I got pics of the strange thrush!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Forgive my terrible terrible photography, I was not using the flash and shooting at a distance so I wouldnt scare it off

thrush2.jpg

thrush3.jpg

thrush4.jpg

thrush5.jpg

Its been visiting our garden over christmas. Its most definately a thrush , not a blackbird. But is it Leucistic or a foreign species?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, it looks to me like a pied (partial leucism) song thrush. Its neck looks too short for a mistle thrush.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
It was too small to be a mistle thrush, we tend to get only song thrush in the garden as well.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Yeah, it looks to me like a pied song thrush. Its neck looks too short for a mistle thrush.

I have searched the internet but could not find other exotic thrush species with this head pattern, so I reckon it is a leucistic song thrush. The pictures also show this species´s warmer brown colouring on the sides (as opposed to a mistle thrush)

I came across a picture of another aberrant garden species before I noticed this thread. A great tit with more black than usual (melanistic):
http://www.birdshooting.nl/index.ph...id=15&page=inline&id=144&catid=3&limitstart=0

Cheers,

Tom

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thats an interesting great tit, easily mistaken for a seperate species. I wonder how these birds go on for breeding. Do other birds want to mate with them?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE