I lak leetl spoons...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have a few flexcut tools and they are top notch. They come scary sharp too. Would not hesitate to buy more.

flexcut1b.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hoodoo said:
I have a few flexcut tools and they are top notch. They come scary sharp too. Would not hesitate to buy more.

Now I'm *really* tempted... :)
My dad used to carve matchsticks into little chains...think he did it just to prove he could, he liked miniature work. I've seen lathe turners make a wooden cage of balls, but to do it with pocket knives.....very impressive hoodoo :notworthy

Toddy

Paleoaleo

Dec 16, 2004
California, USA
Hoodoo, beautiful spoon! I like the flowing shape of that. As a fellow spoon carver, I might have to "borrow" your idea! Your photo is beautiful too! Great work.

Tom

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Help yourself. I stole it from a Chinese exhibit at the Art Institute in Chicago. :lol:

This is one I carved out of mahogany:
smallspoon2.jpg

This is the Chinese spoon I picked up in the Art Institute gift shop that I based it on.

smallspoon3.jpg

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yup, nice little spoon. I like the nice finish. I tend not to finish mine as I use them in a living history context where they would have been rough and ready anyway.

These were done in the field from half logs.

spoons.jpg

The welsh love spoon was done for my beloved last valentines day.

lovespoon.jpg

This is the portable jig I put over my knee when carving as it leaves both hands free. A piece of cord goes from the leather strap, under my raised heel and back up to the strap on the other side. When I lower my heel the strap tightens like a vice trapping the spoon nice an tight. When I want to move the piece, I just raise my heel. I'll be bringing it to the paleo weekend.

portablefront.jpg

Eric

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Hoodoo said:

Don't know if anyone know's, but i have just noticed that Axminster power tools are selling the carving jack now...

T

theorsmeister

Lovely stuff

How long did it take u to carve like that

and got any tips

btw, were those tools in the photo, the only ones u used on it

wish i had some walnut near me

i only got beech, chestnut, oak, birch

and a couple of others, but the wood is either quite plain, or too hard to work
(specially for a novice carver, such as myself)

T

theorsmeister

Nice job!!!

Wish i cud do that.

Can u use the back of a knife blade, or do u actually have to buy a scraper.

Or cud I use my metal ruler??

Anyway, good work there

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Your work is beautiful.

Having just bought my first carving knife, I’m waiting for my hands to heal before having another attempt at a spoon. I would just like to echo some of the other questions – how long and any tips?

My first attempt started as an unpromising lump of wood transitioned through a stage where one might recognise a spoon and finally formed beautiful nesting material. It doesn’t bode well for my future abilities!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Since there are a couple of us here that have posted spoons, I'm not sure who you are addressing. I guess since someone mentioned scrapers, that's probabaly me. The spine of a knife can make a good scraper if the metal is hard and the edges are not rounded. For scraping the bowl of a spoon, you need a small scraper that is rounded. A short piece of hacksaw blade will work but it's hard work because they tend to be flexible and you have to choke up on them pretty good. If you can find some hardened steel, you can use a grinder to shape it and make your own scrapers. Commercial scraper though are usually pretty cheap.

As for how long, that depends on the type of wood you are using, how much experience you have at carving, and how complicated the design is. Soft woods carve a lot faster obviously.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Good points Hoodoo and also woth mentioning that freshly cut unseasoned wood carves much easier than seasoned wood. A bit like moulding with clay and carving a brick.

Eric

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
theorsmeister said:
Nice job!!!

Wish i cud do that.

Can u use the back of a knife blade, or do u actually have to buy a scraper.

Or cud I use my metal ruler??

Anyway, good work there
Call me picky but I know a lot of people on the forum prefer to use normal English - it's clearer and more pleasant to read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE