Another rucksack recommendation request - commuting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I am looking for a cheap, compartment based rucksack for mixed mode work commuting. Low cost essential. I'll be using train with short bike ride.

I figure some surplus sacks might suit but if not the laptop type bag might be good. I just can't find anything quite right cheap enough. I need pockets / compartments to separate various things like lunch/flask from work planner, pens/ stationery, phones, hard drive and waterproofs

Anyone got a suggestion?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I am looking for a cheap, compartment based rucksack for mixed mode work commuting. Low cost essential. I'll be using train with short bike ride.

I figure some surplus sacks might suit but if not the laptop type bag might be good. I just can't find anything quite right cheap enough. I need pockets / compartments to separate various things like lunch/flask from work planner, pens/ stationery, phones, hard drive and waterproofs

Anyone got a suggestion?
What do you call cheap?

I have a passenger rucksack that I got for £50 off their website about three years ago. They don't make the model anymore it seems, but it was well worth the cost. If you're concerned about the construction materials or build quality, as a measure I drove over my rucksack once (don't ask.... ) and dragged it down a gravel and concrete farm track for about 100m. My laptop was destroyed but the rucksack, after a quick dust off, was as good as new. I still use it.

They're functional, smart for the commute and discreet enough for EDC if that's a consideration for you.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Have a look at secondhand photo bags such as those by crumpler .They come with dividers (usually) and you should be able to reconfigure internally to suit as velcro attached and can have a laptop compartment.Can be either rucksack style or messenger bag type (see pics for examples).
Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4047.jpeg
    IMG_4047.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4049.jpeg
    IMG_4049.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
One of these might fit the bill Paul

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex

Anyone got a suggestion?
Local charity shops ? Some commuter peeps are a bit pretentious/self conscious and will change their sac if it gets a little tired looking. I picked up a regatta 45 survivor for £3.50 a few weeks back, got a built under rain cover too for when that back wheel spits at you in the rain, a couple of internal pockets and 4 outside too. Id start with Facechops marketplace or ebay if you draw a charity shop blank

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oxfam Keswick used to be good for quality outdoor kit. I once saw a nearly new 8000m down suit with many an everest summit attempt left in it for possibly one less digit in price! Not sure it's as good now. Not sure when I can next get up there.

Thanks very much for the ideas everyone. A bit of thinking to be done while I save up a little bit more free cash. I think I might just struggle on with one of my old rucksacks and perhaps spend an bit more to get better. Like the Jackson and Cole bag.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
I have a Deuter Giga Office, which is the variant with a dedicated laptop compartment. Deuter Gigant looks very similar to this, maybe that's the new version? Anyway, these are super cheap to be had second-hand and so far it's been very durable and comfortable.

It has a chest strap, but no belly strap. This seems about right for an urban backpack, though I use it for hiking.

Compared to this picture, mine has larger side compartments so I can fit a bottle in there, and no belly strap.

LGguiTC.jpg

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Yeah I think there's several versions of these out and about. Also, here in Germany the Giga is used a lot as a study and school backpack so there's lots of turnaround on the second-hand market. I think I paid 15€.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE