Hunting with Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
hey Peter t ,the catty was a gift from a good pal of mine in the states,heres a couple of ones i made:

this one i call the polecat ,its small and compact and is carved from a single piece of buffalo horn , inset is a pewter bunny.
polecat1.jpg

this one is made from a hazel fork with leather grips.
DSC00149.jpg

this one i call the buffalo its carved from one solid piece of buffalo horn with a rosewood butt:
newcamera1021.jpg

heres another with a brass butt plate and a leather belt holster:
IMAG0011-7.jpg

catty.jpg

and heres my faveorite user , its made from a very hard to find angled red deer antler.

DSC01512.jpg

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
Hi guys I have just stumbled upon this thread,I too am a frequent user of catapults.Here in Malaysia I have made a couple and been quite successful at shooting crows.I have shot at least 10,due to them being a constant pest,mobbing local species ect,ect.Due to my experience,I would recommend using a good hard wood as a base/handle and rubber/surgical tubing as the elastic.I have also found that if you are a right hander,use your left hand to hold the catapult and right hand to draw.This is one of the most effective/accurate setups that I am using.

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
wow fishfish i love slingshots and i have used them for years. I always keep them in all my vehicles, and backpacks. i used to use them for hunting when I was too young to carry a rifle,

here is what I use now
artsyrabbitre6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
but i still use them a lot for fun plinking and eradicating the ocasional pest.
but i think if i had slingshots as nice as yours i could take up hunting with them again
you should post a tutorial on how you make your slingshots, i especially love that small little "polecat" one it would be great for sticking in your pocket for a day and it looks like it lends itself well to how I hold a slingshot when i shoot (do you put your thumb and index finger on the forks when you shoot??)
also where do you get that square rubber, and what advantage does it have over the surgical tubing, and I'm not sure how you are fastening the rubber to the slingshot with the leather caps?
anyway i am very impressed good job:You_Rock_

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
I also have seen a lot of the flat rubber bands what are those made of and what advantages does it have. all I have ever used is the surgical tubing, and i have always wanted something with more power.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I also have seen a lot of the flat rubber bands what are those made of and what advantages does it have. all I have ever used is the surgical tubing, and i have always wanted something with more power.

They are the same stuff that physios use as resistance bands. I have just replaced my 'power bands' on my Saunders wrist-rocket pro with with some cut from TheraBand Gold. I have never used surgical tubing but my understanding the main advantage is speed and the fact that you can stack them e.g. mine is a double band.

Expect a better responce the more experience cattie nut here before to long, that is unless this is already an Xpost :D

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
They are the same stuff that physios use as resistance bands. I have just replaced my 'power bands' on my Saunders wrist-rocket pro with with some cut from TheraBand Gold. I have never used surgical tubing but my understanding the main advantage is speed and the fact that you can stack them e.g. mine is a double band.

Expect a better responce the more experience cattie nut here before to long, that is unless this is already an Xpost :D

thanks i found some on ebay Im gonna have to make an order

Nov 7, 2008
You can use a catapult to hunt with. Treat it just as you would an air gun. use it only where you have permision to hunt on ect. They are a lot harder to use than a gun so pratice a lot and keep you range to a sensible distance and be awear they can rebound?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The square elastic is mostly used to power model aircraft. I've got some that's 5mm thick and it's really effective in my black widow. The recommendation is to keep it cold and dark when not in use since UV damages the elasticity.

cheers,
Toddy

samwebb

Dec 4, 2008
kent
I think that, as with most of these law based discussions, even if it is illegal, your are not going to be prosecuted by anyone.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
wow fishfish i love slingshots and i have used them for years. I always keep them in all my vehicles, and backpacks. i used to use them for hunting when I was too young to carry a rifle,

here is what I use now
artsyrabbitre6.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
but i still use them a lot for fun plinking and eradicating the ocasional pest.
but i think if i had slingshots as nice as yours i could take up hunting with them again
you should post a tutorial on how you make your slingshots, i especially love that small little "polecat" one it would be great for sticking in your pocket for a day and it looks like it lends itself well to how I hold a slingshot when i shoot (do you put your thumb and index finger on the forks when you shoot??)
also where do you get that square rubber, and what advantage does it have over the surgical tubing, and I'm not sure how you are fastening the rubber to the slingshot with the leather caps?
anyway i am very impressed good job:You_Rock_
nice rabbits

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE