I should have been a dentist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's quite a lot cheaper than going private, We have NHS dentists for the three of us, Little one (13) is free treatment, check ups every six months for myself and SWMBO are £17 (ish) each.

Good old NHS, needs to be sorted though, it is straining under the extra pressures people expect from it, after all the original presis is a long way down the road now, and so much of it wasn't even thought of when it started.
I obviously don't have NHS over here. My dental insurance comes from being retired military (it costs me about $20 per month) and the cost share varies with whatever dental procedure; my six month exams and cleaning as well as yearly x-rays are free. Fillings have a 15% cost share, crowns are 50% and implants simply aren't covered. Of course the final bill depends on what the dentist charges before the percentages are applied.

My daughter on the other hand is unemployed and has all of her dental "needs" covered by Medicare. Notice I said "needs." Like the insurance companies, they decide what is needed and what is simply "wanted." Not always what we would expect although they cover quite a bit more for her son than they would for an adult.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I got all my teeth out a few years ago. Was quoted £450 for a full set of dentures. The NHS only covers up to £75. You have to find the rest yourself. Anyway, my pension doesn't stretch that far so I didn't bother.
I was on holiday in Bulgaria two years ago and visited a dentist while I was there. Got a full set, beautifully made for £150.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I got all my teeth out a few years ago. Was quoted £450 for a full set of dentures. The NHS only covers up to £75. You have to find the rest yourself. Anyway, my pension doesn't stretch that far so I didn't bother.
I was on holiday in Bulgaria two years ago and visited a dentist while I was there. Got a full set, beautifully made for £150.

Rip of Britain all over again.:soapbox:
Colin.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
i have a major fear of the dentist after i had a tooth pulled out AFTER the anethetic wore off. i was left in the waiting room for ages after being given the jab to numb the pain then i was told i'll feel "a little pain". it felt like he was pulling my eye out of its socket through a hole in my tooth. i gritted it out and he got it out but i was in severe shock for about eight hours after. now i stick to diy dentistry....i.e a bottle or two of whiskey (irish of course) and a pair of plyers. i had to get a mate to help last time as i was too hammered to pull the right tooth, no pain and the alcohol acts as antiseptic/disinfectant

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Just reading this thread reminded me of something that might be useful to folks.

A few years back, my wife broke a crown when we were away camping. Miles from anywhere, Saturday night on a bank holiday weekend. Drove to the nearest town the following morning only to be directed to another town a few miles further on. Found a phone number for the dentist but still had to wait until Tuesday then pay an absolute fortune to get it fixed.

I now keep a pack of temp tooth filler in my big first aid kit as well as another one in the car kit. Give your teeth/mouth a quick clean, cut of a little bit of the filler and roll it in a ball before pressing it into the gap. Sets really quickly and kills the pain pretty rapid too. After an hour or so you can eat/drink/be merry.

This is the type I use...http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017JPRV0/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

This type is already mixed and ready to be used. Avoid the types which have a sachet of powder and some solution as they're a pain to use and to get the consistency right, especially if you're in pain at the time.

They will last for a few days if needs be and are great for short term relief till you can get to a dentist.

No connection, no affiliations, blah blah...

belter idea mate , i know what its like to be away for a few days with THAT pain to cope with .

cheers andrew.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
I'll give that a shot thanks, must be somewhere to get dental treatment.

Someone I was talking to the other day said they were refused treatment as their teeth were too bad. They sure ain't gonna get any better by themselves! :yikes:

Si

have you got a dental teaching hospital near you ? the one we have in the toon centre does the treatment for free but they let the dental students practice one you for your free treatment lol

cheers andrew.

iHydro

Apr 11, 2012
Digby, Lincolnshire
Thank the stars my dental is free, one of the perks of my job! Only have to fork out for the wife, but now that we have one in the stove again she gets free dental for a little bit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE