I need your help - Making a definitive cutting tool safety article.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
Using an AXE

Always wear the appropriate clothing .... Stout boots with non slip soles, no loose clothing like scarfs ties straps etc, don't have any distractions music, converasations and the like.
Use a chopping block
rope off the chopping area and only one person at a time in that area when cutting in progress.
make sure someone is within shouting range.

and for Scouts ... "IT'S NOT A TOY!"
Cheers Roy

rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise! (or something like that)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Lots of good ideas, Ive tried to incorporate most of them somehow.

Is it possible to maybe change some of them from don't don't don't, to do do do as kids often tune out to a list of stuff they shouldn't do, yet if told constructive points it may help. Perhaps a blend of the two may be best.

Very good point and I've changed some of them. Any suggestions for the others?

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You'll find a detailed do-and-don't in any chainsaw manual; I think that Stihl or Jonsered have stuff online. While much of it is not applicable to whittling with a SAK, it does emphasise the various ways a tree can fight back.

"Cut towards your chum, not towards your thumb" ?

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In terms of keeping it short, OtT pretty much says what I try to emphasise: before you apply the cutting force, visualise where every element can end up: the restrained part, the severed part, the cutting edge, the anvil/cutting block and you (what if you slip, trip or fall ?).

Tactful clarification of the "blunt = dangerous", by the way.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
This maybe fits into the "correct tool for the job" but to some people a knife is a knife is a knife. "If that guys with his fancy pancy knife (which is a RM, F1, BR etc) can cut like that so can I with mine (a blunt carbon Mora found in the garage)" and accidents happen.
The same goes with axes.
My suggestion to the list is "Always use quality tools, not cheap crap (or other similar word). A cheap tool might look good but can break on you and cause serious injuries" When buying a tool, always ask someone who knows, and do not buy what Rambo uses. Even if you use an axe or knife two times a year it is still well spent money, someday you might need to use is "for real" and then you are used to handle the tool and it will not disappoint you.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sharpness is on the list already and the guidelines have to suit all levels from beginners with cheap equipment up to people who think they know better. If anything these are our primary audience.

As you say fitness for purpose is also addressed with the "Correct tool for the job" too and any damage should be noted in. "Inspect the tool for damage or loose parts. Do not use a damaged or loose tool without repairing it properly first"

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
OK, I will try a new one then :)
KISS, Keep it simple (stupid). Overdoing things can cause accidents.
Do not try to do anything in a "cool" way. The other guy might have done that "cool" thing hundreds of times and he might have better tools than you.

Another thing that boy/girl scouts in Sweden has been taught is "Do not play while carrying a knife". That is why most young scouts have their knife attached with a carabiner to their belt. So my suggestion follows like this.
"Do not play around while carrying a edge tool. Make it a habit to place the tool in a safe and visible place before playing, doing so shows other people that you are not carrying and where to find the tool if needed".

It might be included in something else too, but like you said, the rules are both for kids borrowing tools and people who has their own tools.

One thing that can cause lots of grief, more mental but anyway.
"If you borrow a knife from someone, treat it as if it was your own precious favourite and return it directly to that person, do not leave it somewhere for the person to find it later."
Or maybe
"If you borrow a knife from someone, treat in with extreme care and return it directly to that person"
To many people a knife is a lot more than a tool, it is almost as a part of that person.
Many friendships have been destroyed because of people abusing a borrowed knife.
But then, who brings his one of a kind Strider extra special to a school field day? I would bring my F1, but I would not lend it to anyone.

Our new accountant girl at work doesnt understand things, she just left my WM1 lying in a plastic bag. Stupid nobrainer citygirl. But she tried to solve things with scotch tape and scissors that I use duct tape and a F1 to solve :) At least she learnt the hard way not to use her teeth to cut duct tape :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks good Wayland - good job!

Might I suggest this becomes a stick in the edged tools thread (or at least the pertinent post)

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are getting distracted whilst using a cutting tool, set the tool down until the distraction passes. This may be a horrible little screaming child that could do with a good birching (!) or a small fly or biting insect that just won't leave be. Trying to swat a fly with a razor sharp knife can leave you with problems trying to wear your glasses!!!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i think that one of the reasons you can't easily find a definitive safety page is that it's such a huge subject! a discussion on safety is almost inseparable from how to use the tool in question, so it gets bigger and bigger. it's practically impossible to avoid it.

i have to say, i particularly like this arrangement by ogri :You_Rock_ it covers all the bases simply without being over specific. all the rules apply to all the tools.

I've been trying to come up with something short and witty that might be better remembered than a list of rules. Best I can do for now is like this;-

Cutting Tool Safety

Know where everything is going to end up.
Know where the piece you’re working on, as well as the piece you’re trying to cut off, will end up!

Then think about the blade.
Where will the blade will come to rest – within or outside of your work-piece.
On the chopping/cutting block,
In the dirt,
Or in your thigh/arm/hand etc.

If it’s in the work, you should be OK
But if it exits the work-piece, where will the blade stop?
On the chopping block,
In the dirt,

If its in the chopping block, you should be OK.
But if you miss the block, where will the blade stop?
In the dirt,

If its in the dirt, you should be OK.
But if its in your thigh, your arm or your hand,
YOU’LL END UP IN CASUALTY

ATB

Ogri the trog

when i'm teaching this, (scouts &c) i always say that the cut or the accident starts with a thought, either a bad thought, or the lack of a good one. above all, plan your move the bad thought is usually something like "i'll be alright just this once". you plan the move and you realise it's a stupid move. you think the bad thought, you carry on with the stupid move and you cut yourself.

if you don't know what plan your move means, read ogri's instructions above.

it's often worth pointing out to kids/novices that although a razor sharp tool greatly reduces the risk of an accident, it greatly increases the potential consequences of an accident. if the knife/tool starts cutting meat, it won't stop till it hits bone, a big bone. if you cut your femoral artery, we won't bother calling the ambulance, we'll ship you straight to the morgue in a bin liner.

superb thread btw.

cheers, and.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Take care when sheathing your knife.

A friend of mine had to have several stitches in his thigh after his razor sharp knife cut straight through the leather while sheathing.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Wayland,

As you're the author and editor I thought I'd ask if you'd mind if I copy the list of safety rules to a Word document.
My intention is to use the list to instruct members of the Scout Movement. For this purpose the only changes I'd make are to the font (from Ariel to Times New Roman (Woodcut for the title and sub-titles)) and to make accreditation. The intended accreditation would include your avatar at the top of the first page, your screen name in the title and the document would end with a link to your website.
Please let me know if it's ok to use your list and of any changes you wish me to make (or if you'd like to see the document) prior to use.

Decorum.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tie back long hair, remember that long clothing such as kilts, cloaks, aprons ect obstruct view of feet/ work when using axe. Wearing glasses can be a good idea as well. My 7 year old knows more about knife safety than I do so I'll shut up now.

Simply; use your loaf before you use a tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE