How to make a Soup can forge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've seen (and made) a few variations on the soup can forge, though they always use proper refractory materials for the lining.

I use clay and sand for solid fuel forges and I know that works, but I also use plaster mixes for casting bronze into. Never tried sand with the plaster (molochite is the stuff foundries suggested mixing for casting. I've a feeling that the plaster/sand will be a short lived lining and if you use anything bigger than a little torch then it will simply crumble away. :(

Still, its quick and cheap to make and works for small items too :) Most of the other small forges seen around use commercial refractory that most folk won't have sitting around (or buy from b&q).

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just downloaded that and subscribed to his channel, thanks. Got myself a spiral car spring the other week with delusions of one day using it to make a knife.

Do you think the bloke who made the video also does voice overs for film trailers? "They killed his family and his dog, now Jack is out for some payback."

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Dave,

so what do you reccomend for a linning that can be found in shops or salvaged?

Birthday Boy:camping:

unfortunately, there isn't much to be found unless you happen to have a potters' supply shop near you. The only forges that I have lined with materials other than kiln lining materials (such as soft/hard firebricks, ceramic fibre or castable refractory) have all been solid fuel forges, burning charcoal or coke.

The material in that case has been clay with sand and/or straw mixed into it, though I have also used a clay and wood ash mix too once or twice. These mixes would work for gas forges too I should think. The trouble with the mix the chap i the vid uses is the plaster, it just isn't refractory enough to last. Bronze castings are often made into plaster moulds, but the plaster is mixed with molochite to allow it to stand the 1200C, and even then it only lasts a couple of castings.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Very interesting I have been looking for something like this for a while. Time to scrunt for some decent lining.

Thanks for sharing

atb

Craig

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i know a few folk who have them, but I've not used one myself (there is no chance of running one on my power supply). They are used in indutrial applications well and I know some people use them for strange messings about.

Have a search on http://www.iforgeiron.com/ there have been some discussions on induction forges and their use, both commercially available and home built

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE