How would you go about making a broad axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chassybold

Dec 30, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am interested in making a broad Axe for a friend of mine as a sort of...present : ), and i wondered if any body could give me any tips and information on making them. I already know how to harden and temper steel, i was more talking about thickness of steel, and bevels, size of the handle, and the head, things like that.
Any information that you consider to be helpful in any form for this project i can assure you would be more than appreciated.
Thanks,

Charlie.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
He hasn't been online much recently but give Xunil a PM. He has forged a couple of axes.

Failing that Dave Budd should be able to help you out.

ATB
Andy

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
What style are you thinking of?Forged from a billet with a punched eye?Folded type with a carbon steel edge fire welded in?
A broad axe is a big lump and i reckon you'd need an assistant..

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
in terms of construction, as mentioned you are looking at the punched or welded eye as with any axe; but the blade is normaly much larger than the mass at the eye allows for so you will either have to knock a big lump down at one end or weld a longer edge into a prepared body.

In terms of geometry and sizes, it depends on what you want to use it for. Do some searches for broad axes and you'll see they come in a huge range of shaped and sizes for different jobs, but they are normally wide bladed but not too thick in the blade.

I was asked to make one for a chap a while back and I said that I wouldn't as I don't have a power hammer. He then said that he wanted it made by hand. So I told him that the only way I would do it would be if HE swung the sledge hammer for a long day in the forge at a big lump in addition to the price that I would need to charge for making such an axe! Needless to say he didn't go for it and went out and got a GB axe instead :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE