I am confused....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Surely if someone is prepared to pay me £10 for something I have then it really doesn't matter how much it is worth or cost.
That person thinks it's worth £10 and are happy to pay for it so it is now definitely worth£10 ,no more and no less.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Surely if someone is prepared to pay me £10 for something I have then it really doesn't matter how much it is worth or cost.
That person thinks it's worth £10 and are happy to pay for it so it is now definitely worth£10 ,no more and no less.

eggggsakerley. :)

Making a profit through trade is not a crime or even ethically questionable, it's the economic foundation of our species and the reason we all live so comfortably. If you dont agree with that model, then I'm sure China or North Korea would welcome you.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
eggggsakerley. :)

Making a profit through trade is not a crime or even ethically questionable, it's the economic foundation of our species and the reason we all live so comfortably. If you dont agree with that model, then I'm sure China or North Korea would welcome you.

I don't think making a profit through trade is morally questionable but I would say that making a profit at the expense of people's health, happiness and liberty might be....After all I think there is enough demand in the world from kids to feed them as many sweets that will make them fat and sick. And good money to be made out of supplying it. Whether that's a good thing peddling obesity to people who don't know any better for shareholder value is entirely another......

Oh yes..."the economic foundation of our species"?......it IS the reason why massive sections of our society DO NOT live comfortably.

Last edited:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
...as an aside. I watched a presentation today which included a picture of an American college kid with a laptop on which was typed:

'This laptop costs more than most of the people on the planet earn in a year.'

Who gives a stuff over that extra tenner?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Sorry, I think I was misunderstood. I was referring to my own personal ethic when selling. Ethic as in 'closely held value' and not necessarily moral stance. What I personally see as fair action on my part and what I use as a broad starting point when I sell something. I was not commenting on ethics in general. Indeed I have not opinioned what other people should do (the market, as you have stated, decides) but have purposely steered away from what others should do. I hope you don't mind me clarifying what I said.

I have also made caveat to such items that have a more special value - I would include custom knives in this - where the uniqueness, skill and often the dissproprortionate hours (to amass the skill or) to make the item AND the intrinsic value or demand of the item means it should be an exception when pricing it. I would extend that to other bespoke items requiring skill and ingenuity. For example....some of the knives you own and sell.

Sorry if I did not explain myself well.

As far as the person's right (as a seller) to ask whatever price they wish then I cannot disagree with that as a fact. If everyones judgement (both seller and buyer) was perfect then the right deal for the seller and the right deal for the buyer would be instantly struck. Alas none of us are blessed with perfection, so sometimes there is a minor niggle on price. I think when it comes to pricing it is good to have a seller that sees it as partly their responsibility to price things fairly and keep within the spirit of this site. I have not recently seen evidence of anyone who hasn't.

LBL

My apologies for getting it **** end about :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There was a thread on another forum about postage costs, rip off sellers etc especially on eBay, but as others here have said, if you don't like the price don't bid or buy, its that simple.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
There was a thread on another forum about postage costs, rip off sellers etc especially on eBay, but as others here have said, if you don't like the price don't bid or buy, its that simple.

...and if you do like the price, then go ahead and buy it. Freedom to choose in the free market economy is the economic definition of democracy. Any attempt to control economic contracts between individuals, is an assault on free will. And I totally agree Rich, it really is that simple. :)

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This whole thread is pointless. An item is worth its market value, ie, what someone is prepared to pay for it. This market force operates regardless of moral and ethical values. End of argument.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Good question. These are my 'personal' ethics/rules for selling items - it works for me and I have sold plenty of kit over the years:

If I had bought something new and then want to sell it (in new condition) then I expect to be able to sell it in the region of 60 - 40 % of the new price. It does not matter if its a day or a year and a day since I bought it. Its essentially second hand but 'as new'...but its still second hand.

There are two exceptions to this I have found.

1) Custom knives and artisan-made products of limited or unique existence.

2) If I have bought something second-hand (as new) and am selling it third-hand (as new) I often think the initial retailer mark-up/profit margin has been removed in the first 'cycle' of the sale so I might expect that item to still sell at 60 - 40 % of its new value but will be prepared to negotiate down off of this if the item is not budging.

At the end of the day......all things will sell at the right price. The right price will be what the buyer perceives its value to be...not the seller.......

Anyway...these are my humble thoughts.....

LBL
In 1904 my house cost £104 3shilling and 4 pence halfpenny, its had 6 owners, so what do you say £60 would be a fair second (seventh hand) price?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE