How round a butt ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Following on from my open question about how far to drop the point of a 'bushcraft' knife, and with a doff of the cap to the 'knife handle encyclopedia', I would like to canvas the opinion of the experts of the shape of their butts.

Why is it angled / rounded / square / coffin-shaped ?

Beyond looks, is there a practical reason for these choices ? I haven't thought about it a great deal (otherwise I may not have been so impertinent as to ask the question), but all that I can come up with is:
- To fit the palm for a degree of guidance
- For spear battoning

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41554

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I would like to canvas the opinion of the experts of the shape of their butts.

Why is it angled / rounded / square / coffin-shaped ?

:lmao: :eek:

Right, well, that aside, it's all down to personal preference for me, and varies from knife to knife. I think I only have one knife where the butt would really fit the palm of the hand in anything resembling a comfortable way, but:

1) It's pretty rare I use a knife that way
2) My knife being uncomfortable once in a rather long while doesn't bother me

:D

To be honest though, none of my knives are particularly uncomfortable if used that way, they just weren't designed with that in mind.

Honestly I don't think many people design the butt of a knife to fit in the hand when boring holes; which, really, they should IMO if they're going to bother with a spear point. I may be completely wrong of course, it's an interesting question I've never heard asked before. I would expect that most knives are made to fit the hand in the primary grip, and the butt is to a large extent just tidied up, rather than "designed" with a set purpose. Now I think of it, knives with a bit of tang protruding from the butt must really hurt when boring holes... :eek:

Pete

PS: I know I'm not an expert, I just figured I'd give my opinion anyway :p

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In some parts of the forum, the fact that you have plural knives would make you an expert.
The fact that you've given a considered answer does it for me - thanks.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
No problem mate - I do have a few too many (just kidding!) knives, so I do, at least, know what I like and why - and honestly, I've never found enough need to bore holes to justify design features specifically geared towards it.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts? Do you prefer the 'screwdriver butt' or something different?

I imagine that battoning a knife point-first is an excellent reason to have a protruding tang from the butt, but I can't say I've ever felt the need to do that...

Pete

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts? Do you prefer the 'screwdriver butt' or something different?
For reasons I can't justify objectively, I'm drawn to the hook shape (there's probably a proper knifey term for it - or is a screwdriver butt something I'd rather deny ?).
Logic would appear to favour a butt line at right angles to the main axis; but given the huge variation in choices, there doesn't appear to be a particularly strong design-driver.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like some of my butts well rounded:

DSCN1068.jpg

DSCN1068.jpg

These two are carving knives. If you are going to use a knife a lot for carving, then, for me at least, a round butt is the way to go, it's easier on the hand, easier to move the knife around in the hand to carve. If I was to change anything, it would be to make stick tangs and a rounded handle with no metal parts, because even when well sanded and polished, you can still feel the full tang and lanyard tube and that could cause rubbing and blisters.

Some of the first knives I have made had rounded handles, again with the idea that its more comfortable to use.

DSCN0187.jpg

DSCN0182.jpg

And some of the favourite knives I have made, Nessmuks, have rounded handles and butts!

DSCN0183.jpg

As usual, I think it depends on what you do with your knife. If you do a lots of carving, then round handle is more practical and comfy. If your knife is an all round type of knife then other types of handle could be used.

And if the only knife you've got when in the middle of nowhere has a square handle, well then, that's the best handle in the world!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
horse riding, and cycling makes for the firmest buttocks on the planet. trust me.
as for knives? i know not ;)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
For reasons I can't justify objectively, I'm drawn to the hook shape (there's probably a proper knifey term for it - or is a screwdriver butt something I'd rather deny ?).
Logic would appear to favour a butt line at right angles to the main axis; but given the huge variation in choices, there doesn't appear to be a particularly strong design-driver.

Do you mean like the Woodlore knife? I can see why people like it, though I'm not a fan of it myself. I do find that what I think of as the perfect butt (grow up folks :p ) varies according to the rest of the knife handle, so perhaps my tastes are more to do with aesthetics than function - as long as it doesn't sacrifice function, of course. I don't think screwdriver butt is really a technical term, I just made it up for a butt designed to be comfy when you push down and turn :p

I disagree, though, the the butt line would logically be at right angles to the axis; in my mind, the back of the handle should always be longer than the front, if yknow what I mean, just because the pinky is a good 1.5cm or so higher than the bottom of the hand when holding the knife - again, if yknow what I mean. I just find it provides a more secure grip. I tried the Enzo handle shape on the kit I just recently bought and find I'm really getting along with it:

enzo1.jpg

Jojo - with that style, full tang with the slight guard, I definitely think that the rounded butt looks great, and I can definitely see it being good on a carving knife. I'm not so sure I'd like it on a stick tang, though I'm sure it would still be very functional. I could also see a rounded butt with a fairly large swell making a great kitchen knife handle, so you could have a fairly loose and far-back grip and it would sorta swivel in your palm. May need to try that out :) I do like your knives a lot though, so it's rather curious I've never tried a handle in a similar style.

Pete

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I go more for the "bird's head" style butt style, which offers great security of grip even when you use it with an "extended" grip.
If you know what I mean....
Feb27756.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
MUST RESIST:lmao: ,

Seriously though how often does your hand come in contact with the "butt" of the knife in every day use? I think as long as there are no sharp edges that will cause blisters where hand meets handle its just down to asthetics. The only exception being a square capable pommel for actually hitting the butt of the knife to drive it into an object.

Asthetics wise i like a nice rounded butt :rolleyes:

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I go more for the "bird's head" style butt style, which offers great security of grip even when you use it with an "extended" grip.
If you know what I mean....
Feb27756.jpg

Thanks - you've given me proper objective reasons, beyond "just because", for preferring a bird's head when I grip my butt. Sic.
1. Hand shape
2. Security (not that I'm swinging it like a bill-book all that often)
3. Rounded end, should it be required

Sincerest thanks,

Finbar Saunders

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
For everyone that's posted a new knife or a new wooden spoon, one of my (square-butted) bokken attempts.

DSCF2955.JPG

I snapped it myself, before it took someone's eye out in the dojo. I got the piece of ash from a mate, and there was one knot I couldn't avoid.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
If you use chest lever grip and fine knife control up on your chest, then the rounded contouring is a must or else you'll develop pains where the handle digs into your chest.

bisto

Need to contact Admin...
i like a birds head butt with a slight flare so my little finger can wrap round it.

theres a slight difference in the hand fitting the handle as opposed to the handle fitting the hand.

id say a rounded butt is one way and the more moulded belly and birds head is the other.
DSC06495.jpg

heres one i made with the more moulded handle.the way i prefer them.

im a joiner by trade though and wouldnt have anything but a rounded handle on my chisels.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE