I had a go at making myself some char-cloth a while back.. here is what i got.. :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
so while im into this whole thread starting i thought i would show you my char-cloth.. i started off with an old pair of jeans and an empty .22 pellet tin.. this is one of the easiest things to make and is so handy when out and about.. i would defiantly try it your self if you already haven't!!

So i cut up some old jeans and stabbed a hole in the top of the pellet tin lid and placed the material inside with the lid on.. i then got a little fire going in the garden and shoved on the tin.. once the smoke that was coming out of the lid changed colour (from black/brown to a lighter colour) or when the smoke stops, i covered the hole so no air could get in (this is to stop the material from setting fire). i then took it off the fire and left it to cool. once cooled i open the tin and there is was my lovely homemade char-cloth ( which works a treat)

Here are the pics
charcloth started.jpg
charcloth half way.jpg
charcloth done.jpg

Cheers Dave :D

Last edited:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Its a slippery path, with the old charcloth mate. Before you know it you'll be in and out of charity shops hunting cotton and linen :D
Does your cloth take a spark well?
Last lot I did turned out amazing, thanks to chisellers Irish linen. I bunged the whole when the smoke just about stopped.
Nice job mate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
Well done fella but i thought it was when the smoke stopped is the point at which it comes off the fire. Just my opinion.:)

it was a long time ago when i did it so you could be right there.. so i will edit it..
now i have thought about it.. it is when either the smoke stops or when it changes colour when you block the hole.. so i will add that in... thank you for pointing that out :D

Dave-Jefferson

Apr 23, 2012
York, North Yorkshire
Its a slippery path, with the old charcloth mate. Before you know it you'll be in and out of charity shops hunting cotton and linen :D
Does your cloth take a spark well?
Last lot I did turned out amazing, thanks to chisellers Irish linen. I bunged the whole when the smoke just about stopped.
Nice job mate.

Your right there mate.. from what me and my brothers have grown out of i have over 10 pairs of jeans to use! i now have a big Nescafe tin that i use so i can make about 10X as much in one go :D
well funny you should mention Chis because i have met him a few times (very nice bloke if i may ad! Full of stories and tails!) and didn't know he was on the forum until i started snooping about and saw his posts... such a small world ey! :D

i have never had a problem with any of my char-cloth taking a spark, personally i have found the longer you can leave it without burning it all away the better it is!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's what I do, take it out when the smoke stops. I bung the hole with a bit of stick that I've previously checked will fit - otherwise you have this crazy juggling scene with a VERY hot tin :lmao:

Agree, linen is very good ... but I'm NOT ripping up my nice linen clothes :rolleyes:.

Well done for making some, I never go out without it in my tinder box.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
When I make it I bury it instead of plugging the hole, you can also make charcloth without a tin this way. Just light it and as it burns it'll turn black then cover it in dry soil or sand before you get grey bits. Leave it a bit and you get char cloth :D

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Your right there mate.. from what me and my brothers have grown out of i have over 10 pairs of jeans to use! i now have a big Nescafe tin that i use so i can make about 10X as much in one go :D
well funny you should mention Chis because i have met him a few times (very nice bloke if i may ad! Full of stories and tails!) and didn't know he was on the forum until i started snooping about and saw his posts... such a small world ey! :D

i have never had a problem with any of my char-cloth taking a spark, personally i have found the longer you can leave it without burning it all away the better it is!

One word of advice about big tins. Make sure its sealed shut. I tried it with a big tin, and a out 3 pairs of jeans on the chiminea.... make sure you get out of the way when the tin starts 'ticking'. I ended up with the tin exploding open, and lovely glowing confetti.

I now stay with my old .22 pellet tin, and make small batches.

Aye, Chiseller is one of the good guys. :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I do it the Dave Canterbury way (see YouTube wilderness outfitters) using two tins.
[video=youtube;LUtNzzGM2XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtNzzGM2XU&feature=relmfu[/video]
Fill the small tin, put a larger, but shorter, tin upside down over the top and leave it alone except for spinning it around at half time. When the gasses start they force the top tin up to let the gasses escape and when they stop the top tin settles and stops the air getting in. Works every time ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE