How much does your pack weigh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For me, in the winter (UK) it's:

Snugpak SF2 bag - 1800g
TS1 liner - 350g
DPM basha - ~600g
Pegs - 60g
DPM bivvi bag - ~600g
Exped Synmatt UL + pillow pump - 455g + 145g
Crusader cooker + cup + bottle - ~500g
Firesteel - 32g
Knife - 65g
LMF spork - 15g

For a total of 4.622kg

That doesn't include a pack. Depending on what I'm doing, I may take any of a selection of packs weighing 1.2kg-2.8kg. I am saving up for a 1kg pack that I like the look of.

Obviously this is just the base kit, depending what I'm doing, other things may get added to it. In summer the only change is replacing the SF2 with a SF1 bag at about 1.2kg.

J

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
For a week long walk like the ridgeway, my pack weighs between 40 - 45 pounds, I could get the weight down but at the moment I am happy to haul it all. The weight creeps up for me having a berghaus vulcan and lots of space. I take a vango banshee flysheet and bivvy bag so I can wild camp and blend in on a normal campsite, which doesn't help the weight issue.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
My 65l berghaus weighs 5lbs empty, I do wonder on the durability of these new light weight bags,

Modern lightweight packs will not last as long as a heavyweight military pack. People like zpacks or MLD etc expect their packs to last for one thruhike which if something like the PCT is a big old walk. Horses for courses. If you want bomb proof hand on to the kids type pack then a military pack is the way. If you want performance for long distance and gradients then you have to accept a reduced lifespan of the gear. Id rather replace my pack than my hips so for mountain walking its light light light.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
All came in at a spine rearranging 17kgs

hip belts are quite good for that.

Anything thats car camping or overnighter you don't really need to worry I think. If you can carry 5 days a short stint wont be any different.

Mines for 5 days

tent - 1.1
sleeping bag 1.4
mat 0.3
cooker pan wondshield 0.6
waterproof 0.4
water bottles + filter 0.3
headphones lantern battery 0.5
small possy pouch 0.5
extras (cup headtorch, cutlery etc)0.8

totalling 5.9 kg plus

a bag with a hip belt 1.5
food 6.0
water 2.0
fuel 1.0
clothes 1.0

equalling
17.4 kg

rg598

Native
My 65l berghaus weighs 5lbs empty, I do wonder on the durability of these new light weight bags,

They are very durable. At least more durable than anyone would need for going into the woods. They should last you years, if not a lifetime. Most of the respected modern manufacturers like Osprey guarantee their packs forever.

Military packs are designed to be used by people who are mission focused and have no time to deal with their gear or take care of it. They are expected to be thrown off buildings, pulled along the ground, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE