I have met the enemy......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...and he is......rather nice pan fried in garlic!

3497512767_59cf02abc6.jpg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
'Pan fried' is one of those daft, meaningless, phrases used to make something sound sumptuous by cooks (or should that be 'chefs'?). I mean, what else do you fry things in?
It's a bit like when you see that development of new homes advertised as 'architecturally designed', as if other buildings were done by the local butcher.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
'Pan fried' is one of those daft, meaningless, phrases used to make something sound sumptuous by cooks (or should that be 'chefs'?). I mean, what else do you fry things in?
It's a bit like when you see that development of new homes advertised as 'architecturally designed', as if other buildings were done by the local butcher.

:D , I was thinking that the other evening frying a steak.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
'It's a bit like when you see that development of new homes advertised as 'architecturally designed', as if other buildings were done by the local butcher.

Not all houses are designed by Architects...

I would go as far as to say that they are often the worst people to work for, they either don't know what they want or have read far too many adverts in the back of RIBA journal and want to use every hard to find, difficult to work with, and just plain too expensive material that exists.

Oh, and its also possible to fry on a hotplate, like greasy spoons sometimes have;)

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I guess they mean "pan fried" as opposed to "deep fried".

There is a difference. I wouldn't like to deep fry an egg, nor would I like to pan fry my chips. (Merkins refer to them as Fries).

Yep. Pan fried in some garlic and onion.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Catch & Kill - air rifle
Prepare - just use the hind legs discard the rest
Cook - as tandoori chicken, or BBQ sauce and grill, or in a mixed game pie, stir fried with spices ... loads of ways :)

Can be a little tough but very tasty.

Cheers,

Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had four of them this morning in my garden, wriggling around the bird feeders stealing food and fatballs :rolleyes:

How many do you reckon for a pie ? I reckon they could be claimed to be organically grown :D

I know they're just cute fluffy rats, but the Reds don't visit the gardens around here, while the greys do, and folks get fond of seeing them even if they are thieving little towrags.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd reckon four to six dependant on size for a decent pie. Boil first and just pull the meat of the bones - then bake with some gravy and onion!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like frying things on hot rocks - outside my house which being over 100 years old aint never seen no architeck (well except for the extension we built 30 years ago...thet is the bit on which the roof leaks, the windows rotted and the floor creaks....)
They knowed a lot more about buildin' in the good old days before jumped up collidge baws got in on the game!
Nice idea for a meal - heat flat rocks in fire (do not use damp or friable rocks - they may explode)
Prepare cubes of steak (or portions of squirrel) and a selection of sauces to your own taste.
Oil the rocks and start frying (after a few cubes of meat the rocks should not need reoiling)
Use pointy sticks to skewer the meat so you dont burn your fingers and try different sauces with each cube (crushed ransoms in sour cream is good)
Bush haut cuisine!
And you dont need no Ti Spork neither!:D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At this time of year the grey's diet has a high proportion of eggs and chicks in it - for some reason, that probably makes no sense, I prefer to eat them in autumn when they are feeding off nuts and seeds. They're in their own breeding season as well so may be not at their best anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I reckon that with a bit of subtle publicity we could really put a huge dent in the grey squirrel population.

We simply get a couple of tv chefs and posh restaurants who cater to the 'Meedja' to serve squirrel and lapin as the truly tasty lean meat they are. Great for protein but so low in fat that you could starve on them :rolleyes:
We know it's really the effort to catch them that causes it, but it's a catchy slogan.

I think if folks thought it the latest stay slim fad they'd pay to munch the blighters into oblivion.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE