i need something cool to spend some money on

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
had a little windfall a couple of weeks ago, and after clearing debts and fixing the car and decorating the kitchen and buying all the kids crimbo pressies and all the other 'sensible stuff', i now find myself with money to spend and no clear plan for spending it. that said, i consider the buying of more kit a good place to start ;)
might be a strange question, but has anyone got any suggestions for a cool bit of kit - could be £100, could be £1, but something outside the basics, as i have all that already!
it will be something i need that i don't know i need yet - all suggestions welcome, as if nothing else, it might build into a usable list
(actually, my first idea has already been done, as i have a well-known forum member making me something sharp as we speak!)
thanks all

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nah, it's the fridge I bought the missus when we was young and frisky. I used to come home at 5.00 O'Clock on the dot. At ten to five she'd open the door of the fridge and sit in it. She knew that when I came home after a hard day's work I liked to slip into something cool!

Eric

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Why do you want to spend money on kit for the sake of it? If you have all the basics as you say why do you want more kit?
How about a few days on Dartmoor or a week (if you have holiday time) hiking somewhere in the lakes and practising bushcraft instead of buying kit you don't really need. Know more carry less an all that. Or spend some going on a course to learn how to do with less kit. Or just save it for when you really need something or need to replace something instead of just spending it because you've got it. :)

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Why do you want to spend money on kit for the sake of it? If you have all the basics as you say why do you want more kit?
How about a few days on Dartmoor or a week (if you have holiday time) hiking somewhere in the lakes and practising bushcraft instead of buying kit you don't really need. Know more carry less an all that. Or spend some going on a course to learn how to do with less kit. Or just save it for when you really need something or need to replace something instead of just spending it because you've got it. :)

all good suggestions mate - a course was a thought i had, and may well be something i do. but as we all must have experienced, i have done all the sensible spending and just have the need for a little retail therapy!
most of what i have left has already been put in a savings account, and this is just to make me feel better!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Spread the good!
Have you concidered giving a bit to a deserving cause/charity?

And (ahem) you could always get yourself some super cool Welsh Bushcrafter leather pouches.....:)

andy_bell

Dec 13, 2006
west yorkshire
If its wasting your money that you are after then try iwantoneofthose.com. If you cant find something utterly pointless and massivly over priced on there then you won't find it anywhere. That should cure your retail therapy bug for a while.
of course you could always make yourself feel more fulfilled by getting out there and doing something exciting this weekend, learning a new skill, teaching the kids something or just going for a nice stroll in the countryside and noticing that the seasons have changed, then you could stick the cash in the rainy day fund.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Here's an idea, why not buy some leather making tools and some leather and try making something? Or perhaps a knife kit and have a go at fitting scales to a knife, if not, an entire knife? If you go the leather way as well, you could make a sheath. That way, you've spent your money, got something to show for it and have the satisfaction that you've created something.

The idea of going on a course is good if you have the time and the inclination and can find a course with spaces on.

Either that or put it away until you have more money to add to the amount and get yourself something REALLY nice!:)

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Jed - leather and gear is a very good idea - i've been putting it off for a while, and the creative urge will keep me busy! like i said in the first post - i don't want to spend loads, i don't want to waste my money, i just wondered if there was a useful little item that i may need that i was unaware of!
the independant fiscal advice has been useful - but in answer to another point, i like to spend money - it's what it's for:) - i take the kids out every weekend, and spend every available penny on them - this is just about ME!!!!!!!!!!!
i thought this may lead to a thread where people post stuff that everyone else might not know about, but it seems to have morphed into an abbey national ad ;)
anyway.......off to le prevo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE