I.D these berries please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Anyone recognise these berries.

HPIM0566.jpg

HPIM0567.jpg

I found them while out walking and thought they looked like gooseberries but they were about 5 feet up on a bush and attached to a vine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a very good idea :D and will be much appreciated.

Re the berries; tbh I hadn't a clue, I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before and when I looked it up, after it was named, it was pretty apparant why. It's really rare in Scotland and Ireland, so not something we'd be familaiar with.
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/blackbryony.htm

It's good to see stuff like this thread though, 'cos *rare* doesn't mean *never :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Alex...

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2007
Silverstone
I thought it may have been deadly nightshade....

But only a guess and for me, I wouldnt eat it anyway as it looks quite similar...both are poisonous so no loss really. But I would love someone to point out the difference between the two.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Black Bryony without a doubt. The give away Alex, (as well as the vine like climbing habit - a bit like honeysuckle) is the heart shaped glossy leaves with very pronounced lobes evident in both pictures. Very common round here climbing through the hedgreows. The berries do cahnage colour and, in one place round here, climb through a Guelder rose which could cause some nasty confusion!

Red

K

Karr

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

I have been pondering about this plant for sometime. Is there any reference to any Ancient European, or any hunter gatherer tride ever eating the tuber.

Could the tuber have been prepared like the Checky yam?

Plants for a future- Black bryony contains Saponins (can be used to stupefy fish) that are poorly absorbed by the body, and tend to pass through. They are also broken down through cooking.

The main toxic effect is by Calcium oxalate, found mainly in the fruit. Some web searches have said it is also contained in the tuber.
Some contradictions have arisen for Calcium oxalate. Some say it is destroyed when cooked or dryed. Others say it is not destroyed- but only in reference to fish, ie Mackeral.
Calcium oxalate is found in many a food source, including Spinach,Carrots even Hawthorn leaves.

I am not suggesting anyone go out and try, probably to toxic to prepare in any manner.
But who knows, it may have been used. Any ideas.

Regards Sparrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE