i need something cool to spend some money on

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
blackberry? i am one of the proud minority that do not own any kind of palmtop or mobile phone - they are the devils work!!
although on the hammock side, i have just got in on the11th MK GB - that's got to be a good use of twenty quid!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
To be truthful mate, with that many posts since June this year, there's not going to be a great deal that your not aware of!:) With the possible exception of a sheepskin belly button warmer;)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I saw a guy blacksmithing a couple weeks back and found it fascinating. There's a bunch of videos on youtube too of guys turning old files into ornaments and some very impressive knives.
I'm not sure exactly what kit you'd buy... I'm tempted to have a go making my own forge... possibly something along those lines though?

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I'd say either a Berghaus Aquafoil Hat (£17) or a Lowe Alpine Mountain cap (£30). Either way, the best bit of kit money can buy.

Chris

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
hmmmmmmmmmm
must formulate a plan to convince the boss.........

If the missus has any inclination to come out camping then she will be hassling you to go out camping when she first tries the tipi and stove combi out.

My missus, who HATES the cold suggested we went out back in Feb when it dropped to -5 at night and she came out the other weekend too down on Dartmoor when it dropped to 1.5. She loves the tipi. Has been one of my best investments to encouraging her into coming out all year round.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
If the missus has any inclination to come out camping then she will be hassling you to go out camping when she first tries the tipi and stove combi out.

My missus, who HATES the cold suggested we went out back in Feb when it dropped to -5 at night and she came out the other weekend too down on Dartmoor when it dropped to 1.5. She loves the tipi. Has been one of my best investments to encouraging her into coming out all year round.

i've currently got a Montpellier 12 tent - really good for the whole tribe, with seperate rooms and all that, but i would love a tundra 8 and stove
she's inclined to camp, but not to the tune of £500-600!!!
i think i shall get money off everyone for crimbo and use it to lessen the blow!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.

And Mad Bear do them (just google it)

Iain,

If you are bringing the tribe to Middlewood then say no more. I'll have mine toasty warm with the stove glowing. Once the missus has a taste of the good life then she'll be mithering you for one ;)

if there's any quibble then buy the lavvu first and get the stove with any chrimbo money (obviously you will have to buy the stove now though ;))

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
all good suggestions mate - a course was a thought i had, and may well be something i do. but as we all must have experienced, i have done all the sensible spending and just have the need for a little retail therapy!
most of what i have left has already been put in a savings account, and this is just to make me feel better!!

Fair one. How about upgrading something you already have then? Like buying a rolls royce of headlamps or torch or top of the range gortex bivvy bag etc?

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Fair one. How about upgrading something you already have then? Like buying a rolls royce of headlamps or torch or top of the range gortex bivvy bag etc?

that's more what i'm thinking! - Dougster is making me a new knife, and i really like the old Tundra 8, but the look on the boss's face when i suggested it suggests that may take a little more work!
i do need a decent coat though...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
£100 is about the minimum spend for decent binoculars.

Could also be used to kickstart a new interest, eg:

Shotg*n certificate application fee plus 2nd hand g*n cabinet (leaves no money for actual shotg*n, but you can buy used for £50 up)

Canoeing course - £100 should get you up to 2 star, maybe all or part way to 3 star.

If you're handy with wood, £175 will get you an unfinished hull from Apache canoes (special offer on Song of the Paddle)

Deer stalking course level 1 - £210
http://www.eskdalewildlife.com/training.html

A lot of good waterproof jackets around £100

A strike-a-light (for use with flint and charcloth) is a fine thing to have - £10 to £15. Available from Woodlore, but I have one by Mike Ameling which is excellent.

Victorinox Farmer off American ebay. £15

A bow (get advice first) £30 to £400
http://www.quicks.com/pdf/pdf12to27.pdf

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Having money and not knowing what to spend it on is a sure sign of too much money.

Id save it until something or other came up

(but then I never have enough money to worry about)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE