I want one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Ah yes....but if you could swing in the trees in a ultra hammock?? lol

Who honestly calls a fabric Ultra. Marketing people thats who :p

Saying that pretty sure I've read comments on hammockforums of people with spinnUL or cuben fibre hammocks. AFAIU the problem with the material (other than the cost) is that you can't really sow it.

Heres a cuben fibre hammock tarp, weighs in at 136g. The tent is 560g. Tarp plus single layer hammock is going to be very close, the one unsponsored made in pertex (with stuffsack) was 387g which is a total of 523g. But I digress... ;)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Colin Ibbotson has managed to get hold of one of these for a test now, it sounds like TN have made a few errors in an attempt to shave a few more grams. I'd still like one eventually but it's far too early to be spending yet.

Review ..
http://www.andyhowell.info/trek-blog/

Yip Rich ! maybe in a couple of years when they get to grips with using cuben fibre, but for now the MLD kit is far better option and cheaper and lighter too

Jason

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nice tent , but it is never worth six hundred and fifty quid ... Thats crazy stuff...

You're kidding aren't you? Cuben fibre fly is a more exotic material developed for the competitive sailing market. It requires a different set of production techniques to standard tent materials which is generally outside of TN's standard skill set so probably had set-up costs to get charged into it. Also limited market as someone said earlier. It is a premium product too. The design for it is also a bit different. IIRC cuben fibre does not stretch as its not actually a fabric but a thin film. That means the design and cut is likely to be different. Further design costs to put back into the price of a limited market product. If you think this is expensive then have you looked at hilleberg tents? Hilleberg Nallo GT for £645? They are different tents but TBH it is probably easier to make the larger nallo than the TN Ultra. The Nallo is probably one of Hilleberg's biggest sellers too yet it is about the same price as the TN Ultra. The TN Ultra probably sell a tenth of the numbers of the Nallo too.

It is a good tent for a purpose. That purpose is the one that the earlier poster uses his for and that is mountain marathons and ultras. It is not really a normal backpacking tent. BTW I wonder if TN are pushing their fastpack option with the Ultra? The inner tent is sil-nylon in yellow and is not transparent but the fly is translucent so as a fly only with a footprint in the fastpack setup it would be pretty clear to see you inside it. IMHO if you want truly light then a simple cunem fibre cat cut tarp is better. This is only needed as the rules in most MMs state you need a two skin tent. If you could use a tarp in a MM you'd probably see competitiors using tiny cuben tarps instead. Like the MLD one at about 136g!!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
KIT *****!!

Lmao swmbo said your not having one Rich and thats my swmbo!!!

she said when she eventually gets the chance she is grassing you up mate!!

lol you dont really need one do you? do you do?

the are some you do's in there dont misread it mate or you may lose the crown jewels!!! ouch

Andy

Gailainne

Life Member
Hmm I think my biggest concern sleeping in a cuben fibre tent would be noise, from reading on hammockforums, it aint the quietest mat'l, and any wind or rain would probably make you wish you had brought along your industrial strength ear defenders

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I've been using the Mountain Laurel Designs cuben fibre solo tarp for my hiking trips Stephen and there is no difference to a normal tarp, if it rains its going to make some noise, but having slept under it about 12 times now, i honestly cant say i've ever noticed it being any noisier. It really is the dogs boll*cks when it comes to weight with it, it really is a joy to hike when your using quality ultralight gear like the cuben fibre, i really am a huge fan of it.....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I chased Ron for an update today Col, the bivvy is done :) but my Trailstar won't be ready to ship until next Friday:(

Apparently my new Blackbird was delivered today too, no sign of it here and no card either :banghead: :censored:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I chased Ron for an update today Col, the bivvy is done :) but my Trailstar won't be ready to ship until next Friday:(

Apparently my new Blackbird was delivered today too, no sign of it here and no card either :banghead: :censored:

Whats the Blackbird Rich ?

Jason

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
It will be here soon enough mate, i just hope it goes through customs without delay or you will be waiting a further 2 weeks, my first order from Ron came through no problem, without any charges, but i was trying to get my 2nd order for the West highland way a bit quicker and asked if he could send it quicker, he sent it priority air mail, guess what! it came into the country within 2 days, but sat in customs for about 10 days, then i had to pay parcelforce a handling fee before they would deliver it. I would have got it quicker if it had been sent the normal way.:confused:

You mention delivery of a blackbird, you have peeked my interest Richy, Not heard of that, what is it and where can i buy it :lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE