I made these for my wee boy

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I eventually got round to doing these for him,i had done the blades ages ago and got some oak diamond wood and red liners and some mosiac pins , i did,nt have enough diamond wood to put on the steel to match the handle so if anybody has a scrap piece please ;) .
The blade started as this (bottom one)
Picture2128.jpg

Picture2405.jpg

Picture2402.jpg

Picture2403.jpg

I made a lot of mistakes which is good i think hopefully i will improve on the next ones the blade is 3mm o1 tool steel btw,i really dont like the handle shaping the dust gets everywhere not good :yikes:the sheath well it could have been better too,but the wee chappie is literally a happy camper .
Picture2399.jpg

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice work that. Gonna be the stuff of memories for many years to come.

Speaking of having something made by your Father. My Dad died when I was 22, he was 45, 3 years younger than I am now. I was digging through a box of stuff the other week and found his old sheath knife. Looked a bit sorry and neglected. I'd always kept it for sentimental reason, I even remember cutting my thumb open on it when I was about 7. So since my bushcraft interest had been rekindled I had a closer look at it. Turned out it's made by Solingen and the model is a Monarch. Still has the original antler handle too. Anyway I spent a couple of weekends cleaning and polishing and got it looking the biz once again. I'm going to make a new sheath for it but try and incorporate the original leather from the knackered sheath somehow into it.

So if I feel that way about a knife my Dad bought/traded from someone at work when he was in his early 20's what's a son going to feel about something his Dad put his heart and soul into crafting? Well done Gill. Great peice of workmanship that.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
I have a pair of Dr. scholl toenail clippers that were my dad's....hmmm...now which would I rather....

Nice one.

Sack

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thats just great He'll love it and use, now you've got to teach him to look after it. My eldest boy is five now and my youngest is seven months i need ot make them knives and put them by .... of to add them to the list

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
You're too modest mate :) I've seen and held the knife and it's a cracker, you've done a great job with the sheath too. I'm sure the wee yin loves it and will treasure it for a long, long time.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for the comments folks,the mistakes i made were not serious though things like maybe going the long way round to doing things when shaping the blade i dinked it on my wee aldi linisher/grinder so that took some time to rub out.One thing i did find when trying to take the excess wood of the handle whilst trying to keep the dust down and not use any power tools, as i understand diamond wood is particuarly bad if inhaled was to use cabinet scrapers which worked great , i used these for making bows before .Has anybody used these for this before and what type of masks do you use ? i will need to get a proper mask before i make another as i felt the effects of the dust not good.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for the comments folks, looking forward to my next one hopefully it will be better .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE