How to build a nuclear fallout bunker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
shrek-smiley.gif

About 3 minutes......

Hahaha like the shrek smiley. :)

... And don't forget the 22 miles of duct tape to seal all our doors and windows. :D

If it somehow did happen, I'd think I'd just run toward it, make sure the job got gone done quicker.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Duct tape - is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it probably holds the universe together :)

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Spam your description of protect & survive is brilliant! :You_Rock_
As a young cop in 1972 I was told I would be issued with a stirrup pump to put out fires and a horse. What could a big city boy do with one of those while he had radiation sickness?

Guys, I don't think those fancy American underground shelters would stand up to all our floods. Imagine all those rations getting soggy.:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Have we exploded yet?
G:burnout:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spam your description of protect & survive is brilliant! :You_Rock_
As a young cop in 1972 I was told I would be issued with a stirrup pump to put out fires and a horse. What could a big city boy do with one of those while he had radiation sickness?:

Erm - what was the horse for?

To get out of Dodge????

Red

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Red, They told us we would be organised into mounted columns if we survived. The stirrup pumps were vintage WW2, for use with small buckets.:rolleyes:

Luckily instructions were re written some years later, and they are much more professional and a touch more believable too.
Great thread,
G

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Apparently LoSalt contains some Potassium-40, which is radioactive, and doesn't stop being radioactive just because it is joined to Chlorine in Potassium Chloride.

Nearly everything is radioactive. Potassium contains radioactive isotopes, so anything with normal potassium in them will be radioactive. For example bananas are radioactive as they contain potassium.
People are radioactive too.

For a serious shelter, I'd dig a really deep tunnel, probably underneath your house if possible and safe. Then, I'd line it with lead and any other metals. Lots of lead. If you could get 3' of lead that would be pretty good, but impractical. Then just block the tunnel with a good door and more lead.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Nearly everything is radioactive. Potassium contains radioactive isotopes, so anything with normal potassium in them will be radioactive. For example bananas are radioactive as they contain potassium.

Ah well, people and bananas have some potassium where as lo salt has lots. It registers on my not very sensitive beta counter.

For a serious shelter, I'd dig a really deep tunnel, probably underneath your house if possible and safe. Then, I'd line it with lead and any other metals. Lots of lead. If you could get 3' of lead that would be pretty good, but impractical. Then just block the tunnel with a good door and more lead.
Then just make sure you don't put any people, food, smoke detectors or anything else that's radioactive in there. :p Haha!

Ok, so the rest are less damaging that a multi megaton blast and the fallout that comes with it - but that's beside the point. Haha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE