I want to know.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Where I can get a sleeping bag which is basically huge.

I have a mummy bag which you would have to be ultra slim to get into and was told it was big enough for me, wrong.......... :lmao:

My Stats are;

Height 6ft 6inches

Around middle approx 60 inches.

I am a very large person and not all of me is fat.

So please, can anyone give me info on where to get a super large sleeping bag.

Neil

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Hiya

Have you tried somewhere like Cabelas?

I have a trail bag from them that swallows me whole. It is bulky, but recall they had a fair range of stuff. Postage could be steep - but was very fast service.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I am roughly the same size only 6''3 and not as broad and still growing :eek: . I hear the Nanok endurance 0 is quite a big bag since the -10 fits inside it.

Plus they are going super cheap on outdoorcode.

Hope this helps

Jay

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Bigman said:
Where I can get a sleeping bag which is basically huge.

I have a mummy bag which you would have to be ultra slim to get into and was told it was big enough for me, wrong.......... :lmao:

My Stats are;

Height 6ft 6inches

Around middle approx 60 inches.

I am a very large person and not all of me is fat.

So please, can anyone give me info on where to get a super large sleeping bag.

Neil

I don’t know of any bags that are that large, I use an ex army sleeping bag, but I’m not 6’6” I think your best bet is to make one for yourself, either out of a couple of duvets or buy two sleeping bags and modify them. You can, if you only plan to sleep out in the warmer months, buy two rectangular bags one with a zip on the left and one with a zip on the right.
But I think making one is your best option, buy a goose down quilt, say something like a 600 Fill Power, Make it into a sleeping bag. Add an outer layer (see the threads on hammock outer blanket making) and there you have it, a custom sleeping bag

I have a 60 inch chest and have the same problem.

Do not buy an army sleeping bag as they are all too small unless it is this one

a MK 2 Sleeping Bag Arctic.

They are huge and will fit you no problem. They were designed to be used with a liner but are sold with no liner as they appear not to have been released for resale. I have two of these bags and although old will sort you out no problems.
buy a fleece blanket and use it inside in the really cold weather as they are a bit light of filling underneath.

Hope this helps mate

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Tadpole said:
I don’t know of any bags that are that large, I use an ex army sleeping bag, but I’m not 6’6” I think your best bet is to make one for yourself, either out of a couple of duvets or buy two sleeping bags and modify them. You can, if you only plan to sleep out in the warmer months, buy two rectangular bags one with a zip on the left and one with a zip on the right.
But I think making one is your best option, buy a goose down quilt, say something like a 600 Fill Power, Make it into a sleeping bag. Add an outer layer (see the threads on hammock outer blanket making) and there you have it, a custom sleeping bag

I have thought about sewing two kingsize duvets together and adding an outer layer but surely there has to be a sleeping bag made for me, well we aren't all the same size and shape. :D

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
w00dsmoke said:
I have a 60 inch chest and have the same problem.

Do not buy an army sleeping bag as they are all too small unless it is this one

a MK 2 Sleeping Bag Arctic.

They are huge and will fit you no problem. They were designed to be used with a liner but are sold with no liner as they appear not to have been released for resale. I have two of these bags and although old will sort you out no problems.
buy a fleece blanket and use it inside in the really cold weather as they are a bit light of filling underneath.

Hope this helps mate

I have sent a pm.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
I have two of these, they are'nt the best sleeping bags in the world but it was all i could afford at the time. I later bought the second one and i can zip them both together to make a double if i want a bit more room..

I use the single on overnighters even in this weather and i'm toasty enough.

Snooza 300

Boosh.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I'm about the same height and slightly smaller is chest about 54" but the sleeping bag i have is huge on me, maybees abit to big. I bought it for my DOE and was the biggest I could find, 255cmx95cm its a Blacks Quad XL and was about £50 I think.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Boosh said:
I have two of these, they are'nt the best sleeping bags in the world but it was all i could afford at the time. I later bought the second one and i can zip them both together to make a double if i want a bit more room..

I use the single on overnighters even in this weather and i'm toasty enough.

Snooza 300

Boosh.

So I take it they have full length zips then and 2 for £40 pounds isn't bad, I'm a bit of a skinflint don't want to spend anymore than I have to.

Slowly I have been buying new stuff (when funds allow me to).

I did buy myself a Tinde 8 Tipi from a Group Buy on BCUK and I am not interested in camping light anymore, have base camp and wander around.

But a huge sleeping bag has eluded me so far.

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
waylander said:
I'm about the same height and slightly smaller is chest about 54" but the sleeping bag i have is huge on me, maybees abit to big. I bought it for my DOE and was the biggest I could find, 255cmx95cm its a Blacks Quad XL and was about £50 I think.

Just had a look on Blacks Website they don't seem to do that one anymore but thank you for your suggestion. :)

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
FGYT said:
Have you tried the USA they have a few big guys and most clothing seems to be in larger sizes i dont see they wouldnt do Dos Bags

ATB

Duncan

No I haven't because it seems that everything that is bought from the USA, we in Britain have to pay an Excise Duty on from Customs which I feel is completely wrong.

There seems to be no such thing as free trade.

I have in the past looked at several American websites and drooled over the merchandise but know I will be clobbered with import duty.

Thank you for your suggestion. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I knew alot of very tall guys in the army and I never met one that complained about the size of his issue bag, British Army bags come in 2/3 sizes.
I am 6'2" and mine drowns me.
The Bivi bags are the same!
I hope this helps.

Woody

Forager
Bigman,

Drop Chris a line at: Bask Expeditions he supplied a sleeping bag for a mate of mine who makes Tony look like a Munchkin! Top quality kit made for the proffesional outdoorsman.... Russian sizes! but Chris will be able to point you in the right direction.

I use a lot of his kit and have never come across better.

Regards .... Woody

Disclaimer = No personal interest in the company etc etc !!

Greg said:
I knew alot of very tall guys in the army and I never met one that complained about the size of his issue bag, British Army bags come in 2/3 sizes.
I am 6'2" and mine drowns me.
The Bivi bags are the same!
I hope this helps.
I have a 60 inch chest and although I can get in a large uk bag when it is zipped up i'm like a mummy!

Too tight. No room to move arms.

The mk 2 arctic bag is the only issue bag big enough for really big chested guys other than a limited purchase lightweight outer bag made to make the 90 pat cold weather temperate bag an arctic bag for marines befroe the issue arctic bag came into circulation.

After reading this thread again I thought to myself "I'm surely not the only guy on here with a big chest" so I thought it may be an idea to put up links or even suggestions to get big sized outdoor wear too? what do folk think?

For example Brennig of Wales is making me a waterproof smock to my size as I'm so broad in the chest and shoulders.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
w00dsmoke said:
After reading this thread again I thought to myself "I'm surely not the only guy on here with a big chest" so I thought it may be an idea to put up links or even suggestions to get big sized outdoor wear too? what do folk think?

For example Brennig of Wales is making me a waterproof smock to my size as I'm so broad in the chest and shoulders.

Good idea, maybe make it a sticky. There was a thread a while back about kit for tall folk. It had quite a few links to various companies that tailor make kit. I'll see if I can find it ............ here you go:-

HELP... I'm too tall!

The list included:-

Snowsled - tailor ventile clothing
Alpkit - large sleeping bags
SASS Kit - tailor make SAS Smocks and various other clothing.
Fjällraven - unfinished trousers so you can adjust to height (available at a few uk stores).
Extreme Outdoor Clothing - tailor various technical pile/pertex, fleece, tactel, ventile and cotton clothing and equipment. Also open to special requests.
Hilltrek - tailor ventile, fleece and Nikwax Analogy jackets and trousers.
Cioch Direct - tailor various waterproof/windproof fabric and fleece clothing.
Slioch - tailor gore-tex, ventile, pertex, gore windstopper and fleece clothing.

I'm sure there must be others out there. How about more kit. I seem to remember someone talking about tailor made rucksacks?

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
I agree an excellent idea, I have huge problems trying to find normal clothes let alone waterproof jackets, trousers etc.

With arms like a gibbon and long legs plus being larger than your average person I have found it impossible to find anything for the outdoors in green/brown.

I need jackets, shirts and jumpers around the 4xl to 5xl size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE