How much is too much for a newbie?

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
I'm going through a similar process at the moment being a newbie.

Won't get an axe just yet, I've bought a BCB wire saw as even a folding saw is a bit iffy with UK knife laws.

Definitely have some sort of backup stove in case your fire lighting skills let you down can't get much cheaper than a hexamine stove :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/british-army-hexamine-cooking-stove-/290800636539?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item43b511927b

The BCB Crusader cup fits in nicely and will also work for cooking on an open fire. Other option would be a Alpkit Ti Mug - that will slot outside a Nalgene trail bottle...

Fire steel - longer is easier to use, cotton wool with or without vaseline (petroleum jelly) works great with the fire steel. A little tin with some charred cloth(old jeans) and fire lighters and / or tea lights will increase your options.

Main thing is to go out for short trips and see what works for you and make sure you have a plan B if something new doesn't work out.

This guy has some interesting ideas on budget kit :-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAPNtca7RGQ&feature=relmfu

And BushcraftMyWay keeps things simple and fun :-
http://www.youtube.com/user/bushcraftmyway

Cheers
Bryan

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
On my own I would find a 4.5x3 unwieldy for short camps, but for longer terms it might have something to offer. For either of them you might want to find a spot sheltered from the wind.

I find the physical size of the XL and the 3x3 when in their stuff sacks not to dissimualar, yes may be the XL a tad larger, but that dont effect me, they will fit easly in a side pocket of a bergan, with room to spare...

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Hi there, just thought I would reiterate a few things people have said. Sleeping mat wise I have a Thermarest Neoair and I can highly recomend it. Packs down tiny and weighs nothing but very comfortable. Bit pricy but worth it IMO. A gortex bivi is a must but looks like you have that covered now (no pun intended). I would take a folding saw over an axe and take a decent knife. Tarp wise I use the British army issue basha in winter, find it gives me enough cover, very waterproof, but to be fair not the lightest thing in the world. As a general rule I'd say if in doubt leave it out. You'll survive!

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Just to update you on the purchases I've made so far.

The following has been bought:

US Army Modular Sleeping Bag
Mora Robust
Fallkniven DC4
Bahco Laplander
Light my fire Army firesteel
Imco 6700 triplex

As a bonus, Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook too.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Yet another order placed. This time for the following:

Folding cup (200+600ml)
Swedish Army Trangia
Can opener
Hip flask (important!)
First aid kit
Duct tape
Sewing kit
Small waterproof box for fire tools

Looks like I pretty much just need a sleeping mat and tarp before I'm ready to go :)

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Scots: Should have the FAK covered by now. Have quite a few big dressings here, so will throw a few of those in the FAK once it arrives.

Things are starting to arrive in the mail by now - so exciting :)

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Scots: Of course, but getting the gear in hand kind of supercedes the whole "getting out there".

However, I am indeed looking forward to getting a bit of fresh air :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE