I am confused....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
:rolleyes: I know I know...but I just don't get it.......:confused:

but when selling an item I was always under the impression that it was then'second hand' and that meant that you not only lost the VAT amount from the price you paid but also that the item had depreciated depending on the amount of use/wear etc. (unless it is SO rare of course)

I just don't follow the reasoning (and frankly find it annoying :eek:) when some people,when they post an item for sale, put in the text:
"I'm not looking to make money on this, just to get back what I paid"

:dunno: WHY-oh-WHY should anyone get what they paid for it?:dunno:

We all want a mutually satisfying deal where the seller and buyer are both happy and is it not all about how much the buyer perceives the value of the item and is willing to offer?

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I think IMHO that happens when someone buys something to try it out, try it on etc but for whatever reason it doesn't suit/fit them or they never use it and they decide to sell it on.

They haven't used or worn the item so just want to make their money back. Personally I don't have a problem with that.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
somethings only worth what people are prepared to pay.

if i wanted to buy a flashy jacket and saw it for, say, £60 in a shop and someone was selling the exact thing on a forum for very similar money i would go to the shop, cos at the end of the day i wouldnt pay full price for secondhand goods. but thats just me.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Im no major seller of items ie shop owner, But I have sold alot of kit over the years, as I have chanced hobbies or jobs. I always try to get half the retail price of what I bought it for... Every thing I have sold is as new, or next to new, I tend to look after all my kit, If its not as new, its usually given away for next to nothing..

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Quite often folk here will say that when they're selling a limited availability item - particularly with knives or custom-made jackets. Ditto if they've bought something off another member second-hand, and it doesn't fit. Have done the same myself.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Good question. These are my 'personal' ethics/rules for selling items - it works for me and I have sold plenty of kit over the years:

If I had bought something new and then want to sell it (in new condition) then I expect to be able to sell it in the region of 60 - 40 % of the new price. It does not matter if its a day or a year and a day since I bought it. Its essentially second hand but 'as new'...but its still second hand.

There are two exceptions to this I have found.

1) Custom knives and artisan-made products of limited or unique existence.

2) If I have bought something second-hand (as new) and am selling it third-hand (as new) I often think the initial retailer mark-up/profit margin has been removed in the first 'cycle' of the sale so I might expect that item to still sell at 60 - 40 % of its new value but will be prepared to negotiate down off of this if the item is not budging.

At the end of the day......all things will sell at the right price. The right price will be what the buyer perceives its value to be...not the seller.......

Anyway...these are my humble thoughts.....

LBL

Last edited:

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
With goods bought second hand that have not deteriorated or depreciated in the short time of ownership before moving on again, I can understand the logic, but as you say... when bought as new and then sold on.... :confused:

Dom.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Gentlemen,
Before this turns into a major rant at individual members for their personal dealings with other individual members - I'd like to refer you to the rules and guidelines of the forum in general and the Sales sub-forum in particular, namely:-
Added guidelines after some discussion on the forum about commenting on prices.

1. Seller posts up the price they want for an item.
2. Seller posts up that it includes fees and postage or not.
3. Buyers accept the price or not.
4. If the buyers think the prices are a bit high they can comment politely in the thread or via PM to the seller.
5. Do not all jump into the thread and say the prices are high, or you can get it here or there cheaper. Leave it alone if someone has already politely pointed it out.
6. The Seller can then comment as they see fit, change prices etc as they want to.
7. Do not keep jumping in saying the same thing as the posts will be removed and warnings given.
8. Always be polite and considerate.
9. Buyers end up buying or not
10. Seller ends up selling or not

There’s responsibility both ways, the seller should consider the prices he’s putting things up at, obviously if it’s a one off item made of precious materials he they can ask what they like for it as it’s got a value based on what people are willing to pay. If it’s a standard product then it needs to be pitched at a price that will sell, if it’s not it won’t.

If buyers think the prices are steep then politely say so, once. If someone has already said the prices are a bit high then there’s not need to say it again and again, drop the seller a polite PM saying that you’d buy from him but the item(s) are a bit much. Make sure you’ve got a good basis for it though and that it’s not just your whim that you want it cheaper.

If you’re a seller it’s in your interest to put up a good price so that your items sell, if someone comments about the prices consider the comment and act as you will. Keep the prices, change them or whatever, up to you.

I don’t think that people post comment to be nasty, the say what they’re thinking and sometime it can seem very blunt, just be a bit considerate and all should go smoothly. The problem with what I’ve written above is that it can still be manipulated, if someone wants to they can say “but it doesn’t say that in the rules, you can’t tell me I can’t do that” I’m leaving this as a compromise and I hope that it works out. I know from past experience that you’re all a good bunch and that you recognise the part you play in helping things run smoothly, there’s a big onus on you the members to make this work. If it doesn’t work I’ll change to the blanket rule of no comments about prices on sales threads.

If for any reason a moderator does step in take on board what’s said and abide by it, they do what I’ve asked of them. If there’s an issue let me know or bring it up with the mod in question via PM, if it’s a good subject for general discussion it can be discussed. Do not turn the thread into a debate.

What it boils down to is something like - if you want it, buy it, if you think it is too expensive, you have the right to say so, privately and politely, if you don't want it, don't buy it!

Your understanding in the matter is appreciated.

Ogri the trog
Forum Moderator

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Isn't the answer simple?

If you don't like the price of an item then don't buy it.

Some people ask for more than they paid for a rare item. If someone wants to pay it, dandy. If not, it doesn't sell and the buyer can reduce the price or keep it.

Red

and they always make you feel like they are doinmg you a favor :D

one thing to remember that is removed is the warranty/come back that a Shop has to legally give when selling an item (even second hand from a shop ahs some cover )
a seller second hand cant give you that

i guess if an Alan wood knife is dont like this it could save you 10yrs on the waiting list and some people where marking them up massivly beyond the RRP and they still sell colactables at higher than RRP so gues you could say its been marked down from its potential value

ATB

Duncan

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Good question. These are my 'personal' ethics/rules for selling items - it works for me and I have sold plenty of kit over the years:

If I had bought something new and then want to sell it (in new condition) then I expect to be able to sell it in the region of 60 - 40 % of the new price. It does not matter if its a day or a year and a day since I bought it. Its essentially second hand but 'as new'...but its still second hand.

There are two exceptions to this I have found.

1) Custom knives and artisan-made products of limited or unique existence.

2) If I have bought something second-hand (as new) and am selling it third-hand (as new) I often think the initial retailer mark-up/profit margin has been removed in the first 'cycle' of the sale so I might expect that item to still sell at 60 - 40 % of its new value but will be prepared to negotiate down off of this if the item is not budging.

At the end of the day......all things will sell at the right price. The right price will be what the buyer perceives its value to be...not the seller.......

Anyway...these are my humble thoughts.....

LBL

My thoughts exactly
Rat

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Selling used gear for 1/2 retail?
Thats the Antique market gone for a Burton then! :D

I'm thinking more about a personal sale of an unwanted item rather than Trade and collectibles......but John...you are quite right, the Antiques Market is taking items that might have cost pence....been through many owners....and still sell for more than when they were new :eek: Seems to be quite a robust business model....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't understand the problem. If you have something to sell, it is your right to ask what you want for it. It is up to everyone else whether they buy it at that price. Has nothing to do with ethics at all.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I don't understand the problem. If you have something to sell, it is your right to ask what you want for it. It is up to everyone else whether they buy it at that price. Has nothing to do with ethics at all.

Sorry, I think I was misunderstood. I was referring to my own personal ethic when selling. Ethic as in 'closely held value' and not necessarily moral stance. What I personally see as fair action on my part and what I use as a broad starting point when I sell something. I was not commenting on ethics in general. Indeed I have not opinioned what other people should do (the market, as you have stated, decides) but have purposely steered away from what others should do. I hope you don't mind me clarifying what I said.

I have also made caveat to such items that have a more special value - I would include custom knives in this - where the uniqueness, skill and often the dissproprortionate hours (to amass the skill or) to make the item AND the intrinsic value or demand of the item means it should be an exception when pricing it. I would extend that to other bespoke items requiring skill and ingenuity. For example....some of the knives you own and sell.

Sorry if I did not explain myself well.

As far as the person's right (as a seller) to ask whatever price they wish then I cannot disagree with that as a fact. If everyones judgement (both seller and buyer) was perfect then the right deal for the seller and the right deal for the buyer would be instantly struck. Alas none of us are blessed with perfection, so sometimes there is a minor niggle on price. I think when it comes to pricing it is good to have a seller that sees it as partly their responsibility to price things fairly and keep within the spirit of this site. I have not recently seen evidence of anyone who hasn't.

LBL

Last edited:

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent

Supply and demand I guess would be the easiest answer to that.

I have recently sold a knife for what I paid for it as 'I was not out to make money'. It just so happened that it's delivery coincided with my wife's unexpected redundancy, hence it had to go. I put it up for sale at the very same price I paid for it, but then again I did have to wait over 2 months for it. I then drove a 60 mile round trip to deliver it at my cost.

The buyer was very happy with it.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
:rolleyes: I know I know...but I just don't get it.......:confused:

but when selling an item I was always under the impression that it was then'second hand' and that meant that you not only lost the VAT amount from the price you paid but also that the item had depreciated depending on the amount of use/wear etc. (unless it is SO rare of course)

I just don't follow the reasoning (and frankly find it annoying :eek:) when some people,when they post an item for sale, put in the text:
"I'm not looking to make money on this, just to get back what I paid"

We all want a mutually satisfying deal where the seller and buyer are both happy and is it not all about how much the buyer perceives the value of the item and is willing to offer?

Now I'm confused. Is this the communist utopian BcUK or the free market economy BcUK?

:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE