How to encourage diversity in bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
It is interesting how woke started out as a term of encouragement to be better and became a thoughtless insult aimed by the mean-spirited at young people doing their best to be decent. :) It's odd, especially given that usually vinegary old sacks of my generation are to be found peeving on about the thoughtlessness of youth.

About cars ... I remember once sitting in a carpark with a medium-sized bunch of friends, nattering. A guy came over and asked me to help with his car. Even today I am unsure how to operate the petrol cap. The girl sitting next to me had a HGV license.

Last edited:

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
I read it as prepper pig, but we don’t talk about that here. ;)

I think it’s one and the same, banned in my household. If there was a Prepper Pig though...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I thought woke was just a small-minded insult aimed by the mean-spirited at people doing their best to be decent.
I have been claimed to be as anti woke as possible and then in the meaning "Woke' is increasingly used as a byword for social awareness". One cannot apparently be woke if not screaming about some imaginary misjustice.

I have been following this discussion about diversity in BC with interest and all the time wondering how culturally depending thing a phenomenon like this might be. #1 son who is a social psychologist probably would answer that everything is culturally dependent, from his point of view it might but the answer is a non_answer as it does not give any new insight. Have to actually ask him.

My experience here is that not very but of course as I am an almost old white male nobody is going to ask me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I worked with a group of refugee women who had been so traumatised that the sight of a man in uniform had them literally wetting themselves.
Now admitedly that is an extreme example, but safe spaces are no joke.

• Wow
Reactions: Herman30

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Call it what you like, you sound just like those fellas on the course.
Yes, I left some detail out, or the post would have gone on for ever, but it's quite true.
As you were not there, I dont think you can call BS. But I'm willing to let you try and prove it.
This is typical of the attitude I had then. I did think things might have improved.
Yes I can do mechanics, I have rebuilt engines many times they worked afterwards, and I didn't have any spare bits left over either.
Basic principle, simply put,
1, Engine not firing
2, Check spark plug for spark, no spark, replace plug. If still no spark it's likely the HT lead.
3, Good spark, ? check carb,
4, No fuel comming through check fuel tank. Full of fuel, ? check fuel line.
Possible problems are blockage, pump malfunction(depending on vehicle) or disconnect.
The problem was a disconnect.
Ergo, fix that, and engine fires after pumping through some fuel and that's very simply it in a nutshell.
Basic mechanics.
And from where I was sat on the ground I could see the fuel leaking and the fuel pipe hanging down, so it wasnt a hard deduction as to the problem
There’s always a jar full of bolts left over when you put an engine back in & it never seems to make any difference?
Can’t beat a woman who showers in turps & degreaser!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I was making a joke. Do I have to explain that these days?

I have difficulty enough with jokes as it is.
Add to that not writing in your native language (that also belongs to a very different group) and you might understand the problems we foreigners have with English jokes. I don't think I have met Peppa pig before so WG's exclamation just was not understandable. Not to say catching the connotations on Peppa. Sanscrit.

Reactions: Erbswurst and CLEM

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There’s always a jar full of bolts left over when you put an engine back in & it never seems to make any difference?
Can’t beat a woman who showers in turps & degreaser!

Thank you henchy3rd, I'll take that as a compliment, but I still wonder why youd end up with nuts and bolts left over. That is slightly worrisome!
I think I'll stick to doing my own mechanics thank you! :)
The last mechanic that left critical nuts and bolts out , and decided the job was done, nearly killed me!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I don't think I have met Peppa pig before .
Pipsa Possu in finnish tv.

Reactions: Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Ah, I see, amazing how, "you are talking bs" becomes "oh I was being humourous" when picked up on what reads quite obviously as something less than humourous.
I've had that defence so many times and quite frankly, I dont believe it anymore.
At least I said sorry if anyone thought I was being snappy, but never a "sorry I obviosly upset you."
Once again it's me that's at fault for not understanding what you all see as a bit of fun with a remark that you obviosly do not understand to a woman is insulting, and putting down hard won knowledge. Exactly the attitude as has been spoken of about women plumbers earlier on, and a thin defence.
It's not my fault if you find engines difficult to work on and like to make life difficult for yourself by assuming a more complicated problem before ruling out the simple stuff.
Logic isn't just a male domain, and yes I to would have assumed that a problem such as I described would have been obvious , and it was, which was why I managed to solve it, while the lads were all clustered under the bonnet trying to solve the problem with their assumption that it was a more difficult problem, exactly as you have said.which was why I was sitting by the side of the Landi left out, rather than included , and noticed what the more "expert "chaps had not.
Now you have the point I was trying to make.
Male assumption that women cant think logically, or know how to mend engines as it's too complicated for their poor little brains, who only know about nail polish and high heeled shoes.!!!!
Then I get ..that's bs..and I'm supposed to instinctively know it's just humourous jesting!!!!!!
That's what I call unconscious bias,
Or in other words BS!
I wasnt angry before, just weary,
Now I am angry. Or more properly , I'm disappointed that once again I'm assumed to be angry when I wasnt, which does make me angry.
At least I put a smile face on my last post to signify I wasnt being angry, which seems to have gone over people's heads.
I did want to put this to bed, but no, its dragged on with platitudes to try and diffuse a conversation, which you assumed was an attack which it realy wasnt.
I make no apologies this time.
Now you can all go back to your back patting conversation about inclusion and diversity hopefully with a better understanding where some of you make mistakes .

I am not backpedaling, my original post had a grinning smiley in it to indicate it was meant in a light hearted way.

my whole comment was meant light heartedly, it was certainly not meant with any malice at all.

however, nothing I can say will convince you of that. So I am out. I have placed you on ignore because quite frankly I can’t be bothered to argue with strangers on the internet.

Ignoring someone on the internet is the equivalent of walking out of a room to remove oneself from a situation.

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If I can throw a my two pence into the mix... Is it diversity in bushcraft that’s needed or diversity in the ethos of bushcraft? One of the reasons I teach outdoor education and enjoy it so much is I am able to introduce people to wild places and the flora and fauna that it holds. A great quote I heard once was “people protect what they love”. So the more people we encourage to fall in love with the natural environment the better chance we have of protecting it no?

If we invite people into the outdoors and encourage them to use the ethos that bushcraft holds (leave no trace etc) without evangelising “bushcraft” of course, then surely this will be a benefit. The diversity of that would speak for its self would it not?

Like WG has said if people show an interest they will come, the difficulty is how to raise awareness and “diversify” to those who’s culture/ethnicity/social status etc may not get the opportunity to explore wild places without seeming like the Jehovah’s witnesses.. :dunno:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just thought Mr Ed was making a joke about Landrovers being...erm...a bit...erm...crap.

Not a joke... a fact.
Obviously mr ed knows hes upset me, but instead of saying sorry, he just blocks me.
How mature.
Its doesn't matter that he thinks he said it in jest, sometimes what people say upsets others, no matter how its said, and if I do that I always say sorry, because I genuinely dont want to upset anyone, I dont say, oh it's just a bit of banter, get over it.
No wonder there are not many women on this site.
Mr ed doesn't have the grace to apologise, and and feels that I should just take a stupid remark on the chin and shut up about it.
I'm done here. I've not been reduced to tears for many years, but congrats everyone, it's happened.
I dont want to play the sympathy card, but I've gone through all this on my own for a year, isolating as much as I can, been ill several times, and ended up in hospital more than once, which was extremely scary.
I'm still dealing with the loss of my son, and partner alone with no support, and yes I'm feeling fragile right now.
I try very hard not to let things get on top of me, and stay cheerful and not ask for sympathy, and I'm not asking now. I know I'm not alone in having a rough time.
But I've just come to the end of my piece of string.
I used to enjoy this site, but I dont anymore.
So I will leave you all alone to be what you want to be without having to cope with someone who tried hard, but didn't make the cut.
Have fun. Goodbye.

Last edited:

IrishmanInNY

Jan 22, 2021
New York
Not a joke... a fact.
Obviously mr ed knows hes upset me, but instead of saying sorry, he just blocks me.
How mature.
Its doesn't matter that he thinks he said it in jest, sometimes what people say upsets others, no matter how its said, and if I do that I always say sorry, because I genuinely dont want to upset anyone, I dont say, oh it's just a bit of banter, get over it.
No wonder there are not many women on this site.
Mr ed doesn't have the grace to apologise, and and feels that I should just take a stupid remark on the chin and shut up about it.
I'm done here. I've not been reduced to tears for many years, but congrats everyone, it's happened.
I dont want to play the sympathy card, but I've gone through all this on my own for a year, isolating as much as I can, been ill several times, and ended up in hospital more than once, which was extremely scary.
I'm still dealing with the loss of my son, and partner alone with no support, and yes I'm feeling fragile right now.
I try very hard not to let things get on top of me, and stay cheerful and not ask for sympathy, and I'm not asking now.
But I've just come to the end of my piece of string.
I used to enjoy this site, but I dont anymore.
So I will leave you all alone to be what you want to be without having to cope with someone who tried hard, but didn't make the cut.
Have fun. Goodbye.

it seems like Mr Ed was just joking and probably didn’t know anything about your personal life, although it does sound very sad. Keep going!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
That’s a loss regarding Woody girl, hope she comes back.
Always came across as a genuine person who made me smile as I’m sure she did you.

May I just say..The Topic title it’s self singles people out from the beginning.
Remember the Comment I wrote earlier about acceptance of who we are & respect for others.
This is what happens when tongues start wagging regarding race, sex & gender or disabilities, it’s inevitable.
In the simplest of form, just treat people as an individual regardless.
We all have one thing in common, the outdoors. so it doesn’t matter who or what we are, we’re all unique, with ideas & thoughts to share.
I hope it’s gave a pause for thought?
Good night & blessed be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE