I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Hi Highbinder....

Sent some time looking at all the links and all the builds of these Woodgas stoves...

Im probably missing something obvious.

The Woodgas stove burns the fuel, then recycles some of the unburned gases and reburns them?

Assuming Ive got that right...

I imagine it wouldnt smoke quite as much when its warmed up, but then hobos stop smoking when they are hot too...

I imagine it would increase the amount of heat obtained from the load of fuel...which is usually in abundant supply, but does it with a weight gain, the loss of the burner opening you can feed more twigs through, no ground scorch protection, no side of pot heating to reduce cooking times, need for a cook pot that is bigger than combustion chamber, so bigger kit?

Er....With respect, may I ask a serious question....why do I want to build one?

I'll send one down for you; I have a few made up. I was hoping the cups would fit in them but they (the stove inners) were just too small & I didn't have easy access to cans for suitably sized stoves. That's how I came to have some spare cups.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Robbi

Thanks.

Just had a look and found all my lynx stuff that has migrated into my teenagers bedroom is all square shaped instead of funnel shaped tops.

Need to go find some more bottles.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
lol Thanks Highbinder.

Aaha! The penny drops! Thank you Grebby!

Hadnt thought about CO2.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thank you Bilmo-P5

You will have to tell me how much I owe you.

Did you see one of your cups and your little tin in action in post #1243?

Another went into use while Pepperana and his mate were here.

Havent posted those pics yet.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Pepperana arrived on his tour with his mate, who was grabbed of a game of Xbox and promptly disapeared.

Pepperana had a brand new hand built Hobo Stove in his pack.

There was no way we could let him go without testing it!

He put it together on the work top in the kitchen.

Er....

It didnt have a grate.

I suppose this wouldnt be much of a problem if you arnt going to try using it on a flat table....

However, I had a fray bentos tin lid in my tins for Hobos collection, oh and a pair of scissors...

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
Wood gas is wonderfull stuff. My understanding is that the wood is burnt releasing the gas, by restricting the oxygen in the burner the gas is not ignited until it gets more oxygen at the top of the tank or outlet.

Woodgas can also be used to run cars, boats, tractors, generators the list goes on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas. For wiki this is a great article that explains the uses and the scienece behind it.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
He took the lid and measured it against his stove body.

b-dscf2654.jpg

He was somewhat surprised you can cut tins with household scissors, but cut slots around the edge and folded it over, to raise the centre and get its diameter down enough it would fit in the stove.

b-dscf2655.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
He stood his grate on top of my baby Hobos windshield and drilled his holes with my dremmel.

b-dscf2657.jpg

Seems like he doesnt usually do things like that in his kitchen.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Its alight!

b-dscf2659.jpg

A titanium pot with lid on top of his stainless drainer type body, with a slot cut for refueling and for the handles of his titanium pot to go through when storing.

Oh and his brand new custom built grate lol

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
It didnt seem to be pulling enough air through the grate, so we lifted it up on blocks to allow it to breathe through the bottom holes in his body.

b-dscf2663.jpg

And I blinded him with my flash.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
His mate managed to escape my kids and joined us...

Oh, and borrowed my baby Hobo.

He is stuffing it with makeup remover pads dipped in acetone and some bits of cardboard and plywood I had on the table

b-dscf2672.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Pepperanas still flaming and his mates glowing

b-dscf2678.jpg

Mine boiled first, so Pepperana tried my heat shield, but felt it made no real difference.

b-dscf2681.jpg

The baby Hobo was taking its time too, although it did start later and didnt have a lid.

Thats the nose of Stupid Idea, my boat project stood against the wall behind Pepperana.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Pepperana boiled too.

Tralaa!

b-dscf2683.jpg

We all had hot chocolate and waited for baby to catch up.

That was really good fun.

Didnt tarry long though, as it was drizzling and pigging cold.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
lol good old mc donalds carboard for fuel again.

We were also using the wooden tea stirrers out of the resturants for fuel too

I think thats what he is poking it with.

b-dscf2684.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Missing them.

Was nice having an adult conversation.

Hope they are ok and having a good time.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Wood gas is wonderfull stuff. My understanding is that the wood is burnt releasing the gas, by restricting the oxygen in the burner the gas is not ignited until it gets more oxygen at the top of the tank or outlet.

Woodgas can also be used to run cars, boats, tractors, generators the list goes on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas. For wiki this is a great article that explains the uses and the scienece behind it.

AHA ! another penny drops!

I remember seeing the documentry about the lunatics who were running cars on what looked like some sort of still, and saying it was running on wood.

I understand how now.

Thank you ScotsSurvival.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
woodgas stoves are great fun, and in some ways really very practical too. the bit that i like the best about mine is that i can fill it up, light it, put the water on to boil, and then forget all about it, anything up to 27 and a half minutes later (i've obviously had a little too much spare time on my hands recently) and i've still got a pot of boiling water. no feeding it with twigs, no blowing embers back to life, no poking at it with a stick, nothing, it just does it's thing, keeps on burning and burning. the amount of heat it gives off is pretty amazing, as is the amount of fuel that i don't have to use. the smokeless bit's nice too, it means i can get away with using it in the house without getting into any trouble at all.

on the downside (there's always got to be a downside) it can be a little bit tricky to light, occasionally needing a couple of attempts to get it going, TBH though this doesn't really cause a problem though because i quite like lighting fires.

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE