How to determine the best way to choose the right rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I remember having a rucsack dilemma about 15 years ago. In the end, I bit the bullet and bought a MacPac. Very expensive, but what a pack! Still going strong after all this time. Not much (serious) use the past few years but was well used for almost 10. I chose it over a Karrimor because when I loaded it up in the shop, it suited my back better. It's 65l but I use it as a day pack too, just packed with less gear.

If you are packing a tent, (4 season) sleeping bag, food, waterproofs, fuel, cookset, spare socks etc. I doubt you'd get it into a 45l pack. There is nothing worse than lugging an overstuffed sack around - it leads to poor packing and this will dog you if you plan to do some serious legwork (miles), even worse if you intend to bash the fells for 3 days.

Get to a shop and try some out. Packs are like footwear, you need to try them on first, especially big ones for backpacking. It's your back you have to think about. Not all packs and their shoulder straps and hip belts are made equal - alas. Don't be afraid to buy the one that fits rather than the one you want. I did and have never regretted it.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi guys,

Thanks for the wise advices. I've tried today two Lowe Alpine rucksacks:

Cerro Torre 65:85 which weights 2,850 kgs :(.

prod_1267697463.jpg

and the Kongur 65:75 which weights only 1,770 kgs.
prod_1332153452.jpg

To be honest, I think the Kongur will be more than enough.

I'll try to go to the store with the tent + sleeping bag + mattress to get a better idea.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd forgotten you continentals used commas where we use decimal points! Made for some heavy rucksacks!

I'll be interested to see what you choose - we'll see it at the next meet, I expect

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hemdale, you mention Broadstone Warren, are you in scouting? If so (or even if not) go to your nearest Cotswold Outdoors and they'll show you how to pick the correct rucksack (and how to fit one properly), once you know how to do that, that's half the battle. You can even take it a step further and take your gear there and quite literally tell them: "This is what i have, find me the best bag for it" and they'll come up trumps......then hit the net to look for similar stuff and go from there.

Agree. Better to spend a little bit extra and get something that fits and is fit for purpose than buy numerous, cheaper packs and possibly never find the one that suits you best.

Regardless of the flaming I'm about to get, if you intend to do a lot of backpacking, steer away from military bags - they are generally designed for use with belt kit and, as such, tend to put the weight onto your shoulders rather than your waist/hips. If you are carrying small loads a long way, or large loads over a short distance - probably not a problem.

I would suggest that you go for a single-chamber bag (i.e., one big internal space) as it reduces weight, number of zips to break, and is more flexible.

Other than that, try before you buy - you will not get a feeling for personal fit and comfort until you put something on with an appropriate amount of weight in it.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
And with its adjustable back length you have none of the usual problems with military packs! it sits perfectly in the right place with belt on hips not round middle...

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
After several days spent on learning and trying as many rucksacks as a human being could do :lmao:, I've found out that the Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre was (really) way too heavy and the Kongur not quite convenient to use.

I gave Osprey a try: loved their bags but my back just doesn't fit them. :(
Tried also Gregory bags: very nice and well designed bags but not quite exactly what I was looking for.

Just thought that searching for a rucksack would be something like a Templar crusade against sales persons: "this one fits you perfectly" :bluThinki
So I decided to buy nothing less that 5 bags in the past 7 days :dancer: and give them a try at home, fully loaded with my exact gear.
Walking in my flat every evening with a 12 kgs rucksack was a hell of a job and trying every combination wasn't easy. :crutch:
Now I've returned all the bags.

I'll come to Broadstone with a generic bag, that will work.

:ban:

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Intrigued to know what you found wrong with the Kongur. I haven't tried that model myself, but I have an earlier LA expedition bag. Yes, it is heavy, but so comfortable that I can stand the extra two pounds if I have a long way to go

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
Hi PDA, I've found the front opening to be relatively small and quite stiff. I went for the ArcTeryx "U shaped" zipper which is a HUGE front opening ;) as probably (in my opinion) as comfortable as the LA.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Interesting. being an iconoclastic grumpy old man, I don't feel comfortable with front opening, preferring top loading in general. On the other hand, do like the "sleeping bag compartment" at the bottom of modern packs. Again my conservative thinking rules that zips are a potential failure point, so the fewer the better. My go to, lightweight, summer pack, 60 litre REI Flash 60, has zero zips (saves weight also) My Lowe Alpine is a COntour III which as a 70+15 for winter use and has just one zipper for the SB compartment. I even have a vintage P42 bergen with no zips, leather straps and steel buckles (even has a steel frame!) and is made from some kind of cotton canvas. That was "standard issue" when I was involved, so I only keep it for sentimental reasons.

For me, the most important characteristics are fit and comfortable carry. Old shoulders just cannot carry significant weight for any time. So convenience of packing comes very low on the test score for me.

Looks like you are putting together some really nice kit. Hope you enjoy the use of it for years to come.

What are you intending to do for a stove and cookwear?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE