I know it's early but ..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Through some cunning manoeuvring on my part we are going to have a nice quiet family Christmas (i..e no in-laws etc.) so I want to do something a bit different for lunch and I'd like to try something "game". The thoughts I've had are (in no particular order):
  • Rabbit
  • Wood Pigeon
  • Venison
  • Duck

My lads have both had Rabbit & Squirrel before, at a BB bushcraft meet, so I think they'll be fine but the wife might take some convincing.

Ideally I'd like it to be something I've killed myself, but seeing as I have never even shot a gun let alone killed something then I can't imagine this is do-able so the next option would be something I've prepared (which might be tricky if I decide to go for something like Venson).

I'm sure it's achievable, just not quite sure how at the moment. Any thoughts?

I'm probably making like difficult for myself, there's some decent farm-shops round here and I could just go out and by something (Last year I was tempted by a bird-in-bird thing from a shop in Bakewell but it had to be turkey :rolleyes: )

Cheers

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, if butchering the deer is what you are worried about, then look no further than our Bernie. He's in your neck of the woods anyway and I'm sure he'd show you the ropes. In fact, he'd be your man for most game as well. After a while, you'll find that different birds come apart the same, and the same with mammals. It's just the size difference. I was a bit overwhelmed doing the roe deer that Bernie brought down to the BB meet earlier in the year, Bernie just got stuck right in. Once you get your head round it, there aren't any problems.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I've done 'bird in bird in bird etc' for familly , can be impressive, but fiddly.

Thought of but not tried yet ;

Different game, bird or mammal, layered in a narrow / small but deep backing tray / tin.

You could buy pheasant, partridge, rabbit, venison, duck (or just the breasts) etc. Even buy and freeze to spread cost. Fillet breasts off birds, skin rest of cacasse to boil for soup/stock etc.

Put the different meats in layers with stuffings or sausage meats in between. Grease tin or line with baking paper so you can let it cool/stand a bit then turn it out. If it works (I've done similar) with a good sharp knife you can carve slices that show the different layers.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've done 'bird in bird in bird etc' for familly , can be impressive, but fiddly.

Thought of but not tried yet ;

Different game, bird or mammal, layered in a narrow / small but deep backing tray / tin.

You could buy pheasant, partridge, rabbit, venison, duck (or just the breasts) etc. Even buy and freeze to spread cost. Fillet breasts off birds, skin rest of cacasse to boil for soup/stock etc.

Put the different meats in layers with stuffings or sausage meats in between. Grease tin or line with baking paper so you can let it cool/stand a bit then turn it out. If it works (I've done similar) with a good sharp knife you can carve slices that show the different layers.

that sounds delicious.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Well, if butchering the deer is what you are worried about, then look no further than our Bernie. He's in your neck of the woods anyway and I'm sure he'd show you the ropes. In fact, he'd be your man for most game as well. After a while, you'll find that different birds come apart the same, and the same with mammals. It's just the size difference. I was a bit overwhelmed doing the roe deer that Bernie brought down to the BB meet earlier in the year, Bernie just got stuck right in. Once you get your head round it, there aren't any problems.

Cheers, I'll drop him a line, or have a natter next time I see him

that sounds delicious.

It does, but I think it's a bit outside my skill level :(

Rabbit for xmas dinner!? Rabbit is dog food. :yuck:

Venison, on the other hand....

lol, maybe not quite dog food but a bit small for christmas dinner ;)

Hmmm, venison. :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
If venison is to your fancy, come along to my next group camp in 3 weeks, I'm spit roasting a whole Fallow...

as far as Christmas is concerned, I stuff the Turkey with boned rolled brace of Pheasant and Chestnut stuffing, and while everyone else eats the dry ol' Turkey i consume a bottle of port with the succulent pheasant stuffing....

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
who says you have to shoot something to eat!? There's all sorts of ingenious ways to get meat, especially if you're after rabbits / hare. See if you can find a book full of poaching tips (for informative purposes only, of course).

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Some of this you'd have to buy 'over a counter' prob'

Guinea fowl supreme (boneless breast) slit and opened out a bit. Put a pheasant breast fillet inside, fold back over. Can be wraped round with very thin sliced smoked steaky bacon , or if you can find some, thin sliced smoked venison.

Cook in a hot oven. Outer wrap crisps lovely over the top and breasts stay lovely and moist.

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
got any spair seats around the table? lol you just listed everyone of my favourate meats (minus phessant).

rabbits and pidgeons are easy to catch provided you are close enough to the country to go during the early mornings or nights to catch the rabbits failing that a lot of butches usually sell freshly killed rabbits (I know my local butchers does as many of us sell them to him lol). you could also buy live rabbits or ducks from local farmers (try farmer markets) then do all the dirty work yourself (after fattening them up a bit)

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Not sure where you would find any in the UK, but how about a nice Caribou roast? They are excellent.....I've had them for Christmas before, but years ago.

D

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
If venison is to your fancy, come along to my next group camp in 3 weeks, I'm spit roasting a whole Fallow...

as far as Christmas is concerned, I stuff the Turkey with boned rolled brace of Pheasant and Chestnut stuffing, and while everyone else eats the dry ol' Turkey i consume a bottle of port with the succulent pheasant stuffing....

Some of this you'd have to buy 'over a counter' prob'

Guinea fowl supreme (boneless breast) slit and opened out a bit. Put a pheasant breast fillet inside, fold back over. Can be wraped round with very thin sliced smoked steaky bacon , or if you can find some, thin sliced smoked venison.

Cook in a hot oven. Outer wrap crisps lovely over the top and breasts stay lovely and moist.

I should have known this'd happen, every time I come back to this topic I just end up drooling :umbrella:

Not sure where you would find any in the UK, but how about a nice Caribou roast? They are excellent.....I've had them for Christmas before, but years ago.

D

There's obviously a gap in the UK market, I can't find anywhere that sells caribou :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE