I gots me a new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Yes, I did it. I bought a Mora. I never had one before (actually I haven't owned many knives to begin with) and I'm extremely impressed. Yesterday was my first day to get out in the woods and play with edged tools again since my injury, so I figured I'd shoot a bit of video. I hope no one's gonna butcher me for buying a Mora and not a 300€ custom, I don't have that kind of money right now. Not that I'd seriously consider dropping 300€ on a knife.

Anyways, here's my initial review, including some light use:

[video=youtube;4qeQSBYRRW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qeQSBYRRW4[/video]

And here's the Mora Triflex punching over its weight class:

[video=youtube;Cn8b9581I2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8b9581I2E[/video]

:red: I like that knife.

Thanks for watching!

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Thank you :D I learned some of it in school. But most of it is talking and writing in English a lot, some trips to the UK and, last but not least, watching movies in English. I think I still have a pretty bad german accent, I really have difficulties pronouncing words like "fatwood" or "thirteenth" without sounding like a total dork.

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Nice vid. Is that a Seiko chronograph you're wearing?
Steve

If only, if only... it is an old Casio Edifice on a OD NATO strap. I got this watch when I was 13, and I've been wearing it ever since, pretty much nonstop. Had to change the batteries once, and of course it didn't come with the NATO strap. I might get a new one when the batteries run out, the watch is kinda bulky and heavy for what it does.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
the moras are great blades...wouldnt be without mine. cheap, cheerful, and can out perform many others worth several times the price...im sure it'll give you years of great use...

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
I hope it will! I'm getting a bit anxious about sharpening, as it will need sharpening some day. I really like the performance of the scandi grind, I hope I manage to sharpen it without destroying anything. Are there any tricks to sharpening scandi ground knives?

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Mora's are great! At their price they're so much better than more expensive knives. So light that you can carry a spare in case you break one (and expensive ones break too!).

As far as sharpening goes, don't do too much I think. Stropping's a lot more useful from what I've gathered recently. Just give it a strop after each use for a quick little re-hone. I tend to use my trouser-leg (carefully).

Not that I know much about sharpening: others who know much more than I will probably offer better advice, though Moras are great knives to learn with.

Claudiasboris

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
I think I still have a pretty bad german accent, I really have difficulties pronouncing words like "fatwood" or "thirteenth" without sounding like a total dork.

No such thing as a "bad" accent mate - you are from where you are from. Nothing wrong with that. You should try understanding some of the more far flung UK accents - they can be more hard to understand than most european accents! Rejoice in your heritage and in your dodgy pronounciation!

Peace :)

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
I hope it will! I'm getting a bit anxious about sharpening, as it will need sharpening some day. I really like the performance of the scandi grind, I hope I manage to sharpen it without destroying anything. Are there any tricks to sharpening scandi ground knives?

The Scandi grind is probably the easiest to maintain edge you can use, even I can get a good edge on a scandi knife (I use a Mora too, 'almost' unbeatable value for money and as a tool, one of the best) using a DC4 in just a few strokes, less is more, as some others have said, keep it sharp in between uses and you will very rarely need to go in for heavy resharpening, as if it really needs a heavy sharpen, it was probably a bit too blunt at the task you just used it for!

Enjoy your woods!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Your English is perfect, it's these blokes from the UK I can't understand :) Good luck with the Mora, they are fantastic knives for the price and even though I own several expensive knives, I often use a Mora and keep one in my daypack always. I have not tried the new Bushcraft series with the slightly larger blades but they are sure to be winners.
I pasted a few links to some video of Ray Mears sharpening a Scandi grind which made sharpening really clear to me and I have had real success keeping my Scandi grinds razor sharp since seeing it myself. I hope it helps. There is another you can look up by Ray on field touch up using a small stone, also a good vid.
Guttentag!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1-CDNaSFs&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPRiJ_YnSCI&feature=related

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE