How was your Sunday morning?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
had a good morning. her indoors set off to france with her mum for the week. so home alone. :) . went to b and q then re felted the shed roof. got to keep the camping stuff dry. :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Stroll in the Forest of Dean - lasted into the afternoon. Saw loads of Bambi's mates and had a nice cuppa brewed on my bushbuddy. Lurvely!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Went to Loch Doon for a stroll.

Had to help some folks from Carlisle who had been locked in up one of the forest roads by the forestry gates.
Luckily I know folk up there with keys,so managed to get them out.

Very warm up here,did garden in afternoon.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Quick walk through kings wood to the Pentewan gala, it's really nice place, a few spots that would be good to camp out but it's woodland trust and I've no idea how I'd ask them let alone whether they would allow it or not :p

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
spent the morning striking camp up at spitewinter after the midlands meet, then came home and spent the rest of the day crashed out on the sofa, a good day all round

cheers

stuart

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
My Sunday Morning was all good...

Woke up about 06:30 just as it was getting on light. I'd been sleeping under a tarp and Saturday night had been wet. First cuppa of the day made under the tarp in my Jetboil while still in the confines of my sleeping bag. Made a few teaching notes for the day ahead.

Then up with a breakfast of Beans + Sausages followed with another brew.

Shake the water off of the Tarp as it had been raining most of the night. Do the rounds around the camp area to wake up the clients and get them moving.

By 08:00 everyone is up and getting on with Breakfast and enthusing about having spent the night in debris shelters and having lived to tell the tale.

08:45 sees the first lesson of the day 'intro to traps' and folks getting to grips with the mysteries of the fig 4 deadfall and paiute deadfall. Plus a good discussion about the merits of 'trapping' in a short term survival situation. After that and another brew. We looked at plants that are good for Rongoa then pack up the site and head out...

Cheers

John

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Went to Sandringham Craft Fair. Thought I'd get some tips on green woodworking, carving and blacksmithing. :rolleyes:
Watta mistaka to makka. :nono:
The green-woodworking was one guy making hurdles and gates. I know him from the pole lathe society. Lovely bloke, extremely helpful and sooooo knowledgeable.:35:
The Kings Lynn and Norfolk power turners were there as well doing their thing (seemed a nice bunch as well).
Then I got to the so called blacksmith exhibitor. :yikes:
All I saw was someone selling weather vanes.
I had a chat and said I'd just been lent, on a long term borrow, a gas forge. I innocently asked if he used gas. His reply was " No MIG. Cleaner and you don't get any slag". The penny eventually dropped..:togo:...he was talking about welders. It transpires that he buys all the bits off the Internet and then tacks them together and sprays them black and gold. He did do some cold scrolls on a former that he had bought which was as far as the metal working (blacksmithing?) went.
I had a chat with one of the organisers. Next year they may have a geezer with a gas Portaforge and a home built forge he's made, hammering some round flat and some square stuff round. Apparently he will be making knife blanks and strikers, and letting people "have a go" as they say as long as his insurance covers it....well I think I will be anyway! :campfire:

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Had a horrendous Sunday.

It started at about 03.00 when I was woken by wifey telling me that a mouse had got into the bedroom ( we were staying in the cottage we are reconstructing). Aooarently, the wheat is being cut in the area and the mice are out and about. The dog, a Yorkshire terrier no less, took one look at the mouse and went back to sleep. After an hour trying to locate the mouse we gave up but could not get ack to sleep.

The mouse was later located in an old fashioned electric storage heater. So at 09.00, dissembling said heater began. This was abandoned at 12.00 because we could not take any more of it apart. Then we thought of ventilating the mouse out fo the heater but the electric supply had been cut to the heater due to the reconstruction. Definitely round 1 to the mouse.

After that I attacked the garden with a strimmer. It started smoking so I dropped it pronto and used the second strimmer - which just packed up without warning. So I got the scythe out and was doing well until I ran my finger down the blade instead of the sharpening stone. When the bleeding stopped, we came back home.

Thirty minutesd later a huge storm kicked off with hailstones the size of ping pong balls crashing down. I thought the windoww would not survive but they did. The neighbour's did not. The noise was so loud that conversation was not possible. It only lasted ten minutes but after it was over, the surrounding area was a sea of white. My tomato crop was reduced to a single shredded stalk and all trees lost about a third of their leaves. A plastic storage container for storing gear when canoeing had six holes in it. I will try to post some pics later.

Finally went to bed but the ambulances were in full cry taking people to hospital....

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Sunday morning was spent finding and repairing the leak in the washing machine, which had flooded and soaked into the concrete floor of the ‘conservatory’. (Which is still drying out) then another hour was spent cleaning and reattaching the handle to the cooker which had snapped and broken off in three places. (Fahrenheit epoxy paste is great stuff and can be used up to 260 degrees Celsius) then an hour or two spent loading and unloading dishwasher and washing machine (now the leak is found I can use both to great effect) the tumble drier was also finally sent to the great recycling yard in the sky (it died end of last year, and in doing so has saved us £140 off the electricity bill so far) A quick trip to the tip with it and the sopping carpet and under carpet.
I managed to grab an hour or so to rough shape and glue up the ‘new’ wooden handle to my Frost 760 (the plastic handle sacrificed itself to a batton within the first hour of the moot). The afternoon was more of the same kind of household repairs in between rain and random attempts to progress the knife repair.
I was glad to go to work on Monday for some kind of rest ;)

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
In a word Rubbish,I was supposed to be canoeing down loch shiel but my menieres was playing up so it was a no go.
Still it will still be there in a little while.
Soloman.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Me and the missus were camping in Glen Esk, in the middle of nice birch woods. We were woken on Sunday by a wren that had foraged its way into the tent and so I had to get up to let it out. The morning was bright with the sunshine backlighting the trees so that you could easily see anything that moved. As we were having breakfast we were treated to some red deer ambling past, about 40 feet from us. I think they got a shock when they realised they were so close to us and bolted off into the woods. We also had an active little colony of red squirrels and as we had put up some bird feeders, we had great fun watching great tits, chaffinches and robins get stuck in. A great day, spent doing not much else :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE