How thick a branch can you snap

• Thread starter Deleted member 56522
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56522

A simple question, but perhaps not a simple answer:

How thick a branch can you break without tools?

And, what technique do you use?

D

Deleted member 56522

Depends on so many things but favourite method for prepping long dry branches for a fire is in the crook of a tree so you can lean all your weight into it.
Just tried a freshly cut piece of birch branch. I imagined I could break big bits because I've done enormous dried branches before, but I found the best I could do is a 30mm bit held in the hands. I could bend, and snap it, but breaking as a "Greenstick" I then had to twist it to completely to detach the two parts. I couldn't bend a 35mm bit that way, instead I had to put it over my knee. Jumping on it proved less effective than I thought ... because being green it just gave way and then bounced back.

I imagine birch isn't that strong. Anyone got an oak branch they care trying?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie1956

Nov 19, 2020
East Anglia
I've never really thought about this. Small dry twigs and thin branches I'll snap with my hands...when they're too thick do do that I'll pull them against my knee...anything too thick for that goes in the tree crook.

If it's green I saw or chop it.

D

Deleted member 56522

I've never really thought about this. Small dry twigs and thin branches I'll snap with my hands...when they're too thick do do that I'll pull them against my knee...anything too thick for that goes in the tree crook.

If it's green I saw or chop it.
I think my favourite technique is the "karate chop" down with the feet. If you have the confidence it works really well, but if you pick too big a bit, or aren't fully committed it doesn't work and the wood hits back - although never done a serious injury. A single axe blow to create a weak point and it is surprising how big the wood that can be broken.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the tree....and whether it's alive or dead.

Elder you can crack off huge great branches fairly easily (thus all the superstitions about 'asking' the tree/crone first) but hornbeam ? forget it.

If it's a dry summer I wouldn't try to take a branch off a beech tree either, it's inclined to drop entire limbs on you.

D

Deleted member 56522

Isn't it odd, that no one ever measures the size of sticks that they can break, despite most of us knowing what we can break, and despite us breaking sticks since before coming down from the trees. It is almost as if there still exists in us, that primitive mind that existed before any even thought about modern concepts like measurement.

Reactions: Danqrl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well it's like the universal 'dod'.
A dod of what ? we all know the relevent size of such, regardless of whether it's cream, pudding, bread, mud or concrete :)
But try finding any online dictionary definition of it...... :dunno:

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Well it's like the universal 'dod'.
A dod of what ? we all know the relevent size of such, regardless of whether it's cream, pudding, bread, mud or concrete :)
But try finding any online dictionary definition of it...... :dunno:
Whats a dod!??

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmm ... I only break the small twigs with hands. Larger ones I either subject to a yogogeri when leaning or hit to a back of a sharp stone. Max to about 7 cm dia on dry pine branches.

D

Deleted member 56522

Hmm ... I only break the small twigs with hands. Larger ones I either subject to a yogogeri when leaning or hit to a back of a sharp stone. Max to about 7 cm dia on dry pine branches.
Interesting. The biggest I've ever broken by hand, has been probably about 12cm ... old and probably rotted but still will a lot of its strength. The basic technique is similar to the hitting on a stone, except you swing it around in a circle as fast as you can and hit it onto a tree where you want it to break. It's a great technique as you're using the heavy weight of the branch to do the breaking, so it works better the bigger the branch.

If it breaks, there's a hugely satisfying "THWack" and the end goes flying off through the wood. But if it doesn't break, the whole branch of wood bends and then bounces back at you with possible injury. So, I think the advanced technique is to let it go just before it hits to avoid possible bounce back.

Reactions: Coach

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Interesting. The biggest I've ever broken by hand, has been probably about 12cm ... old and probably rotted but still will a lot of its strength. The basic technique is similar to the hitting on a stone, except you swing it around in a circle as fast as you can and hit it onto a tree where you want it to break. It's a great technique as you're using the heavy weight of the branch to do the breaking, so it works better the bigger the branch.

If it breaks, there's a hugely satisfying "THWack" and the end goes flying off through the wood. But if it doesn't break, the whole branch of wood bends and then bounces back at you with possible injury. So, I think the advanced technique is to let it go just before it hits to avoid possible bounce back.
I find a strident "Banzaiiii" helps:thumbsup:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm lazy. I'll build a really good twig and small branch fire. Then I lay the big stuff in their middles on top. As they burn through, I push them into the fire pile. "Star Fire."

Reactions: Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE