Hunting with Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
According to your BASC link Toddy game licences in Scotland were being phased out following the 2007 shooting season therefore I assume it is now gone.

I have however just emailed BASC to see if they can clarify the position, I'll post a reply when it comes in.

Thanks it was helpful.

Read on.......
"Although game licences have been abolished in England and Wales, the Scottish Executive’s plans to scrap game licences will not happen before this coming game shooting season which is why all who shoot game in Scotland will still require a game licence.

Dr Colin Shedden, BASC’s Scottish director, said: “We are still working to get rid of the game licence in Scotland. We sought assurances from the Crown Office that no prosecutions would be taken forward given the cross-border situation, but this guarantee was not forthcoming. What we have now is a mechanism to allow all who shoot in Scotland to comply with the law”.

until they post that the requirement has actually been removed by the Scottish Executive then one must assume otherwise. The Scottish Executive moves at it's own determined pace, a few loudly hopeful enthusiasts ain't gonna shift them,
And one would reasonably expect to see it shouted about on the net, yet I can find nothing, can you?
Certainly, as of December 2007 the licence was still required for Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The link has a phone number for BASC, if anyone is in urgent need of information.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
IIRC Its still legal to shoot a Welshman in the grounds of Ludlow castle with a longbow.
:27:
that would be Welshmen in the outer city and castle of Chester after dark, and only in 1403

" Henry IV took severe precautions to ensure that there would be no repetition. On 4th September 1403, he wrote to the Mayor, Sheriffs and Aldermen of the City of Chester, commanding that "all manner of Welsh persons or Welsh sympathies should be expelled from the City; that no Welshman should enter the City before sunrise or tarry in it after sunset, under pain of decapitation".

Not shoot, not Ludlow, no longer legal. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Confirmed with BASC, a Game Licence is still required to hunt in Scotland and that includes folks from South of the border coming North to so so.
Available from Main post offices or by mail from the post office at Dunkeld.

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Should have asked about using a catapult while you were at it Toddy!

No point in getting a licence if I can't hunt..... and gave up all my shotguns and rifles many years ago.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Just off the phone with BASC in Scotland and the official position is....

It is NOT illegal to hunt and shoot rabbits with a catapult providing you have permission from the landowner to do so.

However the Wild Mammals Protection Act 1996 is worth a look at....... as this act refers to the willful injury, maiming etc of wild mammals by stoning, burning, beating with sticks.

It's all down to.... if your intention is to kill. Therefore you would need to be proficient and accurate with a catapult, and be using ammunition which would result in a kill and not be deemed as only capable of injury. So that would count out using aniseed balls........... Any passerby seeing someone firing several shots at a wild mammal and hitting but neither killing nor stunning could be of the opinion that your intention was not to kill.

Basc advice is ........as you would expect......to carry an air rifle for the purpose of hunting rabbits for the pot!

In summary you can shoot rabbits with a catapult providing you
A. Have permission from the landowner to do so.
B. Are proficient and accurate enough to reasonably expect to kill.
C. Your intention is to kill and not injure or maime or otherwise cause suffering.
D. Are using ammunition which would be sufficient to kill.

There we are all sorted now we know where we stand, ....also bow, crossbow, spear, dart, are all illegal and are deemed offensive weapons.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The idea of aniseed balls was for practice ammo not a live scenario, and I did ask the BASC this morning and the response was that they have no list of legal or illegal weapons or appropriate target species.

I know Joe Connolly, the co-ordinator at Pitt Street for the Wildlife Crimes Police Officers, I know that he did have a list of illegal traps, I wonder if he has more information, in one readable document, that we could access on the legality of various hunting methods.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not up here they're not.........even the poachers have them. I've just asked two of my locals to clarify the licence thing for me........the only tweed that pair wear is bunnnets :D

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those who are interested in such things, there is a downloadable version of the WCA 1981 at the JNCC website (its big though)

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3614

To be clear the laws on Birds and Animals are different. There are provisions for

Specifically banned weapons for hunting purposes (notably bows and crossbows)
Specifically banned techniques & traps for hunting purposes (e.g. self locking snares)
Specifically protected animals (e.g. Red squirrels :))
Animals where certain techniques may not be used (you may not use a lamp to hunt badgers)

For hunting animals You need to refer to Section 9 of Part 1 of the Act and Schedules 5 & 6 for listed animals.

Additionally

(1)There is the Offensive Weapons Act to take into account that ban the ownership of certain weapons (notably blow guns as noted above) - the WCA only bans use in hunting

(2) Specific laws relate to the use of firearms and target species (notably the use of calibres on deer, Section 1 firearms on birds etc.)

(3) Above all else all laws relating to animal cruelty still apply (including as suggested above the WMPA)

Hope that helps a little - it means that such things as catapults aren't banned as "offensive weapons" in that they are legal to own although of course they could be used as such an result in prosecution - the same as any other item could be. Equally they aren't forbidden under the WCA as a specifically banned hunting tool.

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks BR :D That's a useful set of links and info :beerchug:

I know the list of vermin, the mammals that can be controlled by legally approved methods all year round - see British Association for Shooting and Conservation for more information.

Fox
Rat
Mice (except dormice)
Rabbit
Grey squirrel
Mink
Weasel
Stoat
Feral cat

I didn't know that stoats and weasels were still considered as such though.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My main reason for asking in the first place was when I was last out I had a couple of bunnies feeding no more than 10' from where I was sitting quietly. I thought one of them would have made a nice dinner, just the right size not too big and not too small.

If I had a catapult ...and just as importantly....the proficiency to use it accurately with a good solid ball bearing for a projectile then I could have been feasting on rabbit stew that evening.

Now I know that if I felt I was good enough (which I'm not) with a catapult and had permission from the landowner I could...without fear of having my collar felt by Officer "must have stumbled getting into the van M'lud" Plod .

Now must start practicing......where's next doors piddle on my roses cat?
Only joking with the last bit....It doesn't piddle on my roses ...I hav'nt got any! Lol

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Some good info there from Toddy, sniper and Red - thanks people :)

I may just dig out my old Black Widow and see if I really am as useless with it as I remember :rolleyes: There's a possibility of me camping on land with permission to take rabbits so it may well be worth me putting in some practise.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I am no expert with cattys, but as far as I see it, to attain accuracy you need to develop a technique which sees you doing everything the same each time. Draw the power bands or whatever they are called to the same point each time, crook of the arm or the cheek, whatever. Use the same grip each time, use the same type of ammo each time (Ball bearings, maybe from an old scrap yard? car parts use lots of ball bearings; wheel bearings, gear boxes, etc.) Once you eliminate ythe variables, then it is just down to range and aiming. Simple, innit? :rolleyes:

:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
100 marbles for £1 just now :D .........and I know there's a Black Widow up the loft somewhere ......I think we finally reckoned the best ammo was the cast it yourself musket balls, and the cheapest supply of 'lead' was plumber's potable solder, which we used to be able to buy by the kilo :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

I'm wondering if a sticky of relevant links could be made for Fair Game ? The laws are changing, but DEFRA, WIldlife Crime Officers, BASC and others surely ought to have up to date, relevant information.

M

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Old wheel weights, used to be free to a good home but like so much now the scrap value means you now have to pay for them.

Hi Toddy, the one piece of tweed I do approve of, should smell like a damp spaniel if its a good un.

Pothunter.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Couple the lead from the back of your friendly meter fitters' van with this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BALL-LEAD-SIN...yZ112956QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And you could make accurate ammunition quite easily. I'm intrigued now! A musket ball mould would be nicer for the antique feel and what not, but these would work just fine giving you accurate ammunition for your catty with a bit of work involved. Be careful with the fumes though!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
not that i'll ever try it - I havn't the time or inclination to get my aim good enough - but it would be nice to find something a little less toxic than lead shot - something that would decompose in time would be best but I can see that would be a tall order....

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Think I might just dig out some of my old "tin hat" small bore targets and squander a couple of quid and a few hours with a handful of ball bearing to see if I can get get my eye in consistantly enough and produce enough oooomph to make it feasible!

Iv'e got the hankerin to get ma wallies aroon a kentucky fried bunny.

"English translation" I quite fancy some rabbit stew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE