Input for a new Knife Design

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Exactly, which is what I assumed Mora were doing - laminated with a high carbon inner and an alloyed outer.
Carbon steel is also alloyed.
Weird they do not write what it is!

I do not remember of any difference in feel between the three various blade versions, to be frank.

Today I go mainly for the Stainless, is it stains less.
:)

Saves me being anal when cleaning them.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hey there fellow bushcrafters it has been a while!
for those who not yet know me my name is Ruud van Tiel and I am currently doing my thesis project in Mora, Sweden with Morakniv. I am in the process of developing a new knife with a wooden handle, destined for the outdoor branch. We are looking for the needs of the user. What would be the main uses for the blade? What type of finish would you prefer and what type of style suits your aesthetics best.

https://goo.gl/forms/ykqwlPycFt487jSz1

Looking forward to make something Amazing!

Yours sincerely
Ruud
As you are in contact with Morakniv, could you ask what the laminated steel is?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I understand the term carbon steel I don't always think its very helpfull. It misses out on the nuances of all the other elements that are in the steel.
Personally I use quite a lot of handplanes, and many differing blades in them.
I've used plain Stanley non laminated, laminated Stanley, japanese laminated Smoothcut, A2, PMV-11 and just bought a high speed steel blade but haven't had the chance to try it yet.
Out of the ones this bloke has tested...
http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/bladetest.html
Ive found his testing to broadly agree with my far less scientific usage.
Its worth noting that he manages to get them all as sharp but theres massive differences in edge retention
O1 is pretty much at the bottom of the scale, just sayin like.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Done, my preference for something simple that does the job. I expect my choice of wood for the handle is unusual, but I like to make things out of willow, so why not, it is a very environmentally sustainable wood, it grows that fast.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
My vote went for the 75mm or so small knife and I'm just not so fussed about what the grips are made from.
I doubt I'm really their chosen market though cos I don't buy that many knifes.
Over the years I've bought a few but most of my money goes on woodworking tools nowadays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE