I have a hideous confession

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
I've never slept, or even sat in a hammock
I don't know why, but the idea makes me really uncomfortable. I don't know if it's because I've fractured my back in the past and the idea of falling is what does it? but I just never have

Whats it like?

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I've slept in a hammock only once. I had an awful night's sleep but I wasn't properly prepared for a night in a hammock so I got quite cold. However, I did wake up to a sunrise over the sea, which made it all worthwhile. Getting into the hammock can be a little awkward, but once you're in, it's like a cocoon around you. Unless a knot comes undone or a rope snaps, you're very unlikely to just fall out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Best and most comfortable nights sleep you can possibly have. Next most natural thing I can think of, is floating in water. You do need to set it up right though as in anything. I've never fallen out of a hammock, or have anything snap. You can also set it a couple of inches off the ground, so if it does hapen, then you will be fine.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
For me some of the best nights sleep ever. When I lived is a bedsit (sorry Studio apartment) I had a hammock in one corner to save space. If the wife would let me I would have one in are bedroom lol

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've spent many nights in a hammock, and I've only ever fallen out once.
I had spent the night at the naughty corner though.
Rum may have been involved.

They are very comfortable, if set up properly.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Def' the best sleep outdoors mate.

Get someone to show you how to set up properly though.

It certainly gets a laugh when you do fall out,think my last one still amuses Gill greatly when he thinks of it.:eek:
Doesn't hurt though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Doesn't hurt though.

It does when you've set up at the top of a steep bank in the woods. I was in a sleeping bag in a HH all coccooned up, something gave and I rolled about 4 metres down the bank. I was pretty shaken as I was half asleep when it happened, the tarp and hammock where completely enclosing me and I couldn't get out, took me absolutely ages and I ended up ripping open the mossie net to get out quicker. It really was a horrible experience and I had a wicked nose bleed from it. Luckily no one was about to see it. Lesson learned though, my knots are now slip proof.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
After not getting on with a hammock years ago i became a ground dweller again and have been ever since,however after having a chat with Sargey the other week i have decided i am going to give them another go,so i have ordered myself a new DD hammock. Hope i enjoy it this time.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The only thing that put me off was the amount of kit I had to lug - bag, underblanket, tarp, hammock, net...

Went back to tarp, thermarest and bag, and a smaller ruck.

Comfy though.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't know why, but the idea makes me really uncomfortable. I don't know if it's because I've fractured my back in the past and the idea of falling is what does it? but I just never have

Whats it like?

Well if it gives you any comfort you are not the only one :)

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i use my hh hammock for around six months of the year whilst working, its one of the most magical nights sleep you will ever have. i have never fallen out or had anything break on me.

having said that, not always the easiest thing to pitch in the uk due to most national parks not having masses of trees.... if you are abroad however then this is less of a problem....

cant recommend them enough though!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
ihave arthuritis(cant spell it)i dont sleep wel in a bed but in a hammock sleep like a baby regards dave

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches

Whats it like?

And a really good tutorial can be found HERE

Wings

Last edited:

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
I've never slept in one either, and my favourite tool at work is a swiss army knife. There I've said it, I feel much better now.
I'm only a small chap too, I think if I climbed into a hammock I would never get out again.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex

Whats it like?

i didnt get into a hammok until about 5 - 6 yrs ago and i have slept out a lot

was at the wildernes gathering

now i have probems with a back injury and it was really playing up at the weekend was about to break the no drinking rule i had made for that weekend to get some pain relief and sleep when a friend said i should use there hammock

this seemed totaly counter intuitive - i mean your in a bad postion for back right ?

nooo !

slept well eased the back and i will use a hammock when ever i can now

though have to admit they are rubbish in cold weather unless you can get a under duvet - they are not really usefull for light weight camping unless you are in warm weather

but hell in warm weather or if yu are camping out of a car they are great

drink a few beers stick on your mp3 player and its just heavenly !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE