How round a butt ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
For everyone that's posted a new knife or a new wooden spoon, one of my (square-butted) bokken attempts.

DSCF2955.JPG

I snapped it myself, before it took someone's eye out in the dojo. I got the piece of ash from a mate, and there was one knot I couldn't avoid.

Nice looking bokken, makes a change from the red oak. Unusual to see you've built the tsuba into it. I know a lot of the Aiki followers tend to remove theirs.

I use the plastic and rubber tsuba on mine, too many skinned and rapped knuckles over the years.

I've just retired my white oak bokken after 20 odd years as it was sounding "hollow" on contact, so I fear there may be a crack/split developing inside.

Good piece of work that bokken of yours, pity about the knot.

All the best,

Liam

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Unusual to see you've built the tsuba into it. I know a lot of the Aiki followers tend to remove theirs.

I'd always thought that removing the tsuba gives you unrealistic flexibility (I say "unrealistic" - don't take that to mean that I get into regular sword fights). But I also wanted to keep a memory of the original branch: earlier attempts retained the bark around the tsuba.

And I'm too tight to pay a tenner for a proper oak one - I'd rather spend weeks chipping away at something that I can then snap over my knee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE