How much dose you pack weigh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I love my cuben fibre gear from MLD, my pack including food and water is about 4 or 5kg, thats for a 100 mile hike, i could never go back to carrying 20+kg packs. Took a lot of time and experience to get it that light, but well worth it as my hikes are so much more enjoyable.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
13 kg was the lightest i got my kit with food & water, for a 2 day/night trip, but thats in a heavy canvas & leather pack. Did the same walk may last year, & my pack(same one)weighed in at nearly 16kg, leaving the cegga at home made a difference.

Rob

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Coln i take it you get water along the way? that's my main problem,i drink alot of it,and there's none where i go so have to take alot,plus the food makes up a large portion of my weight to carry, if you had to carry enough water for 100miles your pack would seriously jump up it weight. I'd need to take a desalinator with me.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Coln i take it you get water along the way? that's my main problem,i drink alot of it,and there's none where i go so have to take alot,plus the food makes up a large portion of my weight to carry, if you had to carry enough water for 100miles your pack would seriously jump up it weight. I'd need to take a desalinator with me.
It all depends where im hiking Andy, if i see from maps that theres lots of fresh water from mountain streams then i drink as i go. Im currently using the aquamira water drops and they are really effective. I,ve also used the steripen which is lightweight too, food wise for the last year i've been using a dehydrator alot tastier than bought freeze dried food.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
In summer, my pack is around 5.5kg plus food and fuel for a hammock trip. For a week, It would weigh about 12-14kg all told and a lot of the weight goes on the first night as I will take nice food for it.

I usually only carry a litre of water which is topped up at the next water source. An aquaguard inline filter on my water bladder saves me carrying the uneeded excess weight of water. I have 5lt of water storage for the camp if Im away from a source

For a winter trip, the weight will almost double.

10kg is a nice weight-not a chore to carry and I see no need to try and get under this too often.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I see all these ultralight packs and gear, but the truth is I like the tough (and heavy duty) military gear. I like my US army pack, I like my Crusader cup, my Zebra billy ..etc..
That said I don't want to carry silly weights. I just try to carry less stuff. When I see all manner of stuff people carry I wonder how they get it so light.

I've managed to get my base weight down to about 12-15kg...

But the killer is water and food... 1L of water is 1kg plus the canteen bottles. A days food is also around 1kg too.. So if I need 3L of water plus 3 days food, I've got 6kg extra right there.

Last trip out I had around 21kg on the pack...

cheers
Gareth

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Hi there
I see all these ultralight packs and gear, but the truth is I like the tough (and heavy duty) military gear. I like my US army pack, I like my Crusader cup, my Zebra billy ..etc..
That said I don't want to carry silly weights. I just try to carry less stuff. When I see all manner of stuff people carry I wonder how they get it so light.

But the killer is water and food... 1L of water is 1kg plus the canteen bottles. A days food is also around 1kg too.. So if I need 3L of water plus 3 days food, I've got 6kg extra right there.

cheers
Gareth

Hi Gareth, i have all the equipment you listed too, crusader cup, zebra billy etc, but over the last few years ive learnt to use certain pieces of equipment for certain jobs, if im just bushcrafting it up the woods, i take my heavy duty duluth bushcrafter pack, which if i remember right weighs about 4000kg lol, then load it with axes, knifes and plenty of toys, so in the end it weighs a ton, but on the other hand if im hiking over a hundred miles, i want to finish each day feeling relaxed and not feeling like a part time sherpa.

When you go ultralight, you cover so much more ground quicker, even when you dont think your pushing it, i managed the west highland way which is 96 miles long in 3 days, no way would i even have considered it with a heavy pack, so its really not a case of i like heavy duty gear and sticking to it, i found that after trying some ultralight gear that i would never go back to the heavy weight packs. means ive got the energy at the end of a hard days walk for a few pints in the pub and chilling with my friends telling stories about the trail, rather than getting to camp site and collapsing in my tent right away....

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire

cheers
Gareth

I suppose looking a base weight my pack comes in at 11-12Kg. I have been looking at water treatment system but am still not sure what i want, but will probs go with a UV stick and filter bag as it doesn't involve using any chemicals. Plus I've just finished a small machete type knife that will hopefully replace my axe knocking a few 100g out of my pack.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
For me what you pack is very personal. In addition to this it also depends what / where / when your going.

I like to take my eldest son with me, but at only 7 he can't carry his fair share. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68892&highlight=

If I'm on my own this is the base I try and start with, it would change depending on weather conditions I.e. Bigger tarp or exped mat for wet / cold respectively. if I know camp will have a hammocking spot then I'd replace ground gear to hammock to suit etc

Starting at top going clockwise:

DD tarp 3 x 3
Alpkit airmat
Ali non stick frying pan / Ali pan
Msr petrol stove
Utensils / mug
Sak
Petzl
Wash kit
MSR water filter
FAK
Mountain equipment down sleeping bag
Bivi bag
Lowe alpine sting

d2497e67.jpg

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Probs about 20-25kg's for a two dayer, minimum with that would be at least 8lt's of water.Cant afford all the uber light kit,and i cant think of a way of making water weigh less than it does,have to take it as there's none where i go.

pack dehydrated water

WanderLust

May 11, 2011
US
Just weighed mine in.... 52lbs...Ill let you fellas over the pond play with the conversion stuff. The rucksack itself is 7lbs.

6 liters of water ( 2 3L camelbak bladders)
Wetterlings Large Hunting Axe
ammunition
rifle
flashlight
fire kit
Shangri la 5
Ti Goat cylinder stove
woobie
thermarest pad
hunting outfit
extra socks/underwear
headlamp
bible and journal/pen
fishing kit
boot knife
food
21" bucksaw
book by Uncle Ray
deet/perm
vibram toe shoes
toiletry and sundry pack
IFAK
snare wire
6" 800/1200 grit water stone
******* file
handleless chisel
crook knife
extra saw blade
folding saw
shammy
straight razor
and some other goodies

Still young, fit and handsome to boot... the aid bag I carried as a medic was 100lbs so this is easy street for me

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I definitely need to do something about the amount of kit I carry. Currently, for a winter week walking it comes in at around 30kg including food and water (4 lt.). I do look to replenish drunk water at the first opportunity.

I do like to have a change of clothing and enjoy both my self inflating mat and using a tent, then there's the stainless steel Swedish Army cook set.

These posters with a third of the weight I carry are both inspiring and challenging. ;)

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I carry about 11.5Kg for a 3 day trip. that includes 2 litres of water and about 2.5kg of food. So that's about 7KG base weight. Would probably be more like 10.5Kg in the summer though.

Personally, I would only take one lightweight pot and scrap the grill. But then I prefer to carry dehydrated meals and be lighter, so that means only boiling water. But that's your personal preference I guess.

I also don't bother with spare batteries, I just make sure that mine have a lot of juice. If I did, I'd probably just take one set.

Last edited:

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
Well despite being a bit weighty the grill was a life saver :) just got back from a few days in Derbyshire. The entire wood was saturated in water and we couldn't find dry materials to start a fire with so we sate the grill on top of my stove, stacked it with tinder and dried it out and lit it with the stove's flame then lifted the entire grill off and built a fire around it which we used to dry off our socks and brew a few cups of pine tea :D

LuckyDucky

Forager
Dec 7, 2011
Hertfordshire
Surly not all the wood was wet. The only thing i do know lol is even if there is no visable dry wood there will always be some. If you split the wood/logs down the inside will be dry and burn better in smaller pieces. Learnt that off ray mears.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE