I would take all the precautions one can when traveling on ice. Recovering bodies from a lake bottom is not a pleasurable experience for anyone. Good to see your pro-active in considering safety options Wayland, your "ice claws" turned out real well. Prior planning makes for a much more enjoyable expedition I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE