I lak leetl spoons...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've been wanting to carve one of those spoons like you find in Chinese restaurants but haven't got around to it yet. In the meantime, this has become my favorite spoon pattern for small spoons. It's patterned after a small Chinese spoon I found at a gift shop in a museum in Chicago.

smallspoonwalnut2b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
tomtom, that's a wood scraper. You can get them at woodworking stores in different shapes. They give a real nice finish to wood.

I use diffuse light for my pics by surrounding my subject with a white sheet and having spot lights behind the sheet.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The knife I just bought this past fall. Used it once to carve that spoon. :) The scraper I've used several times. I have about 6 different commercial scrapers and some homemade ones. Use the end of a hacksaw blade a lot to scrape spoon bowls. The gouge I've used many times.

I have a fairly good supply of knives and very little carving time so it's hard to wear a knife out. :lol:

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
Awesome !!!

To say I was impressed would be a bit of an understatement. You must have carved a few of those to get that good?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks guys! I thought you might like those. I used to do that kind of carving a lot years ago. I gave most of it away as presents. Kinda wish I had kept them. I still do some now and then and I've got several I'm working on right now but I put so little time into these projects that it often takes me months to complete (except for a simple ball and cage in basswood which takes only several hours). I need more carving time. :lol:

I have an online tutorial on carving a ball in a cage if you are interested. Once you do one and see how easy it is, you'll know there's no real mystery to 'em. :lol: I've been wanting to do one on carving a chain. Those are pretty easy as well, once you know how. These kind of carvings take more patience than skill. :)

Ball In Cage

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE