I want out !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
If you have cash and skills, you can try moving to greener pastures in other countries. In a relative low-cost country one can often start profitable buisinesses with little money. Maybe you can start a fishing or hunting resort? Or maybe you can use your knowledge of Europe to start exporting a local speciality back to your original homeland?

Or if you are good at hunting, maybe someone abroad will hire you as a hunting guide or similar. Most customers speak english, so maybe they want to hire you because of that?

The opportunities are endless. But if you HAVE to live in the UK, you will limit yourself quite drastically.

Torjus Gaaren

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Ever thought about saving some of the £35k and buying a wood? You can then "downsize" to a part time job and work for 3 days a week, leaving 4 days to play in the woods, and it'll still give you roughly the same income a ranger gets.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
"Ever thought about saving some of the £35k and buying a wood? You can then "downsize" to a part time job and work for 3 days a week, leaving 4 days to play in the woods, and it'll still give you roughly the same income a ranger gets."

Sounds like a great plan in theory but to save anywhere near enough pennies to buy my own wood is a complete no no. It`s rare that I get to see much of my wage these days what with a stupidly big mortgage, pensions & ISAs and then what with the marriage and rugrats to follow shortly.

I did look at a small wood with a view to purchase last spring but the location was in earshot of a motorway and a little bit skinny and just didn`t feel quite right.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I am the first to say follow your dream. There are many places you can start looking. Take at look at the countryside jobs service website it lists all countryside/conservation jobs listed in the UK and has extensive lists of voluntary jobs as well.

However I do have to agree with Fallow Way, this is a way of life not just a job, experiance is what counts. Education is important, but at one point I was the youngest main grade (full time) Ranger in Europe if not the world and I had no formal qualifications. (right place, right time) I was and am very lucky. My sister has a degree in Biology and is about to compleate a masters in conservation and has had no luck even in getting interviews, it is all down to experiance.

There are plenty of other routes to getting where you want to go. Teaching qualifications can help as can work with groups of kids (scouts/ guides etc)

good luck in what ever you do but if you don't try you'll never know. :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
rich59 said:
Shewie,

I'm going to take a completely different tack from the other folks giving advice. Stay in your job and find happiness there. Perhaps go 3/4 time, or seek a sabatical to refresh your spirit. Take a holiday, or look at say training in networks rather than doing it. Maybe go independant or start your own company. Take an evening class in art or something. Get religion. Get counselling. Take some personality profiles and find out more about what makes you tick. Move house, pep up the love life.

My point? It is a radical step to throw in all that training and experience when there are more challenges awaiting you where you are.

I have been (albeit briefly) a professional counsellor in the past and the training was pretty clear. Don't make radical life changes when under stress. Take it slowly and long term. Don't burn any boats till you have long and hard measured up what you are getting into. Learn more about yourself and others.
I read the above and thought, what good advise, and then I read the signature. My advise is.......go with your heart mate...............Jon

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
people are agreeing with me??? am i awake???? this all feels very alien to me lol

Overall the one bit of advice I how you take on board is go for it if you really want it, but also be aware things are going to be made tougher in other areas of your life, but if your willing to let these things go as i have then you’ll reap the rewards :)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
As an ex-Ranger (11 years) myself, I would also suggest you consider the unsocial hours aspect of the job too. You will be expected to work evenings and weekends leading events or giving talks, and livestock don't recognise bank holidays - something to think about if you want quality family time.

I've just switched jobs to become a Woodsman and now I have my weekends and bank holidays back - hurray!!

Your IT skills may well be useful to your local Wildlife Trust - a bit of time spent there would be beneficial to both parties; contacts and experience, maybe even a reference.

Basically, working outdoors can be very enjoyable and fulfilling but it's not as romantic as it may appear and much will be expected of you for little financial return.

If after reading all these posts you still feel you'd like to give it a go - then start looking in depth at the skills you need and go for it. To look back with regret at not having attempted something is hard. Just be honest with yourself and be prepared to reconsider if things don't work out.

Hope that helps.

Bob :)

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Do you have any qualification such as a degree in anything?

You maybe able to do post grad course,

Have you thought about doing a holiday with BCTV or National Trust. They do lots of conservation breaks you can gain experience this way and find out if you like.

BCTV also do short training courses like dry stone walling, coppicing etc.

http://www.btcv.org/index.html

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-volunteering.htm (this site also gives details of other ways to gain work experience in the field)

Your local college may do weekend or short course which allow to gain skills and qualifications without leaving your job.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id say your very lucky to have a proper career.

I am fighting hard to get one, get anything. Ive never had a proper job, always been on the dole, done casual work.

(Im autistic, which doesnt help)

Id count £15k a year as an unnatainable fortune....(Ive never been able to earn more than half that)

If I was you Id stay in your IT job, invest carefully, and retire early. Either that or freelance and work just a few days a week.

But good luck with getting a dream job. So many try, so few suceed! have you looked at the Open University?

Ill try and see if I can find a bit more from my training notes. Im currently trying to develop my own skill base.

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Hi Tengu

Id count £15k a year as an unnatainable fortune....(Ive never been able to earn more than half that)

Never say never,

Due to illness I left school with no qualifications, many years without work.

However all being well I will be doing I will start my MSc in September and had some really good jobs some have even paid okay money.

One of my jobs was outreach support which was finding jobs for autistic persons I did find work for many of them several have been in there jobs for over 3 years now and earn more than 15k so dont give just maybe change your approach try things from different angle you never know.

I dont have any contacts in your area otherwise I would offer some contacts sorry. But I will look out as I still have some links within the autistic employment network

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
rich59 said:
Shewie,

I'm going to take a completely different tack from the other folks giving advice. Stay in your job and find happiness there. Perhaps go 3/4 time, or seek a sabatical to refresh your spirit. Take a holiday, or look at say training in networks rather than doing it. Maybe go independant or start your own company. Take an evening class in art or something. Get religion. Get counselling. Take some personality profiles and find out more about what makes you tick. Move house, pep up the love life.

My point? It is a radical step to throw in all that training and experience when there are more challenges awaiting you where you are.

I have been (albeit briefly) a professional counsellor in the past and the training was pretty clear. Don't make radical life changes when under stress. Take it slowly and long term. Don't burn any boats till you have long and hard measured up what you are getting into. Learn more about yourself and others.

I guess I'd second that. At this point in my life I wish I'd been in the field I'm in - earlier. If I'd started this in my 20s - rather than my 30s - I could have retired two years ago on a full pension. As it is I'll be at it at least another five years.

PG

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Reading some of the other ideas made me think again.

Part time work in IT and voluntary work in the fresh air might be a "third way".

I don't know how old you are but if you leave it too long to change you will get stuck.

By the time I realised that I was thoroughly p/ssed off with the way the NHS was being "managed",I was too far down the pension path to get out.

Also think hard about the fact that a hobby might not translate into a way of earning your living.
As a lad I happily stood for hours up to my parts in freezing water,trout fishing.If I was being paid to do it I'm sure I wouldn't have been so keen. :(

BIG decision,your's alone to make.

Which ever way you go,good luck. :)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
"Difference between a woodsman and a forester".

They are not always distinct or different jobs; a bit like the way the words 'ranger' and 'warden' are interchanged sometimes (no offence to any LA or NT professionals reading this by the way!)

Generally - and I mean very generally - foresters are concerned with large scale timber production, usually involving plantation (softwood) species. Woodsman tend to be more associated with smaller scale woodland management operations (including such activities as coppicing and charcoal production), working with hardwood species.

That, however, is a very general synopsis and even in my own experience is not entirely correct. I'm currently working in a couple of SSSI's undertaking habitat restoration by removing Scots Pine and converting it into timber and pulp lengths - which doesn't really fit into either 'job description'!!

As with so many outdoor positions each job will have its' own particular duties and characteristics. You cannot always automatically assume what is involved from the post title - always look at the job description (if there is one!) carefully.
In fact, if you are still considering a career change, then check out the CJS website, select a few jobs you like the sound of, and then send off for details. This will give you at least an idea of the knowledge and skills required - it's then down to you to acquire them.

Hope that helps.

Bob :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE