I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I am too lazy to carefully sand off all the sharp edges where Ive just drilled the holes, so Im just hammering the burs flat against a second hammer held in the vice....

b-dscf2617.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Er.....

My little one nicked it.

But I wanted first go.....

Too late.

b-dscf2620.jpg

The wife is supervising.

Im frightened.

b-dscf2622.jpg

Er.....

There is a possible flaw in this design.

While the heat shield now inflicts the gases heat right up the sides of the pot, as well as just on the bottom, It now sort of squirts out of the slot when you try to put the cup in, which sort of roasts your knuckles.

Not quite what I had in mind.

More Balls.

b-dscf2626.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I think the pot would boil a lot quicker if it had a lid...

However, its quite nice.

b-dscf2628.jpg

IO ! ! !

MINE ! !

b-dscf2633.jpg

You cook it, I drink it....

Pigging kids.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey No Idea, you should try making a woodgas stove! That's next on my list and doesn't look too hard. You're a dab hand at this tinkering business so I can't see you having many troubles. No doubt you'd have to make 3 tho once your lads see how awesome they are!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hmm....

Missed that.

Whats a woodgas stove?

Have you a link?

My next experiment was to have a go at some coke can meths burners for our stoves.

Thats once we have made some sense out of our potato tin experiment of course!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thanks Robbi..

Is the top of the lynx tin put upside down into the bottom and then rivetted in?

Do the 1.5mm holes go all the way through, or only through the bottom half?

Is this better than the coke tin burners?

IYHO lol.

Sorry to be a pain.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
no probs,

yep, top of lynx can push fitted upside down into the bottom. ( you don't really need the rivets as its a very good friction fit )

the 1.5mm holes only go through the bottom half ( into the small void created by the "necking" of the upsidedown top half )

IMHO i think they are better than the coke can stoves LOL !

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Er.....

I just thought I had that cracked, when I checked your links Highbinder.

Now I have No Idea.

Going to look again when Im not so tired and sober.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
LOL that's okay. Thought you might find it of interest seeing as you like to make your own bits. Been meaning to hunt out a couple of appropriate pots so I can try meself. Handed in my notice so I'm off from next week so I think I might give it a go

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
adjustable holes?

How about a jubilee clip over oversized holes and tapped up or down to open/ cover them for adjustment?

Not sure I have the theory straight in my head yet though...

You put wood in it then meths, then burn it to get gas, which you then burn at a higher secondary set of jets?

Er.....

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Highbinder....

Sent some time looking at all the links and all the builds of these Woodgas stoves...

Im probably missing something obvious.

The Woodgas stove burns the fuel, then recycles some of the unburned gases and reburns them?

Assuming Ive got that right...

I imagine it wouldnt smoke quite as much when its warmed up, but then hobos stop smoking when they are hot too...

I imagine it would increase the amount of heat obtained from the load of fuel...which is usually in abundant supply, but does it with a weight gain, the loss of the burner opening you can feed more twigs through, no ground scorch protection, no side of pot heating to reduce cooking times, need for a cook pot that is bigger than combustion chamber, so bigger kit?

Er....With respect, may I ask a serious question....why do I want to build one?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hi Highbinder....

Sent some time looking at all the links and all the builds of these Woodgas stoves...

Im probably missing something obvious.

The Woodgas stove burns the fuel, then recycles some of the unburned gases and reburns them?

Assuming Ive got that right...

I imagine it wouldnt smoke quite as much when its warmed up, but then hobos stop smoking when they are hot too...

I imagine it would increase the amount of heat obtained from the load of fuel...which is usually in abundant supply, but does it with a weight gain, the loss of the burner opening you can feed more twigs through, no ground scorch protection, no side of pot heating to reduce cooking times, need for a cook pot that is bigger than combustion chamber, so bigger kit?

Er....With respect, may I ask a serious question....why do I want to build one?

Good question! Well, umm, for me mainly for fun! But I do like the idea of a more efficient wood burning stove :)

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
From my understanding the benifits are greater fuel efficency(by quite a margin) and more importantly (for the original purpose) reduced carbon monoxide output.

IIRC they were designed to replace the open fires that people had inside huts to cook on in the third world countrys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE