How to adjust a rucksack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have several and aim to get rid of a few. This means I am testing them to find out which is best for me.

Obviously this depends on how they are adjusted!

What do you do?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Somebody more knowledgable than me will probably be along with the ultimate guide just now, but here's how I've been doing it, successfuly, for years; thinkk of filling the volume of the pack, and aim to get a fair but not heavy weight into it, hoist it aboard and get the shoulder straps adjusted so it fits your back and the hip-belt sits comfortably over the hips, where it will be able to perform it's function of transferring some of the load down through the lower body. Fasten the hip-belt as tight as is comfortable to perform it's function, and when this is satisfactory adjust the suspension syraps to get the load as close to the body as possible.

It's important to load the sack properly for any of this to work, and there's a good sticky on here to clarify this........................hope this is helpfull. atb cake.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Kifaru do a good video on how to adjust one of their packs to fit. I would assume its not that different for any other similar bag. Its tucked away on their youtube channel and worth a watch.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
IIRC it goes adjust waist belt, adjust shoulder straps, adjust sternum strap and finally load lifters. Try and get as much weight on the hip belt as possible, beyond that it just needs to be comfortable :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Only thing with the video, when she turns at the end you can see that the back length is to long for her. She didn't adjust that properly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Can't do the belt & pack together, either.............I've got a flat-buckled lightweight webbing belt that lives in the pack and goes on when it does.....................

Papa Tac

Jul 13, 2012
Codroy Valley, NL, Canada
My friend and I were helping a well-endowed friend with her pack, and told her to bounce the pack and tug the straps.
We had her bouncing and tugging over and over to get it just right...
She caught on only after we'd had an eyeful.
Got to love strategically-placed sternum straps on the right woman...

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
My friend and I were helping a well-endowed friend with her pack, and told her to bounce the pack and tug the straps.
We had her bouncing and tugging over and over to get it just right...
She caught on only after we'd had an eyeful.
Got to love strategically-placed sternum straps on the right woman...

That is truly gross

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE