How much is too much for a newbie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Hello BCUK

Long time lurker here, going about putting together the first proper kit for going into the woods.

Already have the boots, rucksack, clothes, head torch and nalgenes + camelbak.

What I am contemplating at the moment is the following kit:

Rules:
Budget at the moment would is around 200-250 pounds.

Things should ship internationally or I should be able to find them in Denmark

Shelter:
Sleeping bag - still on the fence about which one to go for
Dutch roll mat
Tarp of some sort - perhaps DD 3x3m? Would 3x4,5 be better for the added room?
Perhaps a hammock for the sake of the experiment

Tools:
Mora Robust knife
Husquarna hatchet
Fallkniven DC4 sharpening stone
Bahco Laplander saw (necessary with axe and knife? - perhaps saw instead of axe?)

Fire:
Imco lighter
Light my fire army firesteel

Cooking:
Swedish army trangia
Perhaps a swiss volcano stove - love the idea of using only wood to cook on

Am I missing anything totally obvious?
EDIT: Besides the first aid kit, that is :)

Regards

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What would influence things a lot is what kind of trips are you likely to be doing?
For instance, if you are not doing that many miles then you can go for a cheaper military sleeping bag at a bigger weight cost. If you are going to be clocking up the miles and doing some hills i would spend more on a much lighter sleeping bag, and a tent rather than tarp.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
A fair question indeed.

My trips would be 2-3 days in the forest / on the plains with a moderate amount of walking daily (5-10 km).

I could see myself walking longer, but that would only be because of the challenging aspect of the walk, so a few extra kg's probably wouldn't bother me too much.

Also, season would be now, so the kit should have some winter-feasibilty.

Would you consider the list of kit that I've assembled in the first post to be excessive for a newbie? I know for sure, that some corners could be cut, but seeing as I'm spending money anyway, might aswell get something of good quality - that's a mantra I try to live by.

Regards

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello BCUK

Hello, and welcome!

... Am I missing anything totally obvious?

You need containers for water. Depending on circumstances you might also need some means of treating water to make it drinkable.

I know Denmark is an expensive place to live, but to me your budget sounds more than strictly necessary. :)

Apart from that, the best thing to do now is go somewhere not too far away and spend some time testing the kit.

I've been doing that for over fifty years, and I've nearly got it sorted now. :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not an expensive addition, but don't forget the cordage for the tarp.

Personally I find I use the laplander saw far more than I need an axe, but as Dwardo says it depends on what you do. Also consider a sleeping bag liner, and you will want a spoon to eat with, and a cup and/or bowl.

Other bits of kit that I find useful are a sit mat, a foldable groundsheet for wet or muddy ground, and a few stuff sacks or bags for putting kit in.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Ged:
Water is sorted - got nalgenes and a 3l camelbak at the moment.

Harvestman:
I also have quite a bit of paracord, so cordage shouldnt represent much of a problem either. Cutlery and bowl/plate - Ill make sure to snap that up. Groundsheet will be sourced too.

Thanks to all for the help so far. Please keep it coming :)

Regards

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What ever list we all gave you i bet most would be different.
Budget wise i would be looking for a good winter military synthetic bag. The UK one is brilliant and I have been good down to about -17. I would also add a military gortex bivy bag too.
Would not bother with an axe until later on, just added weight and cost at the min.
I would also like a small gas stove and a Billy can of some description for heating food and boiling water. Gas is reliable and quick when you want a quick brew. If permitted a fire will do the rest.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Torch is sorted also.

The Carinthia bags suggested to me will break the budget, sadly.

What do you think of the items that I describe in the first post? Sharps, firemaking, cooking supplies? Are they good for a beginner, or should I go for something else?

Regards

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Years ago I got the very best sleeping bag I could, I've never regretted it yet. A good nights sleep is worth a lot and as I sometimes camp out in the middle of winter I got a very warm winter bag. I can sleep with it unzipped if its too warm.

I have a Husqvarna hatchet which is nice and a good tool but I wouldn't want the weight of it all the time if I had to carry a few supplies as well.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
How's about a mountain hardware pinhole as your sleeping bag, look on go outdoors it should be about 40 quid

At
Ben

Sent using the force

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Torch is sorted also.

The Carinthia bags suggested to me will break the budget, sadly.

What do you think of the items that I describe in the first post? Sharps, firemaking, cooking supplies? Are they good for a beginner, or should I go for something else?

Regards

For the rucksack you should add a inner liner and a rucksack cover. The last thing you want are your stuff being wet...

For the other things I think you're OK for now. From time to time, if necessary, you may need upgrading your kit. Just don't overdo it. :)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I would suggest the DD XL tarp - especially if using it in winter :) gives a lot more pitching options from full open to a roomy enclosed space. The Nanok Endurance range of bags are great roomy bags, and the 0 deg fits over the -10 deg bag with no loss of inner space failing that the snugpak military range are a good two bag option - I now use these as I prefer the central zip!!!

Oh!!! and sorry, welcome :) Don't be affraid to ask - you will get some answers!!!!

Elen Sentier

Hello, and welcome!

You need containers for water. Depending on circumstances you might also need some means of treating water to make it drinkable.

I know Denmark is an expensive place to live, but to me your budget sounds more than strictly necessary. :)

Apart from that, the best thing to do now is go somewhere not too far away and spend some time testing the kit.

I've been doing that for over fifty years, and I've nearly got it sorted now. :)

That's most reassuring, ged. As I've only been getting it together for a couple of years there's obviously lots of scope for me yet :D

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
One US Army Modular Sleeping System has been bought, so now I'll see if Im really up to the task of lugging around a heavy sleeping system.

That leaves the tarp and sleeping mat until I've got the sleeping setup covered.

DavidJT: FAK, map and compass will be bought, of course :)

Knifefan: I was wondering about the 4,5x3m too - not sure if it's too much though. The 3x3 should be enough for one person, I think, but the extra room would be nice..

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
One US Army Modular Sleeping System has been bought, so now I'll see if Im really up to the task of lugging around a heavy sleeping system.

That should be fine for anything that Denmark is likely to throw at you. :)

FAK, map and compass will be bought, of course :)

And hopefully you'll know how to use them. :)

I was wondering about the 4,5x3m too - not sure if it's too much though. The 3x3 should be enough for one person, I think, but the extra room would be nice..

The 3x3 is big enough for me and my FJR1300 :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/bike_under_tarp.jpg

On my own I would find a 4.5x3 unwieldy for short camps, but for longer terms it might have something to offer. For either of them you might want to find a spot sheltered from the wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE