Hunting with Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I was just reading an article written in america talking about hunting with a catapult or as they refer to it a slingshot. Can anyone tell me the law in the UK regarding hunting with one. I've looked up all the sites I could think of but nothing on catapults. Plenty on airguns though.
Thinking it would be a useful tool to pack in the woods cos I don't like snare when not an emergency ...just looking for fresh dinner whilst out.
I had thought of maybe a black widow and using ball bearings as ammo.
If legal does anyone else use one for hunting?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I was just reading an article written in america talking about hunting with a catapult or as they refer to it a slingshot. Can anyone tell me the law in the UK regarding hunting with one. I've looked up all the sites I could think of but nothing on catapults. Plenty on airguns though.
Thinking it would be a useful tool to pack in the woods cos I don't like snare when not an emergency ...just looking for fresh dinner whilst out.
I had thought of maybe a black widow and using ball bearings as ammo.
If legal does anyone else use one for hunting?

Dont know what the law is,but used to use a black widow and marbles to great effect on roosting pheasants on a windy night when they were down low,in my younger days

Bernie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Illegal, iirc, unless for taking out grey squirrels to feed birds of prey iirc. :rolleyes:
Otherwise, like the blowpipe, it's an offensive weapon.

Maybe that's just England and Wales though :dunno: Strikes me the Procurator Fiscal or the Sheriff Court would demand proof that you actually had a B of Prey

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a lot harder to be as accurate with as an airgun, but with practice amazing accuracy is possible.......the rubber tubing is a constant adjustment though, the temperature alters the 'pull'. I found it was better with the 5mm square rubber that's used to power the enormous band powered model aircraft. Sweeties make good practice ammo :D Cinnamon or aniseed balls splatter and drive dogs nuts :rolleyes: A while ago someone on the forum said he found mint imperials good since they powdered on impact and you can see where you've hit.

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I suppose if you hit the target, a nice little bunny...... from the right angle.......... and with the right amount of force with an aniseed ball........ it would adding celeriac to the stuffing Lol

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Now, I don't want to send this thread down to Argument Land like so many have in recent days :)rolleyes:) but Peter Galetta (Birchtree pProductions Bushcraft blokey, sorry if I've spelt your name wrong) uses a catty to take down a pigeon in one of his DVDs. Now, I'm not sure if he'd be stupid enough to incriminate himself by recording it and then releasing it on DVD for sale to the public! I'd be very interested to know if it really is indeed illegal in England.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know how you need a Game Licence to take rabbits and the like ? Does any of the paperwork state exactly what can and cannot be taken and by what method ? I think last time I just paid a few quid at the P.O. counter but that wasn't yesterday.....

I have no issues with good hunting; alive one minute and dinner the next, even if it's not something I will eat, is fine.

However, the forum cannot be seen to condone or encourage an illegal act.
Can I ask that any information posted, that states categorically that a particular hunting method is legal and appropriate, is referenced. Remember that the laws are different in Scotland.

I'm hoping that one of the Mods who are particularly interested in Fair Game comes and reads the thread. Tbh meat is just something dead I prep to feed to other folks as far as I'm concerned.

cheers,
Toddy

un fortunatly laws normally state what is Illegal so it can be difficult to find what is legal
Took me ages looking for speargun on SCUBA as illegal (As quoted by many many people ) its not so i never found it :D

So you need quote where its illegal not the other way round

in England you dont need a game licence for rabbits its covered by the general licence for vermin issued by DEFRA to the country as a whole ( i thnk even Game licences have been removed now in England as well)

ATB

Duncan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
We don't need a Game Licence Mary, I think Scottish and English Law is differing again to confuse us all! Not sure if it is relevant to Scotland, but the DEFRA list on pest animals pretty much tells me what I can and can't shoot, although a game keeper type I was talking to today was under the impression that if it is on the land you have permission to shoot on and the owner of the land wants that animal off, then as long as it isn't protected then you can shoot it. This goes for pheasants, partridge, hare, rabbit, etc. I don't know if that is correct though, so I'll stick to what I currently do!

With regards to Game Licences, I think they have been abolished. It seems they cost more in paperwork than the cost of the licence itself.

Of course, I agree that if it isn't legal then it shouldn't be condoned by BcUK. I'm just after clarity.

Edit: FGYT, lightning fingers! :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You know how you need a Game Licence to take rabbits and the like ? Does any of the paperwork state exactly what can and cannot be taken and by what method ? I think last time I just paid a few quid at the P.O. counter but that wasn't yesterday.....cheers,
Toddy

Actually, no license to take game is required in England and Wales

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/vertebrates/game-licences.htm

Regards - Red

Far too slow :)

Its worth remembering that there is though the "general licence" which grants exemption from the blanket injuction against shooting wild birds (Wildife and Countryside Act 1981)for certain "pest" species for a given set of reasons. I've covered that before in other threads

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just checked, it was fifteen years ago I last had one :rolleyes:

So, no game licences South of the Border, but what is a considered a legal method among the smaller (sorry, it's late, I mean not rifles or shot or air guns ) projectile methods ?

Catapault ?
Blowpipe ?
Spear ?
Atlatl ?
Dart ?
Sling ?
Boomerang ?
Bolas ?
Longbow ?
Crossbow ?

Tbh, I'd like this neat and tidy, on one thread. With clarity of detail.

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, bow hunting of any sort is way out in England definitely, can't say for sure for Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Blow pipe is the same, and I would imagine Atlatls and darts would also come under the same exclusion. Dutch arrows used to be used to great effect, they are now a sporting event if I remember correctly.

It really is a big subject, if you think about all the different types of weapons that could be used, and then differrences in Law throughout UK. Some sort of table and a graph are probably required!

:D

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Blowpipes are just plain illegal full stop in the UK under Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons).

But since they done define what is or is not a blowpipe (e.g. minimum length) a 'pea shooter' in illegal and in theory could get you a custodial sentence.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
According to your BASC link Toddy game licences in Scotland were being phased out following the 2007 shooting season therefore I assume it is now gone.

I have however just emailed BASC to see if they can clarify the position, I'll post a reply when it comes in.

Thanks it was helpful.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Apparantly it is not illegal to hunt with a Black Widow style catapult in England provided you are on private land with permission to hunt and it isn't your first means of vermin control.

Basically, if your snares aren't working and your powder has gone damp then fire away. But you can't just walk across the Downs with a Diablo taking shots at bunnies for the pot.

This is the information given to me by AQA - I don't know where they get their info from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE