How much faith in machines does it take to do this?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
how about a spring loaded arm that pulls the blade downwards instead of stopping it? using a similar mechanism to activate it, that way it wouldnt goose your saw every time! and could be reset each time

Dave

That's a top idea mate! Like that a lot.

As a safety feature its a good idea ,but as a joiner of 25 years i have seen all sorts of new gizmos come and go ,there is still no better safety feature than learning to use any machine properly and safely

Jason

Sounds like we had the same type of training. I'm also a carpenter joiner with 32 years under my belt and I still have all my fingers (touch wood) I think what made me sit up and pay attention was those horrific safety films they showed of accidents taking place on sites and in joiners shops. This before the era of the video nasty.

I agree, I've been brought up from an early age with the attitude that a circular saw is a weapon of mass destruction that is out to get you at all costs, and as soon as take your eye off it it will.

This attitude has served me well so far , today I use a band saw and chop saw more than a circular saw , but still apply the same principle.

I also use a table mounter router quite a lot, before changing the cutter I unplug it , then press the start switch !!!!.

REALLY Like those last 5 words. Good practice and habit to get into as well.

Thanks for the replies folks. Glad you weren't too overawed by the man's genius ideas. It IS clever, but not in the way I'd like it to be.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I would like to see one of those saws cut a wet slate batten/lath without self destructing before I would by one...

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic idea and massive respect to the bloke having THAT much faith in his design.

A bit like communism though, a fantastic idea completely let down by a small selection of the human race.

My bet is that if that device was implemented in mass quantities then people would become accustom to having it THAT safe, they remove guards and take liberties left right and centre.
It would then only need one defective sensor or one knob of a maintenance technician to not connect something correctly and "whuuumm" lost fingers.

My philosophy is think and prepare of the worst, you then tend to have a safety feature as back up, like having my car wheel under my axle stand under my jack.

I really really like the fact that the designer puts his digits on the line for his design though.
I think that should be taken on board throughout life.
The CEO's of McDonalds should HAVE to eat their wares daily.
Coke cola CEO's should HAVE to drink their wares daily.
A politician should HAVE to bet their entire financial security on keeping the promises they are voted in on.

Even better still IMO a politician should HAVE to stand side by side with the people he is sending into a war, in the exact same cost reduced equipment.

Ohh and banks should HAVE to pay out to their customers a large percentage of their profits, as it's these poor buggers that have made them all their money.

Sorry got a bit carried away there guys :dunno:
I just think it's very rare these days people put their money (or fingers) where their mouths are these days :(

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You're assuming they are trying to last longer... they'd rather you went out and bought a new car ;)

Henry Ford used to send his engineers out to local scrapyards to find old Ford Models that had been junked... if any components were found in the junked car that still looked good as new, Ford ordered his designers to reduce the quality. He reckoned there was no point designing an axle with a 20yr life at a cost of (e.g.) $100 if the rest of the car fell apart after 10yrs. Much better to spend $50 on the axle and accept it'll junk out at the same rate as the rest of the motor.
Not true, as in it's a myth.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Faith in machinery and technology,....hmm,..

i think its all relative,..

i wonder if the guy with the stone axe dismissed the guy with the "new fangled bronze one" ,...its the work of the devil !!!,..hahahaha

i,m neither a techo or a luddite,...i just accept that history is littered with a thousand times more failed designs than successful ones,...

i can contribute my experience of a phenomenon / phsycology with my front wheel bearings on the bike though,..

i,m from an engineering background and like to do all my own maintenance etc,...

i changed the front wheel bearings on my bad motor scooter once,...

and i noted how small they were, obviously they were rated well beyond the limits of what was needed to keep the front wheel on and turning ok,...

and my rational thoughts reflected this,...but, the first trip out all i could do was look down at the hub as the bike approched 100, 120 140 mph,....

i had a picture of the bearing, under load, spinning round, in my head,...its all i could think about , and it spoilt my run out in the sun,...

i sold it shortly after and bought a different bike,...

now the front end is serviced by a dealer..,..hahah

not that i dont trust my skills,...but KNOWING just bothered me,...ignorance, in this case is pretty blissful,..:):)

i wonder if surgeons are constantly worried about their organs???

and if in 200 years we will all just accept that the saw is programmed not to hurt humans,.and not give it a second thought.

or will our deep set human survival instincts remain and we will probably still run away from spiders,..or in this case not touch the sharp spinny thing,..

cheers

Stu

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK

I also use a table mounter router quite a lot, before changing the cutter I unplug it , then press the start switch !!!!.

Cheers

MikeyBear

REALLY Like those last 5 words. Good practice and habit to get into as well.

The one time the router started up, I practically wet myself, absolutely no danger in that situation , but the thought of what could have happened.

Cheers

MikeyBear

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Faith in machinery and technology,....hmm,..

i think its all relative,..

i wonder if the guy with the stone axe dismissed the guy with the "new fangled bronze one" ,...its the work of the devil !!!,..hahahaha

i,m neither a techo or a luddite,...i just accept that history is littered with a thousand times more failed designs than successful ones,...

i can contribute my experience of a phenomenon / phsycology with my front wheel bearings on the bike though,..

i,m from an engineering background and like to do all my own maintenance etc,...

i changed the front wheel bearings on my bad motor scooter once,...

and i noted how small they were, obviously they were rated well beyond the limits of what was needed to keep the front wheel on and turning ok,...

and my rational thoughts reflected this,...but, the first trip out all i could do was look down at the hub as the bike approched 100, 120 140 mph,....

i had a picture of the bearing, under load, spinning round, in my head,...its all i could think about , and it spoilt my run out in the sun,...

i sold it shortly after and bought a different bike,...

now the front end is serviced by a dealer..,..hahah

not that i dont trust my skills,...but KNOWING just bothered me,...ignorance, in this case is pretty blissful,..:):)

i wonder if surgeons are constantly worried about their organs???

and if in 200 years we will all just accept that the saw is programmed not to hurt humans,.and not give it a second thought.

or will our deep set human survival instincts remain and we will probably still run away from spiders,..or in this case not touch the sharp spinny thing,..

cheers

Stu

In my experience as the human race advances brand new inventions rarely come about any more.

More often than not it's an idea from failed invention here, an idea from another failed invention there and an improvement there.

Look at the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) as an example.
If you could grab a current engine out of say a GSXR1000 and take it back to say the 1700's there would be a few people around even back then that would understand the theory behind it.

1800's and it's alleged that a few people would recognise that it's a 4 stroke engine.

First quarter of the 1900's and i'd bet you could find a few folks that'd be able to fix it mechanically.

It's power output from it's size would absolutely blow these folks away though, even more though they would struggle to imagine the existence of solid state electronics, computers, software etc, never mind have it so small it controls absolutely every aspect of the motors running.

Might also be of interest that when ICE motors started taking sales away from steam engines, the steam engine sellers used to deride ICE motors as "explosion motors" :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I was a lad working for Safeway a butcher was cutting frozen NZ lamb on a band saw, his fingers were so cold he felt no pain as the tops of his fingers came off:eek:

Maybe in fifty years people will look back and think we were crazy not using this new safety gizmo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE