How the Wild West was won with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
... Seemed disjointed to me, like the script for the voice-over had been written on the back of a beer mat, and glossed over a lot of stuff that could have been of interest for the sake of general interest/production time...

Saying that i'll watch the next one :)

All in all I enjoyed the first episode. But I wonder if the program was a bit too ambitious. I wanted more "meat" from several places he highlighted. I think I would enjoy more episodes that covered fewer subjects, but in more detail. I felt a lot of the information was superficial.

Ray spoke of the hardship of spending a winter in the Sierras. But he did not mention the amazing feat of getting the wagons over them. I spent a week exploring the area around Donner Pass and there were two places from my trip I remember vividly. One was a pass that was so steep the Stephens Party (successfully pioneered the route before the Donner Party) had to disassemble their wagons and carry them to the top piece-by-piece. It must have been backbreaking effort. The second was a pass where the pioneers were able to winch their wagons up a pitch that was mind boggling steep. Both illustrated how determined, independent, and intrepid the pioneers were.

So, I would have preferred more focus and detail. The amazing terrain, flora, and fauna of the Sierras could easily fill an entire episode. But I will eagerly watch his future shows. :)

- Woodsorrel

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All in all I enjoyed the first episode. But I wonder if the program was a bit too ambitious. I wanted more "meat" from several places he highlighted. I think I would enjoy more episodes that covered fewer subjects, but in more detail. I felt a lot of the information was superficial.

Ray spoke of the hardship of spending a winter in the Sierras. But he did not mention the amazing feat of getting the wagons over them. I spent a week exploring the area around Donner Pass and there were two places from my trip I remember vividly. One was a pass that was so steep the Stephens Party (successfully pioneered the route before the Donner Party) had to disassemble their wagons and carry them to the top piece-by-piece. It must have been backbreaking effort. The second was a pass where the pioneers were able to winch their wagons up a pitch that was mind boggling steep. Both illustrated how determined, independent, and intrepid the pioneers were.

So, I would have preferred more focus and detail. The amazing terrain, flora, and fauna of the Sierras could easily fill an entire episode. But I will eagerly watch his future shows. :)

- Woodsorrel

Woodsorrel. What channel are you getting it on? I haven't seen it advertised over here.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Santaman, its been uploaded to Youtube, search "how the wild west was won Ray Mears". Of course if you're not on unlimited download I guess it will cost you, sorry. The Youtube seems to play OK from the USA, which iPlayer doesn't.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, its been uploaded to Youtube, search "how the wild west was won Ray Mears". Of course if you're not on unlimited download I guess it will cost you, sorry. The Youtube seems to play OK from the USA, which iPlayer doesn't.

Thanks. Yeah, iplayer doesn't work here.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny

- Woodsorrel

Sorry mate, i've only just seen your post!

I don't know the subjecy matter particularly well, and nowhere near your level, but yep, I got the impression that the BBC and Ray through their own volition, provided they wanted to, could have done an authorative and educational series on each of the mountain ranges, and i'm disappointed (although not surprised) that they didn't at least strive to do that, and we're left with an episode that I believe is inefficient in itself through lack of focus, camera time wasted on shots of RM (we know who he is after one establishing shot) that could have related other visual information, and part devoted to RM's popular-historicism which glossed over complex reasons for migration. I also thought the editing in parts seemed suspect.
Like I said, I'll watch the next ones, however, it does seem like yet another opportunity lost by the BBC.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I'll be watching it closely. I lived in Colorado for 20 years and have spent a great of time outdoors, either fishing, camping, rafting, or four-wheeling. It's beautiful country, certainly, but can be dangerous if you're caught someplace remote without a backup plan.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Have you been to Bushmoot? Ray's current stature makes him look like Bushcrafts slimmer of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So very true!
Bushcrafters take XL - anything less is not thriving in the wilderness (or just passing through like the Super Lightweight Backpacking Brigade :) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE