I want to make a bag can you give advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi,
I want to make a bag so I can carry some bits and bobs around with me when I do archery. I have some leather and some skins with the hair still on that I am thinking of using, I just don't know what type to make, Thinking about something in the size that will hold two rabbits, or bottle, food, hat and book.
Should I go for just a folded over bit of leather, punch holes along the sides and then use thonging?? Or three bits,face,back and rim and sew them together to make a wider bag.
Thanks for your time.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Which style do you prefer?
How much time and effort do you want to put into it?
What sort of shapes and sizes are the leather?

That kind of thing may answer your questions.
personally I'd go with the 3 pieces option but remember if you use fur on the foldover peice to get the fir to hang down (rather than stick up) at the front it needs to be upside down at the back. You may want to cut the back/ flap into 2 and reverse the back so they both lay properly

Cheers

Mark

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Have you thought of making a proter- type out of another material? Then you could test it and get rid of any glitches before using your leather.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Which style do you prefer?
How much time and effort do you want to put into it?
What sort of shapes and sizes are the leather?

That kind of thing may answer your questions.
personally I'd go with the 3 pieces option but remember if you use fur on the foldover peice to get the fir to hang down (rather than stick up) at the front it needs to be upside down at the back. You may want to cut the back/ flap into 2 and reverse the back so they both lay properly

Cheers

Mark

Hi,
Not sure on style just something that works. The leather is big, a nice dark brown colour, 3 to 4 mm I think. I also have a nice looking goatskin with hair on, and a reindeer skin which has the hair still on.
I've made 4 or 5 P.I. quivers out of deer skins that I love with the hair still on them and they look great IMO.

I had some rubbish bits of leather that I had a go at making something with;

19june2009049.jpg

19june2009050.jpg

19june2009051.jpg

12in wide,11in down with a 7in flap. Which I think may work,maybe????

skins009.jpg

This is the goatskin, which may work out as a bag.

18012009028.jpg

022.jpg

Two photos of some of my quivers.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE