I can smell Autumn in the air :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been working in the garden, in and out the lane under the trees, just pottering around all day. Tidying up, sorting stuff, and I just realised that I really was smelling Autumn :D
No real leaf drop yet, plants are still flowering and fruiting, but it's unmistakeable.

Anyone else aware of the change ?

atb,
M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nope, still hot & dry here, though the nights are getting cooler. Still got some melons waiting to ripen so hopefully there will be a few more warm days yet.
I love the autumn though.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Theres a frost due here tomorrow :approve:

The north wind and cooler temps are giving a chill to the air. I'm excited, I just love the late autumn and winter and its not far away :)

I haven't smelt autumn yet but I've noticed the stench of summers rotting vegetation lessening. :)

Bring on the sweet cold air :)

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Yep, autumn is nearly here, I noticed a change in the air a few days ago, not anything in particular, but perhaps a memory motivated sense. But we don't have summer in the UK, we have a long spring followed by a long autumn, although winter is getting pretty long these days.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
We were only talking about this today while we were on the South Downs, there was a distinct Autumnal feel to the woods

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a kind of quiet delight :) There's a bustle about Autumn that makes us stir ourselves to be busy, be prepared, and preparing for the cooler weather, and we know that the dark is coming.

I love the change of the Seasons :D every one of them has it's own pleasures, and while Summer is warm and light and vigorously green, it's moving along and it's blessedly cool in the evening :) I hate trying to sleep when it's hot, stuffy and there's no comfort snuggled down in a warm bed :eek:
My brother and his family have been here on holiday from Australia........I've been wandering around in thin cotton clothes, bare armed, and bare footed, while my SIL and her children are swaddled up in layers of wool with scarves and gloves and boots :rolleyes: and I'm looking forward to it being even cooler :)

cheers,
M

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Aye, i mentioned to Rachael yesterday there was a definite nip in the air. Time to be closing the greenhouses on a night i think, and start planning some weekends away. My main outdoors time is autumn to spring. Too many folk about in summer for me. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep. Definitely cooling down. Today's forecast high is 85f (29.4c) and tonight's forecast low is 74f (23.3c) About 20f (11.1c) cooler on average than the heat of the Summer.

The surest sign of the season change though is the stores stocking for hunting season and the colleges and universities gearing up for football season. That and the end of Summer vacation for students; my 11 year old grandson started back a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE